Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

There’s a documentary about sleep paralysis called “The Nightmare” on Netflix, if anyone’s interested.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

According to the experts, everybody experiences paralysis when they're sound asleep, which would include when they're dreaming.  That's supposedly why it's so common to have dreams like when you couldn't fight back, or where you're trying to run but it feels like your feet are stuck in molasses, and so on.  I remember once having a nightmare where I was in some sort of terrifying danger and trying desperately to shout for help; apparently the effort started to waken me, and I was finally able to yell "Help!!!" just as I woke -- which of course also woke Alex, but he has occasional nightmares too, so he was sympathetic.

I've known two people who are/were into out-of-body experiences.  I suspect such things might happen now and then, but I'm not convinced.  In any case, I'd be quite hesitant to intentionally try to make that happen, lest I succeed and then not be able to get back.

It's basically an episode when your mind is awake but not your body. Apparently see, feel something that is not there and hallucinating is not uncommon, so does choking. Anyway, after knowing those, I probably experienced it again but I'd just brush it off. 

The other weird thing I experience quite often is shaking bed, and normally I'd be awake. Originally I thought they are dreamw, but gradually I was half awake (and felt it) and fully awake (and felt it). Since I can't explain it (not earthquake), I have learned to ignore it.

7 hours ago, J.P. said:

I developed a test: I try to slap myself. If it feels like I'm moving slowly through honey and cannot feel pain, I'm still asleep. :D

Did you ask whether it's a subtext before you slap yourself in the face? XD

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

The other weird thing I experience quite often is shaking bed, and normally I'd be awake. Originally I thought they are dreamw, but gradually I was half awake (and felt it) and fully awake (and felt it). Since I can't explain it (not earthquake), I have learned to ignore it.

The only times I've experienced that, it *was* an earthquake, so I have no idea what you felt.  Unless -- was your little doggie playing trampoline?  Was your heart pounding?  Was your downstairs neighbor playing his subwoofer extra loud?

More snow, boooooo.  At least this was a quick one.

8e34633c8a8f22bc345606ddb3bff428.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

That's a quick one?!  :blink:

It was sunny and cool here yesterday, but very, very gusty.  Around 6 pm the electricity went off.  I was hoping/ expecting it'd be back on by dark, but apparently there were a whole lotta limbs down.  Our power didn't come back on till half past midnight, and some people apparently had to wait even longer.

Weird how quiet it gets.  Other than an occasional car going by and the ticking of a battery-powered clock, all I could hear was my own tinnitus.

^ Ewwww!  I’ve done that before, it’s not pleasant.

My dog’s new medicine is making him have to pee a lot, and he was already a potty machine; so I’ve been stepping in a lot of puddles in unexpected places lately.

It was really windy here the night before last too, the house was blowing over.  I was waiting for the power to go out, which seems to happen at the drop of a hat in this neighborhood.  To my great surprise, it never did.

On 10/20/2018 at 2:30 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

The only times I've experienced that, it *was* an earthquake, so I have no idea what you felt.  Unless -- was your little doggie playing trampoline?  Was your heart pounding?  Was your downstairs neighbor playing his subwoofer extra loud?

I would love to see my little doggie playing trampoline :D!

No, none of that. It's usually quiet, the most quiet time of the night. Used to creep me out, but I have learned to live with it. It doesn't happen often, but often enough that I recognize the pattern. There could a be a Smaug below my house foundation, but that would mean he follows me around since it happened in different places, even country.

I went for a three hour beach walk with my doggie and we went through stretch of beach we had never gone before, and encounter a group of friendly dogs that grew exponentially in number around us. It was great time, but I accused every each of them of smelling like poop before realizing that I was the one who stepped on that nasty shit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

There could a be a Smaug below my house foundation,

Or a Balrog.

tumblr_mu8a6ivh0d1s3ulybo4_r1_250.gif

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I would love to see my little doggie playing trampoline :D!

Reminded me of Buster the Boxer.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I'm so depressed it's Monday. It's cold and dark and I'm sad. :(

About anything in particular -- or just that it's a cold, dark Monday?

7 hours ago, Artemis said:

Reminded me of Buster the Boxer.  :lol:

Wow, that's a long ad. And extraordinarily well animated. I've never heard of a John Lewis, except for the civil rights activist/congressman.

I always lose it when all the forest animals start jumping together in slow motion, and then again when the parents make this face:

Buster_The_Boxer_-_John_Lewis_Christmas_

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I've never heard of a John Lewis....

It seems to be a discount department store with locations all over the UK.

• Thanks 1

Posh discounts. What a concept! :D 

I assume that ad was inspired at least somewhat by this:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, besleybean said:

Yeah it is a traditional department store...I wouldn't say they are discount.

I based my "discount" assumption on the "never knowingly undersold since 1925" claim at the bottom of their web pages.  Maybe they just don't want to be put out of business by the actual discount stores?

They seem to have been around for a while -- odd that I'd never heard of them (as I had Harrods,  Marks & Spencer, Liberty, Selfridges....).  Maybe because their name is so -- ordinary?  Will have to check out their Oxford Street store next time I'm in London.

Just you saying that makes me shiver...

They're not really my kind of shop, tho I did buy a pack of pop sox from them!

I was standing for hours by the make up/perfume counters, waiting for my pal....

Every sisngle rep offered me a make over, when it is perfectly obvious I never wear ANY make up!

• Haha 1