Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

Bingo.  I've heard that the hourly pay is considerably better, though.

I think one major reason the company prefers using contractors is that it can get rid of them at any time with none of the legally-required niceties involved in laying off one of their own employees.

7 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Bingo.  I've heard that the hourly pay is considerably better, though.

In my experience, pay is the same or worse.  It probably depends on the type of work.

Probably.  In the cases I was talking about, the people involved had been doing this specialized work for years, so they were highly skilled.

So yesterday I had my first vertigo, hopefully the last. I had watched my mom had hers, so I understand what was going through, especially when everything started to spin out of control. Still, it sucks a lot. It got to the point that I threw up three times but luckily, still able to function. The culprit should be the long exposure of strong wind right next to my left ear that could be the cause of imbalance, with addition that I just had some irritant on the left side of my throat days earlier, really hope that is the reason. Just a day and two ago I did some two-storey climb and walking next to the edge because I needed to check my water tank, and I wouldn't want to miss the ability to do all those.

I have done some reading and wish it's one time thing, which is very possible.

Have you guys experience it? If yes, what cause yours and how do you cope?

• Sad 1

I agree with Besleybean.

I've only had it once, and it was due to an ear infection, and I needed antibiotics. Cleared up in 2-3 days. But yours sounds worse than mine … I was dizzy, but not throwing up.

How/why I got the ear infection in the first place … unknown. But I remember it happened after I'd been out in a cold wind, and to this day that ear hurts if I don't protect it from the wind, so I blame the wind. But I experienced a lot worse winds when I was younger and didn't have trouble with my ears, so who knows if there's actually a connection.

By the way, for a moment there I thought you were announcing you were pregnant..... :blink: 

Last month my friend said she didn't want to be my friend anymore, why that happened is a story for another time. The point is that ever since that happened people keep telling me that all she needs is time or are asking me if she reached out to make amends. First of all stop asking me if she texted me, it's getting annoying. I already told one person I would let her know if she texted me, I'm sure I need to say the same to others in the future. Secondly stop telling me that all she needs is time, our friendship is damaged beyond repair! She is not going to reach out to make amends and if I would try it, she would refuse to make amends. I appreciate that you're trying to cheer me up, but you don't know her. You don't know how immature, stubborn and resentful she can be. So stop giving me false hope!

• Sad 2

I'm sorry you are going through this and it's absolutely alright to come here and sound off, that's exactly what this place is for...

But if you post, you have to accept people may reply and say things you don't want to hear!

11 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

Last month my friend said she didn't want to be my friend anymore, why that happened is a story for another time. The point is that ever since that happened people keep telling me that all she needs is time or are asking me if she reached out to make amends. First of all stop asking me if she texted me, it's getting annoying. I already told one person I would let her know if she texted me, I'm sure I need to say the same to others in the future. Secondly stop telling me that all she needs is time, our friendship is damaged beyond repair! She is not going to reach out to make amends and if I would try it, she would refuse to make amends. I appreciate that you're trying to cheer me up, but you don't know her. You don't know how immature, stubborn and resentful she can be. So stop giving me false hope!

Poor you. :( I went through something like that with my best friend from our teens, many years ago, and while we did get into contact again a decade later (we still move in the same clique, more or less), like you said it was never the same again. Some things can't be mended, unfortunately, much as we'd want them to (I still mourn that friendship). But there are friends that will stay through thick and thin, too, promise, and funnily, often enough those that you wouldn't have expected to, back when you first met. Hang in there. :hugz:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/3/2020 at 10:22 PM, besleybean said:
I'm sorry you are going through this and it's absolutely alright to come here and sound off, that's exactly what this place is for...
But if you post, you have to accept people may reply and say things you don't want to hear!

I know that, but as long it isn't "She just needs time" or "things are going to be alright" I can live with it.

On 2/4/2020 at 7:33 AM, Caya said:
Poor you. I went through something like that with my best friend from our teens, many years ago, and while we did get into contact again a decade later (we still move in the same clique, more or less), like you said it was never the same again. Some things can't be mended, unfortunately, much as we'd want them to (I still mourn that friendship). But there are friends that will stay through thick and thin, too, promise, and funnily, often enough those that you wouldn't have expected to, back when you first met. Hang in there. :hugz:

Funny you should say that, I recently saw a friend who I haven't seen in quite some time. Hopefully I can see him more often, I missed him.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 10:05 PM, Arcadia said:

By the way, for a moment there I thought you were announcing you were pregnant.....

