Banshee

Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

We girls had to wear skirts or dresses to school, and that was a public school -- but longer ago than your school days, I assume.  The only exception (did I mention this before?) was that in winter we could wear snow pants or leggings (which were made of heavy wool fabric) on our way to school, but once we got there, we had to remove them.  (We generally wore them under our skirt, so it was easy enough to take them off, even with boys around.)

Oh, and one other exception -- we were required to wear hideous one-piece gym suits with bloomers for legs.  Bloomers!!!  Here's an article (with picture) about those gym suits (which I'm sure I linked to once before).

But in general, we were required to wear skirts at school.  And they had to cover our knees.

Most of us wore jeans or shorts after school, but I had a friend whose parents wouldn't let her (due to their religion).  She told me that when her family went swimming (in a creek, I believe, not a public pool), she and her sisters would wear old dresses.  But I think most fundamentalist denominations nowadays allow women to wear trousers -- though they might not allow it in church or school.

You'd think the toothbrush people would realize that even some girls prefer blue, or green, or yellow -- wouldn't you?

All the blue and green toothbrushes had monsters on them. I am sure some kinds like monsters but I would have been terrified of them when I was little and blue was already my favorite color back then so I would have been unhappy with the selection as well.

Has that been resolved yet?

I agree with your later post, you really need to let her know -- as gently and as vaguely as possible -- that it really isn't your sort of thing.  If you're lucky, she bought it because she likes it -- would it fit her?  If so, you could follow up the "not my sort of thing" line by suggesting that she keep it and enjoy it.

On the other hand, she may think that you have the flair to wear something daring like that, whereas she'd feel silly in it.  I once bought a piece of jewelry for a friend, thinking although it was very beautiful it was too dainty for me to carry off -- but just right for her.  Some years later, she pulled out the same pin and asked if I'd like to have it -- someone had given it to her, she said, but even though it was very pretty, she really couldn't wear that sort of thing.  (I have absolutely no idea whether she realized I was the one who had given it to her.)  It's difficult to know what a person's self-image is -- or what they think your style is.

My husband suggested I "at least" try it on and fortunately, it didn't fit. So I told her that it wasn't my size despite what the label says and she agreed to take it back. I don't know what she plans on doing with it but tbh, I don't care either as long as I am rid of it.

Also "gendered" colors are a dumb concept and we should stop doing it.  Just let everyone enjoy all the colors we have to enjoy without shame.

:applause:Exactly! It's dumb and as you pointed out, totally arbitrary anyway if you look at how it changes over time.

I think it's such a difficult, fine line to walk between encouraging a child to be themselves and protecting them from perhaps avoidable harassment. On the one hand, I think lots of social norms are stupid and it shouldn't be his job to prevent bullying because it's the bullies who are doing something wrong here and not himself. On the other hand, I have to acknowledge that the world works in a certain way, like it or not, and I don't want to be the clueless mom whose kid never has a chance to fit in.

The way we resolved this particular problem btw was by me finding one single yellow toothbrush with the desired character on it eventually, with only a little bit of pink around the edges. The first day he went to daycare with it, he had second thoughts when I dropped him off and clung to my legs and cried but apparently, nobody said anything because today the world was fine and I am sure the toothbrush will be so covered in toothpaste soon that nobody can tell what the original colors were anyway...

(The new forum software doesn't seem to have a multiquote option, right?)

24 minutes ago, T.o.b.y said:

(The new forum software doesn't seem to have a multiquote option, right?)

It does!  The plus sign next to "Quote" at the bottom of a post is the multiquote function.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Artemis said:

The plus sign next to "Quote" at the bottom of a post is the multiquote function.

Ya gotta admit, it's a clever code    :P   Took me a while to puzzle it out, as I recall -- or maybe someone had to tell me.

15 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

My husband suggested I "at least" try it on and fortunately, it didn't fit. So I told her that it wasn't my size despite what the label says and she agreed to take it back. I don't know what she plans on doing with it but tbh, I don't care either as long as I am rid of it.

Hopefully she won't be able to exchange it for your size!

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2020 at 3:07 AM, Fantasy Lover said:

But what annoyed me the most is this: I declined the offer to work there and my mom, my grandfather and my boss were all like "I needed to get up early and take to train as well, you just need to get used to it." My grandfather even gave me the "when I was your age." treatment. It really pissed me off, I am NOT you! Maybe I could have gotten used to getting up at 6 am, but during my entire internship my gut kept me awake by screaming at me that it was a bad idea and I barely slept because of it! I was a VERY cranky at the end of my internship, thankfully it didn't last long.

Warning ; There is no moral of the story in my reply.

I worked in office and corporate jobs for about eighteen years, and my reality was, I couldn't afford to stay near work, I had to stay at outskirt and far far away therefore long commute was inevitable. The time I had wasted to wait and ride on buses and train was couple of hours a day, and most were not comfortable rides, being squeezed, standing long hours, and in dangerous situation as it was likely to be unsafe for my demographic at that time at that place. After years and years and yearsss I managed to save up and buy a motorcycle, it cut out quite significant amount of commuting but then I changed work and country and I was in that cycle again.

