Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

Couple of roller coaster emotion days for me.

I've been thinking about the stray dogs on my regular beaches. I feed them, but what I do is hardly significant, probably a meal or two, some treats every couple of days. With this social distancing and quarantine thing, I have refrained myself from going out, as I only have me for my dog and myself to count on, and continue hoping that other more regular feeders who live nearby, will continue to do their routine (I stay one hour++ drive away). Well of course, my worries grow daily, as restaurants around (dog's food source as well) are closing, and eventhough some feeders have their organzation and donations unlike me, it would still be difficult to cope, it's already difficult on normal time.

Then couple of days ago, I read that all the accesses and streets leading to the beaches are closed, and it stressed me out badly, I was worried sick for all of them, especially for a dog who I had befriend for more than 7 years, my very first friend here. And if I had known her for 7 years, she is not a young dog. How if they roam further out and create disturbance? There are a lot of bad humans who are not kind to them. On my regular short walk on the beach, each, I could have more than twenty strays. Some of them came from different teritories but recognize our timing to gather around. Most are well-behaved, sterilized and vaccinated, they are wonderful. Although there are quite a number of people doing bad things to them, generally they are happy and quite well taken cared of. But now, situation is different, very different indeed. Couldn't think clearly I was in distraught.

For a long time, long before I adopted my current dog (his original family promises to provide a place to stay everytime I travel and he desperately needed a home), I had always considered adopting one of these strays, namely my this first friend. But I know she wouldn't be happy with me, I work long hours, I don't have big yard or home, I travel a lot, compare it to this beautiful beach where she gets to be free, chasing bird and catching fish. So eventhough she tries to follow me, sometimes I have to sneak away and there were times I actually pretend to throw rock because she dangerously caught up with me to the main street, and looks very sad everytime I leave, I know she can't be with me, at least not now. Maybe when she is older and all she needs is a warm place and my occasional presence.

But with the situation now, is it the time? I can't help not doing anything eventhough I'm not in great position at all. I can't help twenty, but maybe one? Temporary? The one who is always kind and dear to me, who is always there for me since the beginning. I have faint idea about how to make it work, I could put her in my work place, there is a decent enough area, I could do this and that... very doubtful, of course I have many worries as I take having another dog as serious and costly responsibility, even for temporary until things get better.

So the day after work, Saturday, I went out for a drive, wanted to check the situation as I haven't gone out for so long except for work. I checked the area to see if the access to her beach is closed, I didn't see it being blocked from outside, because there is a half a kilometer road that serves for the surrounding access as well before the parking area to the beach, I suspect it's closed on that point.

Sunday very early in the morning, I went there and the access looked half-closed but enough to fit a car. At first I was hesitant and parked outside, then decided it looked okay to park inside, there were still people around, not much as it was very early (reason why they close the beach is because not many people are respecting actual social distancing and responsible habits), but even after a while, I couldn't find her. She is always there, always comes to me, always responds to my unique call, but not that day. So I went back and had a bad day. Had to work again on Monday, not sure if when I could find good time again except next Sunday but I couldn't wait that long. At least for now it seems possible that others could feed her, but I could never know when they would really close the access, since the other spots to the beach are tightly sealed. And where on earth is she??? Since I was actually very afraid of this responsibility I was about to take, I actually thought if I couldn't find her, it means it's not meant to be. But arghhhhh

So again, I planned everything and woke up even earlier on Monday, and once again, I could get into the beach. And she was not there at first, then I spotted her from very far away, a familiar figure, tried to call her and slowly but sure, she heard me and gradually approached and broke into a sprint to me. Normally I would greet her with food, but this time I tried to take her home. It's not easy since there were other dogs around, one kept pulling on my short (on the point I was about to expose myself, it's heartbreaking like if you have to choose one of those you love) but I managed to get her.

Reached home, both her and my dog were very well-behaved. My dog recognized his good friend, and didn't disturb us when I cleaned and bathed her up, then fed her. She probably never been bathed, maybe, but she was cooperative and seemed to understand that I meant well. Quickly cooked more food and she happily ate it all and then slept peacefully, but I can't leave her there for many reasons.

