Series 3 Filming News

From Sherlockology:

Happy Monday everyone! Today marks the official start of pre-production on Sherlock S3, with filming due to start next month!

Posted Image

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hot off the Sherlockology website:

Sherlock Series 3 begins filming March 18 2013

Posted Image

Following weeks (or is it months?) of speculation, Sherlockology can reveal that filming on the eagerly anticipated third series of Sherlock will commence on Monday March 18 2013.

Martin Freeman and other sources have been counting down to the beginning of production over the past weeks in various interviews and events, and so we approached Hartswood Films producer Sue Vertue with a likely date for the start of filming, which she confirmed for us.

Sue also kindly confirmed a second piece of information relating to filming on the new series. Long planned scheduling around the availability of both Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman means that principal photography on Sherlock Series Three will be done in two sections, with two episodes being filmed from March 18. A break will occur in the early summer, and then the third and final episode will be shot a few weeks later.

Sue commented: "We could never have fitted all three films into one long go because of everyone's availability. It's being flexible like this which allows us to keep making them."

So, the wait for information on the start of filming is over, and as production shifts into top gear we'll be bringing you all the news - spoiler free! - on Sherlock Series Three as it develops.

• Like 1

I'm not certain what's included in the "filming" that doesn't start till the 18th -- but surely we are free to imagine that the actors will be in this coming week, having costumes fitted, doing read-throughs, helping the writers tweak the scripts -- all of which might even have started this past week.

And I'm glad to know that they aren't actually planning to cram three or four months of filming into two or three months! That's been bugging me. They'll be taking the time to do their usual terrific job, just not all at once.

From Sherlockology:

Paul McGuigan isn't directing on Sherlock Series 3

Posted Image

Paul McGuigan has confirmed that he is not working on any episodes of Sherlock Series Three.

The director called the shots on four episodes of Sherlock across both the previous series - S1E1: A Study in Pink; S1E3: The Great Game; S2E1: A Scandal in Belgravia; and S2E2: The Hounds of Baskerville - each noted for their visually inventive and daring style, as well as his control in interpreting the script and handling the performances of the cast.

Paul posted a pair of Tweets on his account in the early hours of Saturday March 9:

"Toronto to New York...scouting for locations. I guess by now you've worked out that sadly I won't be directing the next season of #Sherlock."

"#sherlock has been one of the most fulfilling experiences of my working life as a director but now I have a movie to make...so stay tuned x"

The news is not unexpected. Paul is attached to a pair of feature film projects - a new version of Frankenstein for 20th Century Fox; and The Man Who, a biographical drama of Beatles manager Brian Epstein, with Benedict Cumberbatch set to star. While exact start dates for either project are unknown, Frankenstein is due to begin production in late summer 2013.

We wish Paul hearty good luck with both films, which will receive plenty of coverage from Sherlockology as they enter production.

Sherlock Series Three currently has a pair of new directors set to step behind the camera. Colm McCarthy confirmed his involvement on Twitter earlier in the week, while Jeremy Lovering was attached to direct as of January 2013, with both responsible for a single episode according to their agency credits. News on a possible third director has yet to be announced.

By the way, last I heard, McGuigan's Frankenstein movie was expected to star Harry Potter's Daniel Radcliffe as -- Igor?!

• Like 1

Welcome back, itslikelectiveamnesia! Glad you're posting again.

Yeah, knowing what they're up to makes the waiting easier. Well, a little easier, anyhow!

Posted Image

It appears that Sally Donovan may be leaving Scotland Yard. (Which I personally think would be a shame!) According to this article, Vinette Robinson has been cast in an American sitcom pilot.

Sherlock‘s Vinette Robinson has been cast in an ... NBC pilot, single-camera comedy Assistance ... [which] centers on Nora ([Krysten] Ritter), an idealistic “working girl” assistant who is pulled between her colleague Seth (Zach Cregger) and her real-life fiance (Peter Cambor) while trying to manage a demanding boss. ... Robinson ... will play Jenny, a British beauty with a head for numbers who is a threat to Nora and Seth.

I did like Donovan way better then Anderson but she was instrumental in putting the wind up at Scotland Yard to get Sherlock arrested and charged with kidnapping.....so I can see there being a lot of fall out for Donovan over that when he comes back and is cleared of all charges.

I don't see how "they" could really blame Donovan. After all, Moriarty had set things up very convincingly. She'll probably have to take a lot of unofficial flak, but (assuming she's still there) she seems like the type who could stand up and take it like a woman.

As for Anderson, I can just imagine him trying to shift all the blame onto Donovan, the weasel!

Anderson....yeah....a "giant rat".

Aha! That answers two questions at once, doesn't it?

1. What did Moftiss mean by "rat"?

2. Who/what is the Giant Rat of Sumatra?

Today we've goit TWO juicy little tidbits from Sherlockology. First this:

Posted Image

With just a week to go before filming commences on March 18 2013, this morning the cast and crew of Sherlock met in London to perform the traditional read-through of the script of the first episode of Series Three to be shot.

