Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

I think Shadow Dweller could be on to something, as I certainly know that sensation from when I had my anxiety attacks. If that's what it is, you should know that it's just brain chemistry; you're not going insane! :D Or it could be something like Carol is talking about. I would strongly encourage you to tell your folks, and if it continues, see a doctor. Camper's right, sometimes it helps to just find out for sure what's going on. Then at least you know whether you're being normal or not. (Normal for you, don't worry about what's normal for others!)

• Like 1

Update: I have a damn problem.

I keep feeling like things are unreal, or at least surreal. And for some reason the smallest things can make everything slip away. Like looking at myself too long in the mirror, or hearing my ears ringing. Sometimes I feel like the world is an illusion; other times I feel like I'm the one who doesn't exist. I feel like I'm swimming in deep water, but instead of being cold I just feel nothing. Absolutely nothing. Everything feels muted. Like it's coming through a wall and I'm listening by putting my ear to a cup and the cup to the wall. I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm too scared to ask.

Of course it's impossible to say from a distance, but what you describe sounds like a form of dissociation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociation_%28psychology%29

I can't tell you why it is happening. I don't even know if it's really that, but it sounds like it. I can well imagine the experience being scary.

You should really talk to someone near you. Really, seriously. Why exactly are you afraid to do that?

Symptoms of natural reaction when dealing with severe anxiety? You are under stress right now from the preparation of exhibition, isn't it?

No, not really that. The only stressful part of the whole thing with my art was finding a frame that I could fit my work into.

Of course it's impossible to say from a distance, but what you describe sounds like a form of dissociation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociation_%28psychology%29

I can't tell you why it is happening. I don't even know if it's really that, but it sounds like it. I can well imagine the experience being scary.

You should really talk to someone near you. Really, seriously. Why exactly are you afraid to do that?

I think you may be right, that I am dissociating, but I'm still not sure. It just sort of happens on its own, no particular reason or anything to it.

And honestly I don't like opening up much, because a few years ago, close friend of mine practically abandoned me when I told them about some problems of mine.

• Like 1

I know it's a hard step to take, Bendy, but if possible at all you should really consider seeking professional help.

Either what is happening to you is simply part of the (sometimes horrible) stress of being a teenager, in which case a friendly outsider's ear to vent to can only do you good. Or there's a genuine organic problem in your brain chemistry (and these do exist, and telling a clinically depressed person to "just pull yourself together" is about as sensible as telling a paraplegic to "just get up") that might need some temporary medication so that it can balance itself again. Either way, a friendly, calm professional (and do shop around until you find one you feel comfortable with and can trust!) should be helpful.

• Like 3

Dear Caya is right! Please seek professional help, talk to parents and closest relatives, dissociation is fine, but it may be something much more problematic. I don't like your description of what is going on with your self-perception, and will definitely withhold my views on it, simply talk to a psychologist and then seek a second opinion, PLEASE!

• Like 2

Don't wait too long and don't be afraid of taking professional help. I am saying this as someone who has a long years experience with depression and anxiety. I hope you are in a situation of being able to get help quickly.

• Like 1

And honestly I don't like opening up much, because a few years ago, close friend of mine practically abandoned me when I told them about some problems of mine.

I am sorry to hear that and I bet it hurt. I am even more sorry to point out that in that case, I think the word "friend" might not be quite accurate.

I don't like opening up, either. Very few of us introverts do. ;) But sometimes it is necessary, and you should find a person who can handle the information you have to share. Ideally, a doctor, psychologist or counselor. They sure won't abandon you for describing symptoms and they have to maintain confidentiality. If you are afraid that someone will try to medicate you against your will, remember that you are always free not to follow their advice.

What about your parents, by the way? Have you talked to them about all this?

I understand the instinct to keep silent and pretend all is fine. But obviously all is not fine, or else you wouldn't be telling us about it. I doubt telling a professional would be much different... they have to be neutral, like us and they aren't involved in your personal life - like us. If you can tell us, then you can tell a doc, methinks.

Whatever happens, my best wishes to you. Be brave, as Sherlock Holmes said.

• Like 3

I don't like opening up, either. Very few of us introverts do. ;) But sometimes it is necessary, and you should find a person who can handle the information you have to share. Ideally, a doctor, psychologist or counselor. They sure won't abandon you for describing symptoms and they have to maintain confidentiality. If you are afraid that someone will try to medicate you against your will, remember that you are always free not to follow their advice.