I brought both of them to work, at night she had to be here, there is decent area for her, with low barrier because for safety reason, she couldn't roam around. On day time there is indoor yard for her to play. I called the vet to make appointment for vaccination but first, I administered worm tablet and tick prevention. Ordered dog food to be delivered and happy that she was with us and continue planning the realistic logistic for days to come eventhough I had already thought endlessly about it.

She was hesitant, scared at first, but calm when I was around. Only when I was around. Sadly, like what I have been afraid of, she seemed stress especially when she had to be in the room, she tried to destroy, tried to squeeze out and got stuck, and showed sign of being stressed, like confused and salivating. It was worrisome and obviously I couldn't always be there for her, at some point of the day, my presence didn't even really help. I was so sad to see that I almost wanted to send her back that afternoon, but decided to wait a night. She slept for couple of hour but managed to destroy her way out.  I couldn't bring myself to get angry at her anymore (tried to discipline her during day time) how could I, I was the one who plucked her from her home and brought to strange depressing place, she didn't ask for it. So again, after many consideration, sleepless night and looking at her still wagging her tail, I couldn't risk her losing her happiness and health, and her position on the beach the longer I force her to stay. So, another early dark  morning I fed her, and sadly drove her back. We sat there for a while, like old time sake, watched the sunrise and off we went to different direction, she didn't hesitate.

Maybe when I have more certainty and ability to provide her with more comfortable place and significant presence, and when she really needs me in her aging years. For now, I have to accept that I can't be selfish to get her just to make me feel better. I'll see if I could go to continue drop by and quickly feeding her as long as I could still sneak in.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I know, it's hard to see homeless animals and not want to do something. (This is why I can't visit certain pet stores.) But I think you did the right thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree, you did the right thing -- the only thing you really could have done, in fact.  And she clearly still trusts you, she just values her freedom.  So for now, just do what you can for her.

Now that she's familiar with your home and knows she'd be well fed and cared for there, she'll be able to make the canine equivalent of an informed decision -- so that if there comes a time when she values security and comfort more than freedom, she'll go with you willingly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Update: this morning I went there to look for her, armed with food, and there she was, she sprinted to me so fast she almost knocked me out. So she is not angry with me and yes she still trust me :Fuzzy:Obviously hungry, but she looks well and healthy. As usual, watched sunrise with her and when I left, she walked with me for awhile and then she was gone (it was short distance to parking area). Don't worry no more kidnapping. Until next time.

Thanks guys, it's nice to hear that. I'm currently on strike from messaging two of my friends, who are close enough for me to share my worries about the dogs (before all this happened) (that teaches me not to ever drown with emotion and message someone at the moment) and eventhough they meant well, I'm a bit pissed. They had few suggestions for example to bring couple of dogs home and others or asked questions that, I know, they are trying to 'help', but all I can take from them is "why can't you do more?" without lifting more than fingers and actually being realistic with every factor. I don't even feel the need to justify with answers, in fact, I am probably more pissed (pisser? :P) than I should. Don't preach me about what is ideal, I know what is ideal. I always know what is ideal but I have buried idealism long time ago, it's all talk. All my life experiences teach me that idealism is disappointing and depressing. I have thought about every single scenarios all these year, even before the crisis. I can't help it but they make me feel very bad so I have stopped communicating with them until I'm less pissed (unpissed? :P)

And I think, that is still the reason why I hardly confide with friends. When I have worries and difficulties, I'd rather shut down from them than hearing various ideal situation that I have thought before and end up making me feel worse. I prefer to come here and subject you all to long random rant, since there are little chance you could actually throw me something rotten. I find it easier and most of the time, you guys make me feel better. Thanks :wub:

