Banshee

Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

6 hours ago, Artemis said:

It was about a woman, a fugitive from the law herself (though falsely accused, “Richard Brooks” style; she had her own kind of Moriarty).  Sherlock Holmes kept turning down cases that he considered boring or beneath his abilities, and she would anonymously solve them for people.  Gradually he started reading in the paper about cases being solved before he even heard about them, cases he actually did want to work on.

It actually sounds very interesting.

6 hours ago, Artemis said:

For the first time he found himself in the position of having to vie for business, which required being polite (i.e. not a smart-ass) in the face of idiocy and other nasty peopley things that made him uncomfortable, lol.

But then again you are destroying my fantasy. I have been looking to work like that forever.

If even Sherly himself has to be like that, you, mam, is ruining the purpose of my life. Tsk.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

But then again you are destroying my fantasy. I have been looking to work like that forever.

If even Sherly himself has to be like that, you, mam, is ruining the purpose of my life. Tsk.

Don't worry, he doesn't have to do it for very long, lol.  That's just a short bit in the first part of the story.  But it could be a lesson for him.  :P

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2021 at 1:33 PM, Artemis said:

But it could be a lesson for him.  :P

Or... this woman's Richard Brook could be real!

She did it so brilliantly, it needs a Sherlock to solve a Sherlock competitor that is actually not a Sherlock's competitor at all, but a sophisticated con artist in order to ruin Sherl's life for a bit and get his attention. 

She is a fake after all, a very good fake, and the Sherl could experience humiliation and humbling experience, learns his lesson, only for him to become an even bigger detective with massive intellect at the end, not needing to spend another day needing to be polite *when it's not necessary  and restore my 'I want to be like him when I grow up' faith again, ignoring the fact that I am way further that a grown up because that grow-up thing is supposed to be optional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Or... this woman's Richard Brook could be real!

She did it so brilliantly, it needs a Sherlock to solve a Sherlock competitor that is actually not a Sherlock's competitor at all, but a sophisticated con artist in order to ruin Sherl's life for a bit and get his attention. 

She is a fake after all, a very good fake, and the Sherl could experience humiliation and humbling experience, learns his lesson, only for him to become an even bigger detective with massive intellect at the end,

Ah, a fanfic based on my fanfic.  The highest form of flattery for a fanfic author, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I see 'Sherl' one more time...

I swear I will not be held responsible for my actions!

• Haha 1
  • Tongue 1

5 minutes ago, besleybean said:

If I see 'Sherl' one more time...

I swear I will not be held responsible for my actions!

You know, that's how I felt back then. Then I start to use it as mockery, eventually I find it endearing and actually using it 😋. So beware it could happen to you too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never!

Incidentally, I think I can beat the fanfiction thing...

On another forum, we used to have a thread where we shared our dreams about Sherlock(maybe we do on here!).

I once saw one of my dreams in someone's fan fiction...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, besleybean said:

I once saw one of my dreams in someone's fan fiction...

That is pretty cool, lol.  Although, I'm not sure how I would feel about it personally.  I'd be flattered but also a little embarrassed, I think.  Depending on the dream, I guess.  Some are more personal/emotional than others.

39 minutes ago, besleybean said:

On another forum, we used to have a thread where we shared our dreams about Sherlock(maybe we do on here!).

We have a general "Dreams" thread, if you'd ever like to share your dreams!  I've shared a couple of my "Sherlock" dreams here, but that was before I created the "Dreams" thread, so they're buried in other random threads.  I haven't had one in quite awhile now.

Me neither, I guess it's cos we are not seeing it on our screens so much...

On 1/30/2021 at 3:25 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I find Amazon-customer reviews very helpful, and have also appreciated a number of the comments left on those reviews by other customers.  But a few days ago, I noticed that not only are there no longer any comments to be seen, there's no button to click for posting a comment

Today I was shopping on Amazon for organic vanilla extract, and some of the reviews appear to have been written by people who would rather complain than think or investigate.  There was one, for example, which complained about receiving a product that was 35% alcohol, whereas the one she'd been using was 100% pure vanilla extract -- not realizing that by legal definition, vanilla extract must contain alcohol, so one product had simply listed its ingredients in more detail than the other.  Another was irate that an ingredient was derived from rapeseed (canola seed), and therefore must be genetically modified -- not realizing that even though most rapeseed is indeed genetically modified, some is not, and this product's ingredient was listed as organic, and therefore could not legally be from a GMO.

I'm not concerned so much about those two individuals, more so about all the people who have been influenced by the misinformation in their reviews.  And about the vendors who may be losing sales for that reason.  If I could have left comments, I would have done so.

This reminds me of the fake Sherlock reviews...

Did anybody here read any or in fact contribute to them?

2 hours ago, besleybean said:

I don't think I ever heard about that.

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Today I was shopping on Amazon for organic vanilla extract,

I was skimming this rather than actually reading, and what I thought I saw was "shopping for organ villain extra"...... 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, besleybean said:

Oh, goodness, those were hilarious!  Artemis, what Bev's talking about is that Amazon put up a page allowing people to pre-order the DVD for an upcoming series.  Nobody had actually seen the episodes of course, but that didn't stop some people from reviewing them.  Dunno whether they're still there or not -- considering that there are thousands of subsequent actual reviews, I can't think of any reasonable way to get at them.  But in answer to you, Bev, I didn't write any of those.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I was skimming this rather than actually reading, and what I thought I saw was "shopping for organ villain extra"...... 

Don't need to shop for those, already got more than enough!

• Haha 1

My memory is so bad, I can't exactly remember any of the 'fake reviews'.

I am not a Johnlocker and although I think most of them were in that vein...they were actually quite clever and genuinely hilarious.

Oh I think they were taken down...I will ask in the other place!

• Thanks 1

God dang it!!

Why people have to pretend they are so edgy all the time???

Inside the frigging box! You had already won twice!! D*mn my foot!

6013b24b59274-tyavjro7baw01-700.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Tongue 1