Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

When it gets swollen, it's more likely you bite the spot again. Does it happen more often?
I've had such a spot I bit regularly - got rid of the problem by letting my dentist grind a corner of a tooth. Needed a second run though, because it was not the tooth I thought was causing the problem. :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2021 at 2:36 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

My rant, I like cakes. I don't have sweet tooth, I don't eat a lot of cakes, but sometimes I crave it.

And it's not easy to find good cakes that is not ridiculously priced around here. So, I decide to make my own lately. Been quite happy with the results, anyway, I always explore baking when I have time to do so, and feedback have always been positive (free will no threat I swear), but it's quite annoying strolling through forever to find the recipe after the author decides to tell you their whole life story before the recipe, or worse, it is hidden after another click/the need to navigate among those.

Anyone feel the same? Do you actually read the blablabla?

I know, I know, appreciate the creator. Nope, I just want my cake.

Nope, don't read a word of it, jump straight to the recipe. 

My brother has started making pies. Apple pies, mostly. I have been the lucky recipient of a few. But then he got hold of some pears, and made a pear pie, which is not something I've ever heard of ... pears just don't seem to have the right texture for pie. OMG, it was the most delicious thing I've ever tasted in my life..... But he hasn't made any more! Wah. Maybe I need to buy him some pears for Christmas.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I'm sick, I asked my doctor to get a leave of absence until tomorrow. She refused and said she would give me a leave of absence until today because I would be "healed" by then. I'm not, so I have to go back tomorrow to get a new leave of absence. Like I know my own body, I know how it takes to heal from a cold. This could all have been prevented if she listened to me, stupid female canine.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I asked my doctor to get a leave of absence until tomorrow. She refused and said she would give me a leave of absence until today because I would be "healed" by then. I'm not, so I have to go back tomorrow to get a new leave of absence. Like I know my own body, I know how it takes to heal from a cold.

I am so glad that none of the places I've worked required a doctor's note for absence.  Of course we're allowed only a certain number of "sick days," and after that we either lose our pay or go on longterm disability.  But in general all we have to do is phone our employer and let them know we're sick.

Also glad that I don't have your doctor.  It takes me a couple of weeks to get over a cold, and if I try to tough it out and keep working (the way some idiots do, thereby spreading their germs), I simply don't get any better until I take time off.

I don't know how it is in Belgium (European social systems tend to be similar though), but here in Austria, the company only has to keep paying you for three days' worth of sick leave and then the health insurance takes over (same wages, just from elsewhere). So if you're sick for more than three days you always need a doctor's note because the insurance requires one. Less than that, it's left to the employer - my current place doesn't ask for one if you're sick for three days max, but I also worked at companies that asked for one when you were missing more than one day, or even for single-day absences. On the plus side, the max length of being sick is a full year (you might get sent to a health resort or similar because of a lengthy sick leave if the insurance thinks it'll help, though - then again, that's covered by said insurance as well).

Also, your doctor is weird. :huh: Pissing off your patients doesn't sound like a winning strategy to me.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Stupid female canine, so my fiancee broke up with me. The reason being not ambitious enough. It's so stupid, I know my job is not something I wanted to do or studied for but it's a job, something that I finally have after years of searching. So forgive me if I'm not looking forward to find something else when I know how frustrating it was to find my job. I still think it's excuse and that the real reason that I'm broke now because of her, she just used me to drain me of my money and broke up with me when my money was gone. I did everything for her, I payed the bills, I did groceries, I cooked and she dumped me! 

• Sad 3

Sorry, Fantasy. It must be awful for you. Wish I could help.

7 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I did everything for her, I payed the bills, I did groceries, I cooked ....

And she had the gall to say that you aren't sufficiently ambitious?

Thank goodness you still have your job!  And once you've recuperated from this experience, you'll be free to accept a true partner. one who willingly shares the load (whether it's by bringing home a paycheck, or by doing the housework, or some of each).  But no rush -- and if my experience is anything to go by, the best partners come along when you're not frantically looking for one, just peacefully living your own life.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 2:51 PM, Arcadia said:

Sorry, Fantasy. It must be awful for you. Wish I could help.

Your support is enough.