I wonder why, I get quite a lot of this all my life. My ex boss contacted me last month asking if I want to do some freelance job, and I said as long as I could do it remotely, because I can't travel at the moment, and the first thing he asked was that. :D 

On 2/4/2020 at 2:33 PM, Caya said:

But there are friends that will stay through thick and thin, too, promise, and funnily, often enough those that you wouldn't have expected to, back when you first met.

I try to refrain myself from thinking if I have those..

On 2/19/2020 at 8:30 PM, Fantasy Lover said:

Funny you should say that, I recently saw a friend who I haven't seen in quite some time. Hopefully I can see him more often, I missed him.

I think despite all the technologies that enable us to connect better with friends, it feels colder now. I used to check my mail box happily and get hand written letter, for some reason those bonds seem to be stronger than current online presence. There was excitement with appointments and meet-up and it felt more genuine. And you can tell which of those who really make the effort to get in touch and it's a thing to really miss a friend. Maybe I'm outdated, one of the reason I don't like social media is because I don't feel like I trust the people in there, and overload of presence of certain people, give me the chance to actually miss you!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet Jesus, this whole situation is making everyone a bit too paranoid if you ask me. My mom took the bus with me today, and she warned me that I shouldn't use my fingers to press the button to signal I want to get out or to open or close the doors. First of all, how on earth do you want to do these things WITHOUT using fingers? Secondly, I will wash my hands once I get home. So what's the big deal? Seriously, what gives?

1 hour ago, Fantasy Lover said:

she warned me that I shouldn't use my fingers to press the button to signal I want to get out or to open or close the doors. First of all, how on earth do you want to do these things WITHOUT using fingers?

It depends on the size and shape of the button, but I sometimes use my elbows for things like that.  If you need something smaller, even your knuckle might be safer than a finger-tip, assuming you're less likely to touch your face with your knuckles.  Or whatever object might be handy -- a pen, umbrella tip, etc.  What did your mother recommend using?

Yeah, that could work, depending on the button.

When I was a kid, there were a lot of public restrooms where the toilets did not have individual tanks; they were hooked up to a common pipe which I suppose carried pressurized water.  Anyhow, there was a lever sticking out of the wall beside the toilet, maybe 2 feet (60 cm) above the floor.  Mom taught me to press it with my foot, and I still do that in restrooms with that sort of lever (though I don't recall seeing many in recent years).

It wasn't until much later that it occurred to me to wonder what the designers had in mind when they placed the lever at that rather awkward height -- high enough that pressing it with a foot tends to put one a bit off-balance, but low enough that one might find it awkward to bend down and press it with a hand.  (Surely we're not intended to press it while seated?  :blink: )  Maybe they simply intended to give us the option of doing it either way.

Anyhow, my point is, Sheerluck is right -- mothers have always been like that.  It's their job to keep us safe while we're little, and it apparently gets to be a habit.

9 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

Sweet Jesus, this whole situation is making everyone a bit too paranoid if you ask me. My mom took the bus with me today, and she warned me that I shouldn't use my fingers to press the button to signal I want to get out or to open or close the doors. First of all, how on earth do you want to do these things WITHOUT using fingers? Secondly, I will wash my hands once I get home. So what's the big deal? Seriously, what gives?

8 hours ago, Sheerluck said:

It is a precaution against accidentally touching your face, mouth, nose or eyes before you get to wash your hands. Mums are funny that way.

You know, I have switched position with my mom now.  I'm the one who nags on everything. Drink more water, wash hand, don't touch this and that, eat healthier, well, because I really love her and want her to be well. Nevermind she is annoyed by me. When I was annoyed by her back then, deep down I know that means she cares, and pretty sure she knows now that means I care about her too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, J.P. said:

Ten unnecessary precautions are better than one carelessness if you ask me.

I agree (within reason, of course).  Most precautions are easy enough to take.

Currently on Shark Week (49 and I still get it like clockwork every four weeks :blowmytop: ) and just stumbled over this, truer words never spoken:

IL1p8Yx.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Caya said:

Currently on Shark Week

At first I thought you were talking about some TV show that I'd never heard of.  But after reading the rest of your post, I realized it's actually a "female" euphemism that I'd never heard of.  Added:  Then again, I see that it's both!

2 hours ago, Caya said:

(49 and I still get it like clockwork every four weeks :blowmytop: )

Hang in there, just a few more years....

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Caya said:

Currently on Shark Week (49 and I still get it like clockwork every four weeks :blowmytop: ) and just stumbled over this, truer words never spoken:

IL1p8Yx.jpg

:patpatpat: What Carol said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1