And this is to confirm our discussion some time ago that there is no altruism, I did those to make me feel better. In fact, I probably feel better now knowing I had tried and failed, my theory of seven years wondering if she would be happy if I just allow her to come back with me have been proven, at least for now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The right decision isn't always the easy one, and fwiw, I concur you did right by her. Our Lilly is a former street dog as well, from Istanbul, and while she loves it here with us and happily transitioned to family dog, there was a certain learning curve and adaption period for both parties (for instance, she used to be nocturnal, which wasn't that great when her humans had to get up in the morning). And you can tell when we're out on a walk that she still misses the free roaming she used to do in her youth, only what can you do? I mean, she's smart about cars and would probably be safe, but you can't really let a Rottie loose in a suburban neighborhood without people flipping out because of the vicious beast on the prowl. :rolleyes: So yes, there's a trade-off for a dog when adopted, sadly, and while Lilly seems happy with it (helps that Rotties are rather territorial and she clearly loves having her own place) your doggie friend obviously wasn't. Keep looking out for her :wub: and giving her love and, like you said, maybe she'll reconsider when she gets older.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2020 at 8:06 PM, Caya said:

The right decision isn't always the easy one, and fwiw, I concur you did right by her. Our Lilly is a former street dog as well, from Istanbul, and while she loves it here with us and happily transitioned to family dog, there was a certain learning curve and adaption period for both parties (for instance, she used to be nocturnal, which wasn't that great when her humans had to get up in the morning). And you can tell when we're out on a walk that she still misses the free roaming she used to do in her youth, only what can you do? I mean, she's smart about cars and would probably be safe, but you can't really let a Rottie loose in a suburban neighborhood without people flipping out because of the vicious beast on the prowl. :rolleyes: So yes, there's a trade-off for a dog when adopted, sadly, and while Lilly seems happy with it (helps that Rotties are rather territorial and she clearly loves having her own place) your doggie friend obviously wasn't. Keep looking out for her :wub: and giving her love and, like you said, maybe she'll reconsider when she gets older.

Indeed. The learning curve and adaptation period is crucial and not something I could give much right now. And for my current condition I'm still juggling to live in two places at one, definitely not a good situation to introduce new dog, I could easily jeopardize her health and happiness which would do more harm than good. And yes, I'm holding hope that I'll be able to provide her good home and peace when she is older (I'm guessing she is at least 9 years old now. At least) and needs it. If she needs it and wants it, I'm willing to work hard on it regardless situation I will be in, at least she'll feel loved when the time comes, as thank you for her presence in my life, eventhough it'll be heartbreaking. She is always there and protective, she teaches me and my dogs many things and there were so many countless sunrises we had shared. The sad thing about most dark-colored dog (she is black and white), their aging looks very visible when the furs on her face turns grey.

Forgive me, I shall go back and post some other mindless lighter nitpicks next time.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Okay, Im gonna say this now to get it off my chest. I absolutely hate west side story! What is actually the point of it? 

1. Its racist. They can't even bring themselves to hire actual puerto rican actors, so they do fake tans on white actors and use terrible accents!

2. The songs are cringy. Pure cringe. The only good song is Officer Kruptke, and I even have some reservations about THAT.

3. It is so unrealistic. He killed your brother, for gods sake! His friends tried to rape your sister! Do you even care?

4. Why would she kill herself for a random boy she met only that week?

5. It is a terrible, cliche Romeo and Juliet rip-off

6. The first 5 minuites is JUST THE TITLE!!!

I will never watch that movie again, unless its to mock it.

I didn't mean this in a rude way, I just don't like it. And I think my points are reasonable.

13 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

Okay, Im gonna say this now to get it off my chest. I absolutely hate west side story! What is actually the point of it?

Hey, there are people on here who don't like Sherlock (particularly S3 and S4), for pete's sake!  As long as we're polite, it's all fine.

West Side Story has never been one of my favorites either, but I'm gonna disagree with you on some points.

1. Its racist. They can't even bring themselves to hire actual puerto rican actors, so they do fake tans on white actors and use terrible accents!