However, from those long years of working, waking up before 6 was one of the better things I had to get used to, because working generally sucks, and I actually liked my job. Let me rephrase, I actually loved my job, but can't stand the people. At the very least I made the commuting hours as precious 'me' time, because in my case, it was inevitable. But sleeping 5-6 hours is enough for me, so maybe I do enjoy waking up early even when I don't really have to, like doing personal activities.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 3:13 PM, T.o.b.y said:

I saw his little hand reach out, retreat, reach out, retreat, the little brain obviously going "I want this but it will get me teased, what do I do?" and I felt so frustrated. 

He's three. Three! He shouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing at all!

Yes agree. I actually saw adult facing the same dilemma, we shouldn't have so much nitty gritty things to worry about.

First, let's kill gender reveal party XD

I have two stupid rants today. This is the first

20201012-145341.jpg

20201012-145403.jpg

Banana doesn't need something to wrap them like this, if they fall off, they fall off. And shut up, two outer layers are obviously have some plastics in them, as it's not easily tear-able and waterproof. I didn't notice when I bought them, as they used to have none of this thing.

This is similar with National Geographic magazine who talks a lot of those environment stuff but continues to send me forms and forms and paper etc for me to re-subscribe ten year after I ended my subscription. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I know we have enough problem in 2020 <_< but here comes my second rant.

I know the content is free, and people are being nice enough to upload 'teaching' video on YouTube. But arggghhhh, I have browsed many videos to learn about stuffs, like cooking for example, and many many of them talk in veryyyyy slow motion (I used 2x speed and still get very impatient and it's just my normal speaking speed even AT 2XXXX), they talk and talk and talk while their hands are idle instead of showing something useful, and.. at the end, they didn't even show the result. I mean!! Some actually record the whole preparation process, whole!! like repetitive slicing tons of fruits. Gah!

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

But sleeping 5-6 hours is enough for me,

Oh man, I wish that were me.

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

Oh mec, j'aimerais que ce soit moi.

😱 Me too !! Only 5 hours???  !! I need to sleep 8 hours, unfortunately I sleep very very little. It's very tiring...

I need more like nine hours, though I don't always get it.  When I had to leave for work at 5:30 am, I made an attempt (rarely successful) to get to bed earlier.

I need 9-10.  It also doesn’t matter if I get all the sleep I need and have a set schedule; I will always be a zombie in the morning.  The whole morning, lol.  And then I will be completely wiped by early/mid afternoon, ‘cause it required so much energy to be awake in the morning, lol.  My body just doesn’t like it.

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

I will always be a zombie in the morning.  The whole morning, lol.  And then I will be completely wiped by early/mid afternoon, ‘cause it required so much energy to be awake in the morning,

I know what you mean.  Sometimes I do better, sometimes not.  I never know what to expect.

• Like 1

I started to read all of the rants I've missed while I've been gone, but they got me depressed so I quit. :P 

I know that this may get me permanently expelled from the forum, but I'm living with a friend who has two dogs (AND two cats) and I have discovered I really do not like dogs. All they do all day long is steal food or anything that remotely smells/looks/tastes like food, like napkins, plastic bags, your lap where you spilled the tomato sauce ..... And if they're not stealing it, they're begging for it ....  aaagggghhhhh!!!!!!!!

I take it you've never lived with a dog before?

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

All they do all day long is steal food or anything that remotely smells/looks/tastes like food, like napkins, plastic bags, your lap where you spilled the tomato sauce

... or those tasty nuggets in the kitty's litter box.   :D

36 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I know that this may get me permanently expelled from the forum, but I'm living with a friend who has two dogs (AND two cats) and I have discovered I really do not like dogs. All they do all day long is steal food or anything that remotely smells/looks/tastes like food, like napkins, plastic bags, your lap where you spilled the tomato sauce ..... And if they're not stealing it, they're begging for it ....  aaagggghhhhh!!!!!!!!

What you don't like, then, are badly trained dogs. Even Lilly learned not to steal after a couple weeks with us, and she's a former street dog so for her, it used to be her means of survival. But your friend's doggos are not the ones I'd dislike in such a scenario.

We had a dog when I was about 7-8, but it lived mostly outside (where it belonged, imo :P ). So, no, I haven't really lived with dogs before. And never want to again, after this. There's other behaviors they have that drive me crazy, but the food obsession is the worst. Can't even turn my back on my bowl of cereal long enough to get the milk out of the fridge. 

Is it normal to keep dogs inside ALL THE TIME? Seems like my other friends who have dogs, at least they go in and out. 

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Is it normal to keep dogs inside ALL THE TIME? Seems like my other friends who have dogs, at least they go in and out.

My dogs are mostly indoor dogs.  They only go outside to potty, or when I take them for a walk.  I've tried to get them to play fetch outside, but they have no interest, lol.  They are small dogs though.  I think big dogs need more space and outside time.

Also my dogs do not steal food.  They do beg, but they know better than to steal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Can't even turn my back on my bowl of cereal long enough to get the milk out of the fridge. 