Bendy, when I needed someone to talk to, I went to a social worker at the city / county counseling service, because social workers cannot prescribe drugs.  I asked her whether she could force me into other treatment, and she said no, though she could refer me if I wanted it.  So I felt safe talking with her, and I think a psychologist would be about the same.  (A psychiatrist, on the other hand, is an MD, and therefore can prescribe drugs -- and some psychiatrists and other MDs are very drug-oriented.)  Of course, the rules change from time to time and from state to state, so it pays to check, if you're concerned about such things.

Regarding confidentiality, since you are a minor, any professional you see may be required to disclose certain things to your parents.  Again, those rules will vary, depending on the type of professional, what state they're in, etc., so it pays to ask if you're concerned about that.  But it's a good idea to let your parents know how you're feeling, even though you may choose to share certain specific details only with a professional.

• Like 2

I am barely functional today, guys.  I had gymnastics last night and I am so sore, and I got home so late that by the time I was tired enough to go to sleep it was soooo late.  

:coffee:

This is pointless.  I just wanted to whine b/c I'm a Whiny McWhinerson today. 

• Like 1

Whine away, that's what this thread is here for!

I had to give up doing exercise classes at night, they left me too wound up to get to sleep at a decent hour. (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :smile: )

• Like 2

I only do this b/c it's the only way for me to still do gymnastics.  If it wasn't for my love of gymnastics, my happy ass would have been home on the couch.  lol

• Like 1

Yeah, I know. The sacrifices we make for the things we love....

When you expect to be in a downpour by the time you have to go inside to get your son from kungfu in 10 minutes. Had thunder about 5 minutes ago and the rain just started as I was finding this thread and picking up as I type :(

• 2 weeks later...

I am so stupid sometimes...

Came home from work with minimal residual energy left and thought "hey, I'll do something sensible tonight". Got all my t-shirts, tops and turtlenecks out of the wardrobe and decided to sort them. Shortly afterwards got hungry. Spent three hours on the sofa, then decided to go to bed early for once. Wandered back to the bedroom ready to plunk down and doze off to find the entire bed covered in t-shirts, tops and turtlenecks! I had completely forgotten about them!

So of course I picked up the lot into a most disorderly pile and stuffed it all back in the wardrobe as one big ball. The effort even that took woke me up again and the clothes are more untidy than ever. What an achievement... :angry:

• Like 7

Sounds like something I would do, Toby.  :)    I am great at starting projects that I have neither the time or energy for, and often I'm no  better off than when i started.

• Like 1

I thought I had already posted this joke somewhere, but a forum search turns up nothing, so apparently not.  It seems somewhat appropriate to the above discussion.

An engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician checked into separate rooms in the same hotel, and each went straight to bed.  In the middle of the night, a fire broke out simultaneously in each of their waste baskets.

The engineer smelled the fire and woke up, opened his door and saw a fire hose in an emergency case.  He broke the glass, grabbed the hose, and sprayed the hell out of the fire.  Ignoring the soppy mess, he want back to bed.

The physicist was also awakened by the fire and saw the fire hose in the hall.  He carefully measured the size of the blaze, calculated the quantity of water necessary to douse it, got precisely that amount from the fire hose, put out the fire, and went back to bed.

The mathematician was likewise awakened by the fire.  He saw the fire hose, said, "Ah, a solution exists!" and went back to bed.

Have I ever mentioned that my background is in math?  :D

• Like 4

I'm afraid all I know is a statistician joke:

Three statisticians go out hunting together. After a while they spot a solitary rabbit. The first statistician takes aim and overshoots. The second aims and undershoots. The third shouts out "We got him!"

:p

• Like 6

Three statisticians go out hunting together. After a while they spot a solitary rabbit. The first statistician takes aim and overshoots. The second aims and undershoots. The third shouts out "We got him!"

:p

This one fly right over my head. Explanation please :D

As you may already know, statisticians are people who work with statistics.

So one statistician aims too far away and misses the rabbit.  The next one aims too close and also misses the rabbit.  But the statistical average of those two shots would aim right at the rabbit -- so the third statistician declares that they had successfully hit it.

Any help?

• Like 2

Oh I see, it is like split the difference in price negotation :D

• Like 2

Right.

But of course that joke has nothing to do with our discussion topic of good intentions that go nowhere (as my joke did, whether anyone noticed that or not! :P ).

:rofl: