Jump to content

mangopony

Detectives
  • Posts

    102
  • Joined

Everything posted by mangopony

  1. I totally agree. When I read that DM article I worried at the idea that Moffat and Gatiss were "under pressure". I'd rather wait longer for something of the expected high standard than have it back on telly quicker at a poorer level. As for them cancelling it - I think that's incredibly unlikely. To paraphrase Sherlock speaking of Mrs Hudson in ASiB - "Cancel Sherlock? England would fall!"
  2. Frankenstein is one of my favourite novels ever and I love both BC and JLM but somehow this went completely under my radar (wish I'd joined this forum earlier ) I didn't know about it until after they'd screened it twice so I emailed NTLive about their plans for DVD release. They said "I very much appreciate your desire to see Frankenstein released on DVD. Unfortunately there are no immediate plans to release DVDs due to our rights agreements our artists and our current focus on building the live, communal experience in cinemas. We have however received great interest in DVD versions of many of our National Theatre Live productions and will continue to evaluate these opportunities in the future." So, not a definite "no" ..... Really hope they decide to do it. If for no other reason, they'd make a ton of money. I'm a teacher of English too so the opportunity for teaching would be immense! I also asked about whether they had any plans to screen it again to which they said they had no "immediate plans" to do so but recommended I subscribed to the website to stay up to date (which I have) so fingers crossed....
  3. AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got an email from Amazon telling me that by Series 3 Blu-Rays of Sherlock have been dispatched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. I like the UAP too but I think it was really a "first draft" and I'm glad they remade it. Sherlock is too normal in UAP for me. I completely agree with those who have said they prefer his aloofness in ASiP more. And, while he is cute in the UAP, he's much more sexy in the aired episodes (especially in the purple shirt - more of this please Mofftiss!!)
  5. I've not been on the forum to post for a few days (feels like a lifetime!!!) but I've been keeping up to date on this topic through email. My my, aren't we a passionate bunch! I think it's wonderful that a show can still inspire such controversy and debate - far better than listening to people talk about Big Brother or X-Factor!! Having rewatched the episode I love it even more now and it's put to rest a few issues/concerns I had with SoT. First of all - Sherlock flirting with Janine didn't sit right with me at the wedding so I was glad to see it was all a ruse (even if it was a bit cruel - although she got her own back and didn't seem to gutted so it's all good!). I saw on here a discussion about whether they'd slept together or not (the thought of which again didn't sit right - Sherlock: a sexual character??) but during their discussion she says "Just once would have been nice" to which he replies "I was waiting until we were married" so again, my anxieties were appeased. Secondly, I was worried after SoT that having openly declared their feelings to each other that John and Sherlock's relationship might have lost something (I loved the unspoken subtlety of it in earlier episodes) but having Sherlock "disappear" for a month worked well. He looked so lonely and dejected as he left the wedding (still breaks my heart to think about it ) so it makes sense that he would have left the happy couple to it afterwards. He seemed to realise when he told Mary she was pregnant that they wouldn't "need" him anymore so off he went. That naturally peeved John and they were back to the prickly bickering which they do so well! Feels like it's all back to normal. Finally, Moriarty's return. I understand some people's trepidation with this but I'm mega excited to see how they explain it. And as for the references to the show possibly "jumping the shark" - I don't think it will. Everything in the past has been so meticulously considered that I don't think they can ruin it. Mofftiss is, first and foremost, a Sherlock fan and they won't want to ruin it for themselves so I don't think they'll ever discredit it by using desperate storylines. The last thing I want to say is that I read a review on the Metro website (can't upload the link for some reason) and it summed up the series in a way that made total sense to me and also I think explains why some people perhaps feel uneasy with it. It says: "John has moved on with his life, and to a degree Sherlock is thus on the back-foot for the entirety of the third series, embracing the addition of Mary into the social circle without hesitation, but as a result having to constantly adapt to a shifting set of circumstances. It could even be interpreted that in this series the orbit has subtly shifted from John orbiting Sherlock, to Sherlock orbiting John." Makes a lot of sense to me.
