Banshee

Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Oy, internships... Is it paid, at least?

I had some unpaid 6-month internships during and after college.  The last place was put on a hiring freeze while I was there, but swore up and down that when it was lifted, they would hire me.  When the internship ended, I stayed on as a volunteer.  I waited year after year, and when the hiring freeze was finally lifted, I was encouraged to apply for one of the open positions, and did.  They hired four new people, and none of them were me.  They didn't even offer me an interview.  There were no other positions opening up for the foreseeable future.  I quit the next month.

Moral of the story: Know when to quit.  I have a hard time with this.  I always stay too long, whether it's bad jobs or bad relationships, and end up wasting a lot of time and energy that could have been better spent.  Don't quit too early before you've given it a real effort, but don't let your labor or kindness be exploited either.  Your time has value; invest it wisely.  Don't hinge everything on a promise, especially from a place of work, because in my experience they are rarely honored.

(P.S.  I don't intend to be discouraging, I just want to warn against making the mistakes I made.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Speaking of internships, I thought this was interesting.  Especially the rate of employment with internship experience vs. without.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:47 AM, Artemis said:

Moral of the story: Know when to quit.  I have a hard time with this.  I always stay too long, whether it's bad jobs or bad relationships, and end up wasting a lot of time and energy that could have been better spent.  Don't quit too early before you've given it a real effort, but don't let your labor or kindness be exploited either.  Your time has value; invest it wisely.  Don't hinge everything on a promise, especially from a place of work, because in my experience they are rarely honored.

Amen and amen. That was a hard lesson for me to learn, too. 

• Like 2

I'm opposite, I always leave too soon, as soon as I'm able too, which I have never regret, actually.

And I always try to be the one who leave before being left, even for family reunion, I fly out first, I am coward like that. I thought it's less sad, but it's not true.

What sort of work are you learning?  And what comes next, after you complete your internship?

I'm learning what kind of work you do at a factory. As for your second question, I go back to work and then I wait for my job coach to call me to discuss my further options.

Oy, internships... Is it paid, at least? I had some unpaid 6-month internships during and after college.  The last place was put on a hiring freeze while I was there, but swore up and down that when it was lifted, they would hire me.  When the internship ended, I stayed on as a volunteer.  I waited year after year, and when the hiring freeze was finally lifted, I was encouraged to apply for one of the open positions, and did.  They hired four new people, and none of them were me.  They didn't even offer me an interview.  There were no other positions opening up for the foreseeable future.  I quit the next month. Moral of the story: Know when to quit. I have a hard time with this.  I always stay too long, whether it's bad jobs or bad relationships, and end up wasting a lot of time and energy that could have been better spent.  Don't quit too early before you've given it a real effort, but don't let your labor or kindness be exploited either. Your time has value; invest it wisely.  Don't hinge everything on a promise, especially from a place of work, because in my experience they are rarely honored (P.S.  I don't intend to be discouraging, I just want to warn against making the mistakes I made.)
they told me it going to be paid, turns out it wasn't. You can imagine my disappointment and anger when I found out, tomorrow I'm going to complain to my boss and job coach. I'm not going to let this pass, it was three weeks! Three weeks I worked for free at a place I didn't like and where my work was boring!!! You know what they say: hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 4:04 PM, Fantasy Lover said:

they told me it going to be paid, turns out it wasn't. You can imagine my disappointment and anger when I found out, tomorrow I'm going to complain to my boss and job coach.

How did that go?

While browsing the website of a company where I used to work, I found a term that's even worse than "human resources" -- namely "human capital."   :blink:

I mean, "resources" merely implies sources one can count on for assistance, whereas "capital" implies actual ownership!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

They changed from "Staff Department" into "Human Ressources" at my workplace. The changes didn't stop at the name.

No wonder people look at me funny when I say I used to work in "Personnel." :unsure: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

No wonder people look at me funny when I say I used to work in "Personnel." :unsure: 

"Personnel" was the last reasonable name for that department -- and that was, umm, a few decades ago.  Everything since then has been looking at employees as corporate assets.  Bleh!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

How did that go?
Good, I contacted my job coach and she said that she just needed the documents that confirmed that I actually went to that internship. So hopefully I get the money next week, meanwhile I'm working temporarily at a different department, and the new department SUCKS!!!

No wonder people look at me funny when I say I used to work in "Personnel." unsure.png 
when I still went to school people mocked me and my peers because we would just be ordinary receptionists and we had no idea how to manual labour, some people I swear.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I contacted my job coach and she said that she just needed the documents that confirmed that I actually went to that internship. So hopefully I get the money next week....

I'm glad to hear that!

5 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

the new department SUCKS!!!

An awful lot of jobs do -- which is why they have to pay you.

• Like 1