Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I am still always questioning why some event in our life affect us more than the other, or some event remain in our memory much stronger than the other. Yes, it's probably true that they made strong impression, but I believe I had equally as strong impressive events that are not imprinted in my head.

Yeah, me too.  Like one memory from when I was a little kid -- I was out riding my tricycle and so were a couple of the other kids, and the three of us came together with our front wheels in sort of a three-pointed star.  It's just a snapshot in my head, so I have no idea why we did that, or even whether it was on purpose or just sorta happened, or what happened next.  I'm sure there were far more interesting or exciting events in my early life, because I also remember some of those.  So why that particular moment?

Also there are some memories I'd just as rather forget, but they seem to be sticking as well.  (But come to think of it, if I've forgotten some of them, I wouldn't know that, would I?)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I am still always questioning why some event in our life affect us more than the other, or some event remain in our memory much stronger than the other. Yes, it's probably true that they made strong impression, but I believe I had equally as strong impressive events that are not imprinted in my head. I am blabbering about specific things we remember more, do you guys have that? Somehow there are things that I'm more hurt about, there are details I remember more vividly, there are embarrassing moments that I still cringe on eventhough years have passed while I have already collected more other hurtful, traumatic and other more embarrassing moments. WHY? There are not first event as well. You get what I mean right? Or I'm talking gilberrish?

4 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yeah, me too.  Like one memory from when I was a little kid -- I was out riding my tricycle and so were a couple of the other kids, and the three of us came together with our front wheels in sort of a three-pointed star.  It's just a snapshot in my head, so I have no idea why we did that, or even whether it was on purpose or just sorta happened, or what happened next.  I'm sure there were far more interesting or exciting events in my early life, because I also remember some of those.  So why that particular moment?

Also there are some memories I'd just as rather forget, but they seem to be sticking as well.  (But come to think of it, if I've forgotten some of them, I wouldn't know that, would I?)

Yeah, me too. I've often wondered the same thing … why THAT memory? (And why are more important ones so fuzzy, ak!) But I think most of mine are associated with some strong emotion, so maybe that's a factor?

The one that mystifies me the most is … I was about 3, 4, and my sister was babysitting me. We were playing cards in the back room, and there comes a ring on the doorbell. My sis gets up to answer the door. End of memory. WTF??? :D 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

What if you avoid 2 on 2 (or 1 on 1??) interactions with that particular person and just maintain group outing?

That's actually very good advice! (I'm shocked. :P ) And in some ways I think that's sort of what I've done. Hmmmm. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I was about 3, 4, and my sister was babysitting me. We were playing cards in the back room, and there comes a ring on the doorbell. My sis gets up to answer the door. End of memory. WTF???

That's about the same age as my tricycle memory. Maybe we hadn't yet developed a sense of resolution?  Or maybe the resolution was less interesting than the open question?  Or maybe to you the whole point was that your sister had deserted you.  Hmm, I think I'd go with that last one -- unless of course somebody can come up with a better one.

This really doesn't matter...in the grand scale of things.

But a story from my Google alerts is irking me.

Oh and (SPOILER ALERT for Dracula, if you haven't yet seen it but are going to.)

I was thrilled by Dracula's line: "I have a detective friend in London."...knowing it was Mark/Steven's little nod to Sherlock.

But now it's being claimed that yes it is Sherlock Holmes...but not Benedict.

Well why not, The Abominal Bride is the right period.

20 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

That's about the same age as my tricycle memory. Maybe we hadn't yet developed a sense of resolution?  Or maybe the resolution was less interesting than the open question?  Or maybe to you the whole point was that your sister had deserted you.  Hmm, I think I'd go with that last one -- unless of course somebody can come up with a better one.

I'm sure that's not the only time I was deserted! Why that one very specific moment? I think it's weird.

I have 2-3 other vague impressions from that age. Running out to get a popsicle from the ice cream truck. Looking through my brother's copy of an anatomy book and being fascinated by the drawings. The day the dog shredded my favorite blanket. 😞 Those seem a lot more significant to me, but the memories aren't as clear as that one of my sister. Brains are odd.

