Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

The skip ad seems not present in Europe :(. And think that parents not being strict is because they are afraid of the child having a meltdown in public.

Anyway, on to my rant. In 22 days I'll be 29, and so far I have found 3 grey hairs in my hair in a year. WHY do I already have grey hair?! I thought that was supposed to happen in your late 30's early 40's.

3 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

The skip ad seems not present in Europe

What's the URL of your YouTube?  Ours is youtube.com -- does yours have a different ending?

And think that parents not being strict is because they are afraid of the child having a meltdown in public.

That may well avoid the first meltdown.  But then what?  If the kid is always allowed to do whatever s/he wants in public, it's bound to escalate.  I fear those parents are creating a monster.

In 22 days I'll be 29, and so far I have found 3 grey hairs in my hair in a year. WHY do I already have grey hair?! I thought that was supposed to happen in your late 30's early 40's.

There aren't really any rules, just averages.  But are those actually three different hairs, or did you pull out each one -- in which case is it possibly the same hair regrowing, or are they on different parts of your head?  For years I had one white hair about an inch above the center of my forehead, whereas when my hair actually started to turn white it began by my ears -- so I assume the lone hair was just a fluke.

I found my first grays when I was 21.  I was surprised too but it happens!

On 12/29/2022 at 1:40 PM, Fantasy Lover said:

If my grandparents ever pass away, I want to play this song on their funeral.

I heard this song at the funeral I worked tonight.

On 4/18/2023 at 6:13 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

What's the URL of your YouTube?  Ours is youtube.com -- does yours have a different ending?

That may well avoid the first meltdown.  But then what?  If the kid is always allowed to do whatever s/he wants in public, it's bound to escalate.  I fear those parents are creating a monster.

There aren't really any rules, just averages.  But are those actually three different hairs, or did you pull out each one -- in which case is it possibly the same hair regrowing, or are they on different parts of your head?  For years I had one white hair about an inch above the center of my forehead, whereas when my hair actually started to turn white it began by my ears -- so I assume the lone hair was just a fluke.

1. Idk, I use the app, not the website.

2. Yeah, Imagine this kid has a sleepover and the parents of her friend say no. Ooooh boy. Or when that kid is old enough to go to school.

3. They were three different hairs.

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2023 at 12:00 AM, Artemis said:

I heard this song at the funeral I worked tonight.

Did someone ever play this?

5 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

1. Idk, I use the app, not the website.

That may be why you don't get the option to skip the rest of an ad.  I don't use many apps, I just go online on my phone, but it's my impression that apps tend to make themselves suitable for phone use by omitting some of their features -- you might try using the website and see what you think of it.

5 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

3. They were three different hairs.

Still, that's only three hairs.  Some people do go gray earlier than others, though.  It's presumably genetic in many cases, but a deficiency in certain nutrients can cause premature graying in other people.  You could look for information online and see if you might benefit from changing the way you eat and/or taking supplements.

19 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

That may be why you don't get the option to skip the rest of an ad.  I don't use many apps, I just go online on my phone, but it's my impression that apps tend to make themselves suitable for phone use by omitting some of their features -- you might try using the website and see what you think of it.

Still, that's only three hairs.  Some people do go gray earlier than others, though.  It's presumably genetic in many cases, but a deficiency in certain nutrients can cause premature graying in other people.  You could look for information online and see if you might benefit from changing the way you eat and/or taking supplements.

Thanks for the tips Carol! I will certainly try them out.

I have yet another rant, I'm on fire these past days. I hate my job, not because of colleagues or the work I need to do but because I had furlough for almost 3 months now. So I get half of my paycheck.

There's also some financial support from the government, but I lost a paper. So I didn't get anything since January. The good news is that I’ve asked a copy of the paper I lost and I can get it next week, hopefully I can get all the money I lost since January and fast.

• 1 month later...

I know it's not a law in Belgium, but it should be. Playing music out loud in public service should be illegal, use headphones for crying out loud!

I've had enough of people thinking they own the bus and make everyone's experience miserable by playing music out loud, stop it!

What bothers me most is that people don't ask to lower the volume anymore, because the chances are they get hit or they turn the volume higher or they insult you by calling you racist.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I've had enough of people thinking they own the bus and make everyone's experience miserable by playing music out loud, stop it!

You might try the technique used in the 4th Star Trek movie, when they're in 20th century San Francisco.

19 hours ago, besleybean said:

I don't object if it's good music, but all too often it is crap!

Why, Bev, you're starting to sound like an old fogey!  (Welcome to the club!)

On 6/12/2023 at 11:05 PM, besleybean said:

I famously love a variety of music.

But not just noise!

Ditto. Although we may vary on the definition of "noise"..... 😄

I think it's interesting ... I've noticed the vast majority of my friends will only listen to the music they learned to love as teenagers/20-somethings. They won't even try to listen to something new. Me, I love every decade ... but not every style of music. Have never learned to appreciate either country or hip hop, for example. But at least I give new music a listen, and sometimes I hear a gem. Just discovered Avi Kaplan for example; beautiful deep voice.

Still nobody better than U2, though. 😋

• Like 1

Not even Queen? Them's fightin' words. :P

I wasn't even going to engage...so many good bands.

Hard to choose one.

I like both Queen and U2, but neither of them would be my fave.

16 hours ago, Arcadia said:

... the vast majority of my friends will only listen to the music they learned to love as teenagers/20-somethings.

They probably favor clothing styles from that era as well.  Unfortunately, younger generations don't seem to understand that their elders are "staying cool"!

As for what kind of music I prefer, it's whatever music happens  to strike my fancy at the time.  I very rarely turn on the radio or play a CD, but I do enjoy encountering a nice piece of music.

• 1 month later...

*goes to NYC*

*has mostly sun there*

*goes back home*

*rain for a whole week*

My SAD "Surprise, I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me"

Me "hello darkness my old friend"

Hi, FL -- sorry to hear it's been gloomy in Ghent lately.  The forum has been pretty quiet recently, so I didn't notice your absence specifically, but I'm glad to see you back!

It's been cloudy here in Indiana the past couple of days, and our weather tends to hit NYC in a day or two, if that makes you feel any better.   ;)

Well, it's Sunday and I have nothing to do. So I figured I'd pop in and start posting again because I have some movies to review. I noticed it's been pretty quiet on the forum, it saddens me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hate the fact that my mother likes taking pictures, it really annoys me. The fact that she also likes to take pictures and selfies of others and herself bothers me as well, like I'm some monkey in a zoo. The majority of my Facebook consists of her pictures where she tags me, finally I had enough and disabled the function that allowed her to tag me.

I hate the fact that my mother likes taking pictures ... like I'm some monkey in a zoo.

I had a boyfriend like that, so you have my full sympathy!  (But thank goodness that was before they invented the internet.)