On 1/3/2022 at 6:08 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Thank goodness you still have your job!  And once you've recuperated from this experience, you'll be free to accept a true partner. one who willingly shares the load (whether it's by bringing home a paycheck, or by doing the housework, or some of each).  But no rush -- and if my experience is anything to go by, the best partners come along when you're not frantically looking for one, just peacefully living your own life.

I know right?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2021 at 11:53 PM, J.P. said:

When it gets swollen, it's more likely you bite the spot again. Does it happen more often?
I've had such a spot I bit regularly - got rid of the problem by letting my dentist grind a corner of a tooth. Needed a second run though, because it was not the tooth I thought was causing the problem. :-)

It's not too often, definitely not often enough to voluntarily drag my feet to the dentist.  No. NO! (Are you mad? 😁)

On 1/4/2022 at 1:08 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Good advice.

My rant, I'm trying to figure out a way to sneak into my neighbour's house with an air horn at 12 midnight, and blow it in front of a bird's face.

Because it has been a while since they get a rooster that does cookle-doodle-dooooo at 3 am, then 2 am, then 1 am. I am a very light sleeper.

• Tongue 1

10 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

they get a rooster that does cookle-doodle-dooooo at 3 am, then 2 am, then 1 am. I am a very light sleeper.

That's an unusual rooster!  Like most birds, they usually don't start calling till shortly before sunrise.  Does your neighbor's yard have lights that stay on all night?  Or motion-sensor lights?

I can sleep through a distant rooster's call, but right next door -- yikes!

On 2/27/2022 at 1:57 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

That's an unusual rooster!  Like most birds, they usually don't start calling till shortly before sunrise.  Does your neighbor's yard have lights that stay on all night?  Or motion-sensor lights?

I can sleep through a distant rooster's call, but right next door -- yikes!

And please be reminded that unlike yours, my neighbours share walls with me 😁.

I don't think so, but I believe the rooster's mentality has been messed up by urban lifestyle, because he is cockling now, in the middle of the day.

I do adjust biologically, but that dang bird keeps changing its calling time. He must be my Moriarty.

Anyway this neighbour is fond of chickens, when I first moved in, they have dozens of hens that clucked all day long. I don't really mind, and found it hilarious. No more hens since years ago, but once in a while they would get a rooster, and none of them are capable of being a proper rooster. 

8 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

No more hens since years ago, but once in a while they would get a rooster, and none of them are capable of being a proper rooster. 

May heaven defend us from improper roosters!   :D

my neighbours share walls with me

Are you saying that the rooster is *inside* their home?  Or merely that the neighbors are located *very* close to you?

I believe the rooster's mentality has been messed up by urban lifestyle, because he is cockling now, in the middle of the day.

You may well be right about him!  There's a rooster down the road from us that will occasionally crow at random hours, but I don't think he does it very often.  Then again, maybe it's just that he's far enough away that I don't hear him if I'm inside my house, unless the windows are open (which is only in spring and fall).

I'm trying to think what would be my closest equivalent to your experience with the rooster, and all I can come up with is the neighbor (in our former, very small, neighborhood) who would apparently let her toddler play with her car keys -- so every now and then their car would start honk-honk-honking, which drove me nuts.  That didn't happen every day (or night), though!

On 3/1/2022 at 2:05 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Are you saying that the rooster is *inside* their home?  Or merely that the neighbors are located *very* close to you?

Very close, wall against wall, we each have a piece of backyard, so the abominable improper rooster is kept there. And my bedroom is right on top of the yard (I only have 'half' yard).

But I have been sleeping better lately, perhaps I already get used to it, only wake up once or twice. That sneaky rooster randomizes his call, so I can't properly plan my air horn attack. 

On 3/1/2022 at 2:05 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

who would apparently let her toddler play with her car keys -- so every now and then their car would start honk-honk-honking, which drove me nuts.

NOOOOO! This is worse than improper roosters!

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Very close, wall against wall, we each have a piece of backyard, so the abominable improper rooster is kept there.

Sounds like what we call a duplex here.  Thank heaven the neighbors at our old duplex didn't have a rooster!

Of course the people the other side of them did have that toddler with the car keys.  Fortunately she seemed to play with them only in the daytime, and fortunately the button would only make the horn sound eight times.  Unless she pushed it again, of course.