With my cats (especially Dora), I wouldn't dare turn my back on a bowl of milk long enough to get the box of cereal off the shelf.  That's why one of my non-negotiable requirements for this house was a door on the kitchen -- which is closed virtually all the time.

I think I already mentioned the time Alex was sitting on the couch eating when suddenly a cat appeared in the middle of his pizza.

• Haha 1

How much time dogs spend inside/outside depends on a lot of stuff, like breed, temperament and/or the place they live (whether there's a garden or just a backyard, and such). For starters, dogs sleep like twice as much as humans, which most dogs very much prefer to do inside, in my experience.

auX17PB.jpg

Fwiw, Lilly's enthusiasm for the outside depends mostly on the weather. If it's nice, she loves being out in front and keeping watch over what she considers her territory (and the various cats of the neighborhood have a different idea about). If it's hot or very cold, she only does brief checks. If it's wet, you have to leash her and take her on a walk to get her outside at all, and contrary to her usual behaviour she wants to return home as soon as possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I think I already mentioned the time Alex was sitting on the couch eating when suddenly a cat appeared in the middle of his pizza.

I've actually met more cats that are food thieves than dogs, lol.  Personally I don't really mind either way, it's just one of the quirks of owning an animal sometimes.

39 minutes ago, Caya said:

How much time dogs spend inside/outside depends on a lot of stuff, like breed, temperament and/or the place they live (whether there's a garden or just a backyard, and such). For starters, dogs sleep like twice as much as humans, which most dogs very much prefer to do inside, in my experience.

Yeah, I think that's true.

Interesting, I've never had a cat that steals food. No, wait, Jamal stole butter. He was nutz about butter. Would risk anything to get at it. Although he didn't actually steal it, he sat on the table/counter/wherever it was and licked it, until we learned to put it away in the fridge immediately after use. (Who says cats can't teach us things? :smile: )

I suppose I'll get used to the dogs eventually. Sigh.

On 11/9/2020 at 5:07 AM, Arcadia said:

I started to read all of the rants I've missed while I've been gone, but they got me depressed so I quit. :P 

chicken!

I know that this may get me permanently expelled from the forum, but I'm living with a friend who has two dogs (AND two cats) and I have discovered I really do not like dogs.

images-7.jpg

All they do all day long is steal food or anything that remotely smells/looks/tastes like food, like napkins, plastic bags, your lap where you spilled the tomato sauce ..... And if they're not stealing it, they're begging for it ....  aaagggghhhhh!!!!!!!!

I have to say that your friend probably,... most likely,... very high probability,... this is as certain as sun rises somewhere,... obviously!! doesn't know to teach dog!

Even my strays sit orderly while waiting for food distribution. Yes, they beg, but it's their survival and they actually sit outside restaurant, waving their tail slowly while trying to catch patron's eyes. I saw that, those I know well never snatch food, but the newcomers sometimes do, because they were not taught yet. And it's not the dog's fault. The irony is, they are probably abandoned because the idiotic owners think they have behaviour problem.

And yes, actually, cats are more of culprit of snatching something in my experience 😁

But I do know dogs like the one you mentioned, and there is one right now that I'm trying to teach (it's not mine, so my discipline limited to when the parents don't see. But I have right to the place, so I'm not wrong trying to educate, I think). So this dog would go straight to the bin, any food, steals, begs, snatches, and she is well fed. Now she is showing a lot of improvement, and in my presence, she is almost a darling (although she still tries on others). She accompanies me to kitchen everytime, and waits properly at the door, unlike bolting to the trash back then. I would give her little rewards and praise for that. Still trying to teach her to want me not only for my treat, and it seems to be working well, unless she fakes it. 😆

• Like 1

We discuss girls and boys back then, I have no regret being a female, but there are many times that I wish I were a guy, like last night, for wrong reason.

I watched a show, and this guy punched another for insulting his loved one. I want to be careless and go into a bar fight without much thinking too, sometimes.

And want to be a burly guy when I go for jogging or walking or strange or different places.

And although it's a cliche', I hate it when I have to prove myself twice as hard for physical activities eventhough I could do better than most of my male coworkers, or I have to 'prove' that I could do it because words are not enough. Example, climbing something, crazy wall, high construction space, a cliff for 'boys' (yes, they have it back then), riding a big manual bike, lifting something heavy. The more annoying thing is, they question no physical abilities too. When I attended a class, and some part of the technical training requires math and logic skill, the instructor said, oww, normally girls are weak/not interested/don't understand this part when I knew the answers first before male classmates. I believe he meant it as compliment, but it kinds of sour it.

To cut the story short, I want to punch obnoxious people in the face without much thinking, when they deserve it. Not a subtext.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

cats are more of culprit of snatching something in my experience

I think that's because dogs are naturally pack animals, so they are used to obeying authority figures (such as the alpha male in their pack,, or a human that befriends them), whereas cats are more loners by nature.  So if a cat observes that you don't approve of its behavior, it may avoid doing it while you're watching, but it is not likely to respect your authority, any more than you would respect its authority.  A cat knows that it's just as important as you are.

And that's why I love cats!   :D

• Like 2