Series 3 Filming News

Oh, the Nerdfighter photo? That's a funny one :), though I wonder what that was about (probably just messing with our heads again). Martin Freeman's West Staines Massif sign, well, he was in that film after all, but Benedict Cumberbatch, a Nerdfighter? Weird, though there's no doubt he is awesome, so who knows :lol:.

Why, yes, the Vulcan salute is what the Nerdfighter sign is based upon. Done with both hands, however, and arms crossed in that particular fashion, it's usually the Nerdfighter sign, see tumblr for some examples. He sure knows the Vulcan salute, but doing it with arms crossed like that is unlikely to be chance.

I hate to be argumentative, but I've yet to see Mr. Cumberbatch do the Vulcan salute correctly.  He seems quite confused about where the thumb goes.  Wait.....  I might have seen him get it right once.  Probably by accident.

Nerdfighter?   :huh:

I am ignorant.  However, if it's basically a double Vulcan salute with the forearms crossed, then Mr. Cumberbatch has a good start.  Mr. Freeman seems to be aiming at something else entirely.

Well then ... :offtopic::hijacked:

Both signs shown by Mr. Freeman and Mr. Cumberbatch, respectively, are fictional gang signs, of sorts.

Martin Freeman showcases the hand sign of Da West Staines Massif, (fictional) Ali G's (fictional) gang, as seen here in Ali G's twitter pic (Ali G being one of the personae of comedian Sasha Baron Cohen). Since Mr. Freeman

in Ali G Indahouse, it's clear how he knows it.

Benedict Cumberbatch's sign, on the other hand, either by happenstance or purpose is the crossed-arms-double-Vulcan-salute (with thumbs held close, though) sign of the Nerdfighters, a (not so much fictional as mostly existing on the internet) group of nerds proud to be such started by brothers Hank and John Green, who also invented the sign, as seen here. Now while it's of course possible that Mr. Cumberbatch is a fan of their vlog, he doesn't seem the type. The Nerdfighters' motto is DFTBA, or Don't Forget To Be Awesome, hence my quip about him being awesome in the post above.

Sorry for bringing confusion to this thread, I hope I've cleared it up now (and yes, I realise that I've just outed myself as a massive nerd, but well, I am ;)).

• Like 1

Here's a link to

, via YouTube.  I am having absolutely no luck posting videos today, but that link does work.  Not really a spoiler, but the video does show a snippet of actual filming for Episode 2.

From Sherlockology -- Episode 2 ("The Sign of Three") filming has wrapped:

tumblr_inline_mn9lyqhffW1qz4rgp.jpg

Filming has completed today on the second block of Sherlock filming - largely comprising Sherlock S3E2: The Sign of Three - after four weeks of work which began on Monday April 22 2013. The second episode of the third series is written by Stephen Thompson and directed by Colm McCarthy.

Filming of The Sign of Three has taken place in cities in England and Wales familiar to the Sherlock production team, including an extensive period of work in Bristol at the beginning of the schedule. London also once again paid host to the series towards the end of the shoot, while filming itself wrapped on stage in Cardiff just before 20:00BST this evening.

Additional material for S3E1: The Empty Hearse was also shot during the latter stages of this second block of filming, under the direction of Jeremy Lovering.

Production on Sherlock Series Three will now take a scheduled break, to allow cast and crew to fulfil other long planned obligations.

Cast and crew are due to fully reconvene in late July 2013 for filming on the third episode of the series, written by Steven Moffat.

Just wondering -- is that Sherlock in the photo above, or a wax dummy?   ;)

• Like 2

Well then ... :offtopic::hijacked:

Both signs shown by Mr. Freeman and Mr. Cumberbatch, respectively, are fictional gang signs, of sorts.

Martin Freeman showcases the hand sign of Da West Staines Massif, (fictional) Ali G's (fictional) gang, as seen here in Ali G's twitter pic (Ali G being one of the personae of comedian Sasha Baron Cohen). Since Mr. Freeman

in Ali G Indahouse, it's clear how he knows it.

Benedict Cumberbatch's sign, on the other hand, either by happenstance or purpose is the crossed-arms-double-Vulcan-salute (with thumbs held close, though) sign of the Nerdfighters, a (not so much fictional as mostly existing on the internet) group of nerds proud to be such started by brothers Hank and John Green, who also invented the sign, as seen here. Now while it's of course possible that Mr. Cumberbatch is a fan of their vlog, he doesn't seem the type. The Nerdfighters' motto is DFTBA, or Don't Forget To Be Awesome, hence my quip about him being awesome in the post above.

Sorry for bringing confusion to this thread, I hope I've cleared it up now (and yes, I realise that I've just outed myself as a massive nerd, but well, I am ;)).

Wow, Caya!  At the link they DO do their salute with the thumbs close to the hand, instead of the classic Vulcan salute with thumbs open.  It's hard to believe dear Mr. Cumberbatch is as nerdy as he is dorky, but I may have to concede the point!

IN THAT PIC:

Pretty sure those giant feet belong to our star. 

• Like 1

True, and look at the fingers of his left hand - that's him alright.

It's him in the picture- looks like he's wearing a dressing gown. It's incredibly difficult to make anything artificial that looks that organic - and expensive. So why bother when you have the real thing? And that wouldn't be sun in the window, it would be stage lights :)

• Like 1

Looks like a tribute to the dressing gown in the original illustrations, with the flat lapels.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Sherlock_Holmes_-_The_Man_with_the_Twisted_Lip.jpg

Which I believe they did also with Brett's Holmes.

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/27800000/Sherlock-Holmes-jeremy-brett-27868143-720-540.png

Although the lighting makes it hard to see, there's enough visible to make an educated guess.

Sunlight, stage light, they are still hot and would melt wax after awhile. But I agree, I do think that is "Sherlock" in the flesh.

Oh, I meant that the stage light would probably be hotter (depending on where it is) than sunlight, so it would probably melt the wax sooner ^_^

Oh, I meant that the stage light would probably be hotter (depending on where it is) than sunlight, so it would probably melt the wax sooner.

Ah. Understood. No problem.

Nice! At least he can't be accused of being one of those "mean" actors who's every whim has to be satisfied and makes a fuss if they are asked for an autograph or photo with some adoring fans.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As expected today, from Sherlockology:

Filming begins on Sherlock S3E3: His Last Vow

tumblr_inline_mqowct5zl51qz4rgp.jpg

As we revealed on July 20, filming has resumed today in Cardiff on Sherlock Series Three, with the third block of production comprised of S3E3: His Last Vow. As with the production of all previous episodes of Sherlock, principal photography is expected to last for around a month.

The episode is written by Steven Moffat and directed by Nick Hurran.

As before, we are not able to publicise any location filming that we may become aware of ahead of time due to issues of confidentiality, and the possibility of impacting the work of the cast and crew. Large numbers of people standing in a crowd have the potential to affect the filming, and we will be trying our best to ensure the crew has a minimum of disruption.

There remains no scheduled airdate for Sherlock’s UK premiere, despite a number of dates floating around on the internet for the past few weeks suggesting a late October airing for the first episode of the new series - these are mere speculation. While the rough area that Sherlock may be broadcast in will become clearer in the months ahead, the actual definite date cannot be set until the completed episodes have been delivered to the BBC by Hartswood Films.

• Like 1