20 hours ago, besleybean said:

This really doesn't matter...in the grand scale of things.

But a story from my Google alerts is irking me.

Oh and (SPOILER ALERT for Dracula, if you haven't yet seen it but are going to.)

I was thrilled by Dracula's line: "I have a detective friend in London."...knowing it was Mark/Steven's little nod to Sherlock.

But now it's being claimed that yes it is Sherlock Holmes...but not Benedict.

Well why not, The Abominal Bride is the right period.

I thought that was nice as well. And because Dolly Wells was in it I was hoping for a reference to The IT Crowd. 🤷‍♂️

On 1/12/2020 at 11:26 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yeah, me too.  Like one memory from when I was a little kid -- I was out riding my tricycle and so were a couple of the other kids, and the three of us came together with our front wheels in sort of a three-pointed star. 

On 1/13/2020 at 4:03 AM, Arcadia said:

The one that mystifies me the most is … I was about 3, 4, and my sister was babysitting me. We were playing cards in the back room, and there comes a ring on the doorbell. My sis gets up to answer the door. End of memory. WTF???

That's what I'm talking about. Many of those 'imprinted' memories seems trivial, although I do have some bad ones that probably traumatic to me as a child. Or a piece or two advices from my grandma, followed by vivid scenario of when she said it. 

On 1/13/2020 at 4:14 AM, Arcadia said:

That's actually very good advice! (I'm shocked. :P )

Hey, I know someone who has been following my advices 100% for as long as I.. she lives, and she turns out alright, according to the testimony of m... her..!

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Hey, I know someone who has been following my advices 100% for as long as I.. she lives, and she turns out alright, according to the testimony of m... her..!

Something tells me that is debatable ….. :P 

Oooooohhh, I'm scared. :tongue:

Actually, I'd be a bit scared if it were a thumb war, I have short thumbs.....

(AARGH!) Can't even sign into the university web site, to get my course reading list and assignments etc...

Allegedly somebodyis looking into it for me!

Just one module, so I'm not really going for the course credits or anything.

It's called Technology and The Human.

Good tutor, lovely classmates and an interesting topic.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Is that supposed to be "Art"?

... and if so, then how the heck tall is the rest of Art?!

Arrrrrghhhhh! Kill me now.....

• Tongue 1

I finally had the last conversation with the temporarily replacement of my social assistant, I am SO glad my usual social assistant is coming back from her maternity leave next month. The temporarily replacement was lousy, stupid and incompetent, there were multiple times I wondered how she ended up with a psychologist degree. She constantly criticised how I run my household, she pulled the family card, she said I just needed to take more initiative to talk to my colleagues on my internship when it's a two way street and she was convinced I could ask on a job interview to change a full time job to a part time job, which is something you can't do, bye Felicia.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fantasy Lover said:

she was convinced I could ask on a job interview to change a full time job to a part time job, which is something you can't do

Might work occasionally, but yeah, sounds pretty naive.  I once lost a job that I had all sewed up, apparently because I wanted part-time (the boss was fine with it, but right before I was due to start, they brought in an efficiency expert).

Yeah that’s definitely a no-no.  Years ago in one of my first job interviews I asked about telecommuting (not because I wanted to know, but because my dad told me to), and I could tell by the way their expressions changed that that’s exactly when I failed the interview.

On a related note, I’m having a hard time even finding full-time jobs to apply to right now.  Everything is part-time or contract.

54 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I’m having a hard time even finding full-time jobs to apply to right now.  Everything is part-time or contract.

Yeah, an awful lot of jobs are being done by contractors these days. At a company where Alex used to work, if business was slow they'd lay off a bunch of people, then bring some of them back as contractors -- same person, same desk, same work.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yeah, an awful lot of jobs are being done by contractors these days. At a company where Alex used to work, if business was slow they'd lay off a bunch of people, then bring some of them back as contractors -- same person, same desk, same work.

But … let me guess … no benefits.