  6. Actually, no, this will be my last one. Does anyone else notice that Sherlock wore an awful lot more white shirts this season? I like the coloured ones better (especially the purple - he looked freaking hot in the purple!!) ....right bed!!!
  7. I'm off to bed after this post, but I have to say I never thought an episode of a TV programme would make so many people want to see a pregnant woman and her baby dead!!! It's funny the surreal nature the world takes on! (By the way that is in no way a criticism to people who have said it. Merely an observation at the irony of it. In any other situation none of us would feel these things. However, I know Mary dies, and I know that turning Baker St into a crèche is ludicrous and I do feel sad seeing John's chair empty so I kind of want it to happen too....)
  8. You've just encapsulated everything I felt about this episode here. Most importantly for me though is that you mention that John doesn't read the files on Mary. Neither do we. I am still prepared to believe that her "killing spree" was motivated by something greater than just a desire to kill. And, I think she was genuinely upset when she shot Sherlock. Her apology to me seemed sincere. She just seemed backed into a situation she saw no way out of and acted out of desperation. And besides, I don't trust Magnussen's "reading aloud" of her "file" in his mind palace. I think he was deliberately being manipulative to get at John. He licked a woman's face and pissed in the fireplace for goodness sake! Hardly an honourable man!!!
  9. I missed this! Going to have to watch the end credits again (you know....once I've watched the whole episode again.......) I really hope Moriarty is back. LOVED Scott's portrayal of him. The moment in ASiB when they're at the pool and his phone goes off - brilliant! It was like a twisted pantomime!!
  10. I agree Karie, feel like I'm reading the same things over and over. It's amazing the passion behind these opinions!! Must be awesome telly!! I've never been in a "hiatus" of Sherlock before. I saw the repeat of series 1 on Alibi and then got the dvds for my birthday in June. When I saw series 3 was coming back I rewatched series 1, blitzed through 2 (which is when it took over my very life!) and then watched 3. Tell me, how does one cope?? What if it's 2 years before it's back??? I'm already having withdrawals.................
  11. I wholeheartedly agree!!!
  12. This is interesting.... Everyone said to Sherlock in SOT that "marriage changes people" and maybe this is the proof. John stood beside his wife rather than his best friend. Sherlock's loneliness at the end of the wedding was the first sign and here we have it in action. Oh no! Now I'm starting to wish Mary wasn't in the picture any more...
  13. Oh crikey! Is that the time!!??? Wish I didn't have to work tomorrow. I agree with whoever said Sherlock should be on on a Friday night. Let's get on at the BBC for next series! Night night everyone.
  14. Really? That's an interesting take. For me, she was the least victimized of any of the people Magnussen targeted. Every ordinary person is a sinner. He went after people who were in positions to do something for him, and he used their weaknesses to do it. Mycroft's love for his brother, Sherlock's love for John, Lady Smallwood's (?) husband's indescretions before they ever met (and her love for him causing her to not want his name to be ruined even after his death --he was dead right? I got that impression.) Mary, however... Mary was the one with something really appalling to hide. She was a murderer who stole a dead woman's name and made a new life for herself, and she just happened to cross paths with a man who would be a danger of blowing her cover. I see her as no more a victim than I would see Moriarty if he had killed Molly if she had been a witness to his crimes and had been in the position to turn him in. Hmmmm.... We don't really find out much about her background though. Sherlock says she has an English accent now but that it isn't her own (did I read on here/hear in the show that she may be American??) Perhaps she had some career which involved killing (CIA or something similar maybe??) and something went wrong somehow. Perhaps she fled in desperation and took on a new identity to protect herself (a bit like Irene Adler faking her death)?? Plus, Sherlock seems to like her so I trust his judgement. AND Sherlock thought that Magnussen was the worst man he'd ever come across so he must have had a really strong hold over her. He knew that John's weakness was Mary, but Mary's weakness was obviously John because she did what she did to protect him - to stop him being convicted of murder she deliberately didn't kill Magnussen and also to stop her past getting to him because she knew it would destroy him. I dunno, I'm just trying to justify still liking her!