I think it's important to remember that the movie was released in 1961.  By the standards of that era, it was actually pretty good.  Bear in mind that only some of the characters (the Sharks and their families) are Puerto Rican.

Anita (Maria's best friend, one of the three main Shark characters) is played by Rita Moreno, who really is Puerto Rican.  (She won both the Oscar and the Golden Globe for the role.)

Three Shark supporting characters (of the ten listed by Wikipedia) are played by actors with Hispanic first names and/or surnames: Jose de Vega (Chino), Rudy Del Campo (Del Campo), and Jaime Rogers (Loco).  It's  possible that some of the other supporting actors also have Hispanic roots that don't show in their names.

2. The songs are cringy. Pure cringe. The only good song is Officer Kruptke, and I even have some reservations about THAT.

I like some of the songs, am not so keen on others.

Regarding the "Officer Krupke" song, when I was a kid, I thought it was really funny, and once embarrassed my mother horribly by quoting the line "Hey, I got a social disease!" rather loudly in a department store.  I had assumed that "a social disease" meant something like "a behavioral problem" (as it's "defined" in the song), and had absolutely no idea that it was a then-current euphemism for an STD.

3. It is so unrealistic. He killed your brother, for gods sake! His friends tried to rape your sister! Do you even care?

4. Why would she kill herself for a random boy she met only that week?

I must admit that I've occasionally fallen for an inappropriate guy -- but I have my limits!  As you mention below, the basic plot was borrowed from Romeo and Juliet.  It's been a long time since I read / saw that, so I'm not sure if that's where all of those particular points came from.  But if so, then shame on Shakespeare!

5. It is a terrible, cliche Romeo and Juliet rip-off

Shall we call it an hommage?  ;)

6. The first 5 minuites is JUST THE TITLE!!!

Kinda slow getting started, huh?  I'll take your word for it.

P.S.:  I have hidden your original copy of this post on the "what song is stuck in your head" thread, and have moved my reply to this thread.

• Like 1

I love musicals but West Side Story has never been one of my favorites, but it's better than either Camelot or South Pacific which are two of my sister's favorites.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:23 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hey, there are people on here who don't like Sherlock (particularly S3 and S4), for pete's sake!  As long as we're polite, it's all fine.

I feel called out. :P However, I can't stand the allure of ranting about music, because I caught a snippet of Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town the other day, and may Kenny Rogers rest in peace but that song drives me up the [censored] wall. 

So the singer is a paralyzed war veteran and his wife leaves him alone in the evening (regularly, one assumes since he states he's heard the door slam a hundred times before) and, after having gussied up, goes to town (in more than one sense, he implies). He states he'd kill her for that if he could.

Did it ever occur to that curmudgeonly [censored] that she's not living it up but picking up the extra the only way she can, because he's disabled and she has to care for him the rest of the day? Does he think money for food, rent and medical care grows on trees or something? :blowmytop:  What a wonderful way to show her his gratitude for all her hard work in caring for him *and* keeping the household running, by fantasizing about shooting her.

tl;dr: I hate that bloody song.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Caya said:

I caught a snippet of Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town the other day, and may Kenny Rogers rest in peace but that song drives me up the [censored] wall. 

I'm not sure that's quite how I've interpreted the song (haven't heard it lately, and think I have it a bit mixed up with You've Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me, Lucille), but my version was apparently not much more tolerable than yours.   :D  

I must say that there are songs that tick me off even worse, but best not to get started on those!

• Like 2

Ooooooh, now I'm curious. :lol:

Lucille is not that much better, imo, while we're at it. I mean, so the singer meets a woman who's deeply disappointed with her life (she says stuff like she quit living on dreams and she's hungry for laughter), then her husband turns up. So what does he say to her?

a] "I know we've had a rough time lately, darling, but I love you and I'll promise I'll try to be a better husband - won't we give things another try, together?"
b] "Our relationship may be past saving, Lucille, but please, before you leave, think of our children - they need their mother!"
c] "How dare you leave when there's so much work waiting, bitch?"