Production Designer Arwel Wyn Jones was the first to reveal what was about to occur via his Twitter, with a bit of a tease:

‘This morning I have the great honour of attending the first read through of this series! Anyone fancy tagging along?’

This news was swiftly followed by confirmation of attendance by other sources connected to the project, including staff from BBC Drama, with Mark Gatiss stepping into the breach at 11:20GMT:

‘#Sherlock read-through. It begins!’

After a couple of hours, reaction began to emerge from the read-through, with BBC One’s Twitter account being the first to break with the above picture of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

‘#Sherlock read-through over, plenty of surprises in store for series three!’

But what actually happens at a read-through?

The read-through of a script is the first major step in production of a project for the cast. It’s attended by all those who have speaking roles, as well as the producers, writers, the director and others such as financiers and backers for the project. For the actors, it’s the first time they sit together and play through the words on the page, allowing them to begin to gauge reactions, interactions, and start to take their first steps in defining their performances. As such, there’s no rehearsal beforehand. Another member of the crew, usually the writer or director, narrates the stage direction in the script so the attendees are able to follow the plot as it unfolds.

For Sherlock, the read-throughs always take place the week before filming begins, with the other days set aside for the cast to prepare and rehearse more fully ahead of the start of filming. As each episode of the series is produced separately from the others - effectively treated like a film in its production methodology - there is a read-through for each the week before that episode begins filming.

• Like 1

And then this bonus:

Posted Image

The information that emerged around today’s events also quietly yielded news of the first new member of the cast for Sherlock Series Three to become publicly known, with the honour falling to Tomi May.

Tomi May is a British actor of Serbian descent, and has had several supporting roles in British TV and Film since 2009, including a role across four episodes of the hard hitting BBC One drama serial Line of Duty. Thanks to a post on his Twitter account (since removed), we know Tomi attended the read-through today, but at present the size and nature of the role he plays within the episode itself is unknown.

• Like 1

From Sherlockology:

Following yesterday’s news piece by Deadline, we’ve independently verified with Sherlock producer Sue Vertue that Jeremy Lovering is attached to the third series, and will be behind the camera when the first episode begins filming on Monday March 18 2013. Jeremy and Colm McCarthy are at present the only confirmed directors on Sherlock Series three. The third has yet to be announced.

Read on below the break for profiles of both new members of the Sherlock production team.

Posted Image

Jeremy Lovering

Jeremy Lovering has nearly twenty years of experience in television directing and writing across documentary, comedy and drama genres. Beginning with a 1995 instalment of the ‘Our Man in…’ series, which saw presenter Clive Anderson journey to Beirut, Jeremy rose to greater prominence in 2001 when he directed three episodes of the first series of the much loved Channel 4 drama ‘Teachers.’

In 2003 he wrote and directed the BBC drama documentary ‘Killing Hitler’, a ninety minute film which recounted the British attempts to kill the dictator during Operation Foxley in 1944. The documentary was nominated for a Royal Television Society Award. Other notable credits include ‘Sex & Lies’ in 2004, two episodes of ‘Spooks’ fourth series in 2005, and the drama ‘Miss Austen Regrets’ in 2007, starring Olivia Williams as the beloved author in the last years of her life. In 2010 Jeremy directed an acclaimed and challenging two part adaptation of Martin Amis’ novel ‘Money’, starring Nick Frost.

In film, Jeremy worked as the second unit director on the 2007 action-comedy feature ‘Hot Fuzz’, directed by Edgar Wright and starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. He has made his feature film debut in 2013 with the horror ‘In Fear’, which caused a huge stir at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival and saw him listed in many places as a breakout talent to watch. Jeremy wrote an extensive blog on the experience of taking the film to Sundance for Film4’s website.

Posted Image

Colm McCarthy

Colm McCarthy comes to the series with an excellent background in British Television Drama, having previously directed episodes of Hustle, Murphy’s Law, The Tudors, and Spooks, as well as the two hour television film Endeavour - the prequel to Inspector Morse. That piece of work proved such a success for producers Mammoth Screen that a series of four further films were greenlit to production, with Colm helming an additional episode.

Colm has already had his work on television screens in 2013 with the broadcast of two episodes of the popular BBC drama Ripper Street, and has directed the Steven Moffat scripted opening episode of the second section of Doctor Who series seven - The Bells of St John - due to broadcast on March 30 2013 in the UK and USA.

Has anyone heard if Rupert will be in this series at all? There is nothing on his website and nobody seems to have said anything. I can see a lot of disappointed fans if he doesn't make an appearance (yes, including me!).

I can see a lot of disappointed fans if he doesn't make an appearance

Understatement of the year!!!

So Far.

Disappointed wouldn't be the word for it in my case.