  15. Not my fault if people have interesting coats that fit them nicely, is it? ^_^ I like your 'men in coats' theme! To add to the Men in Coats theme - this is Benedict Cumberbatch's coat in Star Trek: Into Darkness. Soooooooooooooo yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy!!!!
  16. I was late home tonight so I've only just finished watching it and I LOVED IT!!!! It tied up so many things for me that I was concerned about in SOT. Like most people I wish we didn't have to wait too long for the next series but I have the entire Benedict Cumberbatch back catalogue in my rental list from Love Film (other movie rental services are available) so I will while away the time watching and rewatching every episode of Sherlock (series three box set out 20th Jan!!) and indulge my Benny C cravings through other means too! Probably too buzzing to sleep much tonight but I'm so satisfied with tonight's episode. Last week I was an emotional wreck. Tonight I simply applaud the genius that was tonight's episode. Best. One. Yet!!!
  17. Not my fault if people have interesting coats that fit them nicely, is it? ^_^ I like your 'men in coats' theme! Oh man.... seeing these pictures has actually made me start to salivate!! I LOVE men in long coats!! And, hands down Sherlock is my fave character (and BC my favourite actor to ever portray him - used to love Jeremy Brett but he's too....stuffy by comparison. Love BC's youthful playfulness!) I'm going to have to lie down now after all this hot sexy coat action!!!!! P.S. Where, why and when was that top photo taken?? DT and BC in the same place is my idea of heaven!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. I think you're right. I just wonder how the "showing" will work now that it has been "told" - did they do it too soon?? (I say that in the hope that there will be about another 10000000000000000 episodes to come!!!) Now that it's out in the open, will there be that same poignancy? Or will we just get another level of their relationship.... I have to say it's been 12 hours since I rewatched it and I still keep playing that bit in my head and welling up so perhaps I was affected by it in exactly the way I was meant to be - the recognition that it was such a profound moment for both of them (Sherlock especially because of the public nature of the declaration).
  19. Rationally seeing Sherlock drunk, having him "flirt" with the bridesmaid (did he actually say "down girl" to her?!?") and the declaration of love for John felt ... I dunno... Misplaced??? (Was part of the appeal of their relationship the unspoken nature of their feelings?) Ah ha! I've just re-watched the episode this morning (woke up at 6.30 - my body obviously decided it'd had enough sleep and not enough Sherlock!) and I've justified the change in Sherlock that so many people have commented on for myself. The reason for the change is Mary. She and Sherlock connect and I think she's changed him. She's changed John too. He always found speaking about his emotions so difficult. Even in the face of death in TEH he could barely get out his words of admiration, and yet when he asks Sherlock to be best man he openly says he loves him. He'd never have done that before. John says that Mary is the best thing that ever happened to him, but I think she's the best thing that could have happened to the pair of them.
  20. I'm reading all of these on my phone hoping to get to the end before I wrote my comment on SOT but its 20 to 1 and there are a lot of comments! First off, I'm newish to Sherlock butnhave fallen for of head over heels (and Benny C of course!!! That coat, that hair, those cheek bones... Swoon!!!) Anyway, I missed the episode on Sunday so have only just watched its repeat on BBC3. I feel like I've been through some emotional trauma. I'm torn though between rationality and emotional response. Rationally seeing Sherlock drunk, having him "flirt" with the bridesmaid (did he actually say "down girl" to her?!?") and the declaration of love for John felt ... I dunno... Misplaced??? (Was part of the appeal of their relationship the unspoken nature of their feelings?) Emotionally - I went all gooey and fell even more in love BECAUSE I saw him drunk and because he flirted and because he said he loved John. With regards to Mary (love her too!) I remembered something from TEH that makes me worry for next week. Is CAM trying to get to her? When we see him replaying the footage of Sherlock getting John out the bonfire he replays her screaming John's name over and over... Hmm... Can't believe in 48 hours it'll all be over for this series :'(
  21. Hi everyone! Just joined the forum so I can indulge in some Sherlock chat without boring the arse off my boyfriend. Can't wait for His Last Vow on Sunday!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.