He of course picks c] and then continues after this promising lead-in with complaining about how much *he* is hurt by all this. I mean, I don't condone leaving four little (one presumes) children, don't get me wrong, but I sure can understand why she felt she needed to run from this gem of a man. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 9:20 PM, SherLOCKED123 said:

I didn't mean this in a rude way, I just don't like it. And I think my points are reasonable.

Don't worry about it, it's opinion, we are free to ramble. God knows I rambled a lot about movies, we have a thread for movie review (I think it's called Recently Watched Movies) but review of course includes rambling too. XD 

I remember I got so annoyed that I came back to ramble even more about the same movie back then, regardless whether I had audience or not, just need to get it out, like a crazy person, like an old man sending the soup back in the deli. It's 47 Meters Down, actually writing the tittle raises my blood pressure a little bit too much, even now :D.

On 6/22/2020 at 5:15 AM, Caya said:

However, I can't stand the allure of ranting about music, because I caught a snippet of Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town the other day, and may Kenny Rogers rest in peace but that song drives me up the [censored] wall. 

So the singer is a paralyzed war veteran and his wife leaves him alone in the evening (regularly, one assumes since he states he's heard the door slam a hundred times before) and, after having gussied up, goes to town (in more than one sense, he implies). He states he'd kill her for that if he could.

Did it ever occur to that curmudgeonly [censored] that she's not living it up but picking up the extra the only way she can, because he's disabled and she has to care for him the rest of the day? Does he think money for food, rent and medical care grows on trees or something? :blowmytop:  What a wonderful way to show her his gratitude for all her hard work in caring for him *and* keeping the household running, by fantasizing about shooting her.

tl;dr: I hate that bloody song.

I have never seen you worked up this way XD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You weren't here yet when S3 first aired. I had some choice things to say about John then. :lol:

In the beginning of S3 I have to say that I couldn't look at John without screaming how the moustache was completely unnecessary and just annoyed me...

Although I  was very easily provoked back then. 

• Haha 1

Actually trying to post on topic for once...

I have just acquired my new school diary and it is a frankly alarming shade of pink.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/8/2020 at 11:59 PM, Caya said:

You weren't here yet when S3 first aired. I had some choice things to say about John then.

You mean about his behavior in Last Vow, when he discovers that his wife's been lying to him about everything, and his best friend knew but didn't bother telling him?  Yeah, shame on him, throwing a tantrum over a little thing like that.  :P

19 hours ago, besleybean said:

I have just acquired my new school diary and it is a frankly alarming shade of pink.

Good grief -- is this something that you're expected to use openly at the school?  And did the men get the same color?

1 minute ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

You mean about his behavior in Last Vow, when he discovers that his wife's been lying to him about everything, and his best friend knew but didn't bother telling him?  Yeah, shame on him, throwing a tantrum over a little thing like that.  :P

Actually, about his decision to forgive his lying wife that little misstep when she killed his best friend - could've happened to anyone, really. :P

Dare I point out that she didn't *quite* kill him?  Though she had warned him quite explicitly that she *would* kill him if he took one more step.  And then the condescending fool said no you won't and took another step.

John wasn't in the room at the time, of course, so I assume his knowledge of the incident came mostly from Sherlock -- who was carefully downplaying the whole thing.  Nonetheless, John didn't speak to Mary for something like six months, by which time she was about to give birth to their child, so his motivations for forgiving her may have included a bit of "for the baby's sake."  People are complicated, what can I say?

So -- @SherLOCKED123 -- you see the sort of thing you missed by not being here back then.  'Twasn't a pretty sight, actually.

20 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

I just realised the fonts on all our signatures changed.....

Near as I recall, mine is still the same.  Had you selected a font, or were you using the default?

23 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

I just realised the fonts on all our signatures changed.....

I noticed that as well, but it depends on which device I'm using.  On my laptop yours and Carols look like Comic Sans, but on mobile they look like some kind of scripty cursive font.

• Confused 1