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

But I have been sleeping better lately, perhaps I already get used to it, only wake up once or twice.

Yay!   :applause:

I finally realized last night that the odd little pains I've been having near my waist were due to my underwear being too tight -- due to my waist gaining a couple of inches -- due to recent inactivity -- due to having sprained my ankle last August.  My ankle seems to be (finally!) just about fully healed, but it'll take me a while to ramp back up to my former level of activity, and therefore it'll still be a while before my waist returns to normal.

Which explains why I suddenly decided that I need new (larger!) underwear, and I need it now!  Fortunately the little town nearest us has a couple of stores that carry a lot of undergarments.  Unfortunately neither of them currently carry what I consider to be basic ordinary cotton underpants.  What they do have is what I'd call hip-huggers, plus another style that comes to just below the belly button.  In other words, underpants are migrating southward along with blue jeans.

Fortunately several websites still carry the real thing.  Even the old stand-by sites seem to be having a problem keeping their quality consistent nowadays, but at least they're trying.

On 3/13/2022 at 1:45 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I finally realized last night that the odd little pains I've been having near my waist were due to my underwear being too tight...

Good heavens, Carol.

Comfort over sexy, please. What would Sherlock say?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Comfort over sexy, please. What would Sherlock say?

Does he even own any underpants?   :P   He doesn't wear them with his sheet, at any rate.

• Haha 1

You know when you wander in on a conversation, well, that...

but no pants Sherlock at least makes more sense than that bloody stupid red pants Johnlock thing that used to do the rounds...

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2022 at 12:45 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I suddenly decided that I need new (larger!) underwear, and I need it now!  Fortunately the little town nearest us has a couple of stores that carry a lot of undergarments.  Unfortunately neither of them currently carry what I consider to be basic ordinary cotton underpants. 

I finally drove to a larger town a little further away, where I was able to find more or less what I wanted.  They're very comfortable!

But a) there's no tag, just some information stamped onto the inside-back of the pants, likely to wear off after just a few washings, and b) the care directions are given only in hieroglyphics rather than English.  I had to look up a chart (here) to decipher them.

I think I understand the reasoning behind not giving plain-language directions -- namely, they can sell the product anywhere in the world with exactly the same "label" -- but laundry directions are a heck of a lot more complex than which restroom is which!

If any of the label people happen to read this, please stick with indicating water temperature by a number of dots.  It's not so much that I'm not real familiar with Celsius (after all, I can either apply the conversion formula or else look up the equivalent online), but rather that washing machines of my acquaintance describe the available temperatures only as "cold," "warm," and "hot," with the exact temperatures depending on the water heater's settings and temperament, the time of the year, and how recently someone's taken a shower.  So please keep it very general and I'll do my best, OK?

• Haha 1

I'm with Dilbert there:

1vbjvdl.gif

I have three basic settings I for laundry, shirts/pants/etc., underwear/towels/etc., and kitchen towels/other stuff that needs extra heat (mind you, my washing machine has plenty more, but I generally don't bother). Every item that doesn't survive the category it falls under wasn't meant to be a part of our household anyway. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I do nearly everything with a warm wash and cold rinse on the normal (i.e., neither heavy-duty nor gentle) setting, and dry it on knit / low heat (which is still plenty hot).  About the only thing that protocol won't handle is hard-water stains.  (We have a water softener, but there's only so much it can do.  Therefore our "white" things gradually turn a pale ivory color.  Kind of attractive, actually, if you're unaware that it's basically a rust stain.)

I wash my towels and bedding sheets with my underwear, even though I have to wash my towels and bedding sheets at 60 degrees and my underwear at 30 degrees.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I wash my towels and bedding sheets with my underwear, even though I have to wash my towels and bedding sheets at 60 degrees and my underwear at 30 degrees.

I agree, it's silly to spend the time, effort, and water to wash each item in the optimal way.  By and large, though, I think the temperatures they give are maximum temps, so if you wash everything at the coolest temp on your laundry list, you should do fine.

(I assume you mean 30C -- since 30F would be ice!   :D  )

My latest(in a long line of laundry diasters)...

washed my 60th birthday dress yesterday and I think the lace maye have shrunk!

• Sad 1