Banshee

Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:00 PM, T.o.b.y said:

Actually, a surprising number of people. 

I remember an elderly (but not senile) relative telling 15-year-old me that what really mattered was attracting a rich man and I would have to do a lot of work on my appearance for that. Weight loss was explicitly mentioned as well. 

I was f....ing 15. Not even seriously thinking about romantic relationships yet. 

The same lovely lady kept trying to get me to "admit" I thought this or that slimy male celebrity was cute. It really weirded me out. 

I dimly remember stuff like that too. I know that's one reason I was so convinced I was a fat teenager … everyone kept telling me I needed to lose weight. Yet I recently looked at some old pictures of myself … I was fine! It makes me angry, frankly. I spent an entire childhood with a poor self-image that still has its ramifications today. *sigh* Society...…….

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

It's no better being a skinny kid!  I was constantly being told (mostly by my father) that I needed to gain weight, but since (as a typical kid) I was already eating just about all the time, I didn't see what I could do about it.  Then when I was in my twenties, my husband and (of all people) my boss chimed in.  So I finally did my damnedest to put on weight, stuffing myself at every meal -- which eventually gave me stomach cramps, so that I couldn't eat at all for a couple of weeks, and ended up losing ten pounds.

After that, I simply stopped worrying about my weight.  So there.  :P

• Like 1

I had a boss who constantly critiqued my hair style. I honestly couldn't see what business it was of hers, but I finally got a perm just to shut her up. Gradually let it grow back out and she never even seemed to notice. People are weird. :smile: 

• Like 1