Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

From Sherlockology:

 

Some slightly different teaser shots from Arwel Wyn Jones to close the week - looks like he has been visiting London ahead of filming and videoing what he found. One location is instantly recognisable, but can you guess where that Phone Box is?

 

(Hint: We wrote a feature on the location last year, and those notes inside the Phone box should be a giveaway… and no, it ISN’T one of the entrances to the MInistry of Magic!)

Posted Image

 

Posted Image

  • Like 1
Posted

As for the phone booth, I can only think of the one that John finally answers and gets tagged by Mycroft. As to where it is? Not a clue unless it is near Speedy's if that is a clue?

Posted

The phone that John answers in SiP was (supposed to be) in Brixton (near Lauriston Gardens, where the pink lady's body was found). The notes posted on the inside of the door are supposed to be a clue, but I'm drawing a blank. Are there any phone booths in the canon stories?

 

Added:

We wrote a feature on the location last year, and those notes inside the Phone box should be a giveaway

And where are there notes -- either in the canon or in prior Sherlock episodes?

 

I've Googled Sherlockology's Tumblr site for "phone box," and -- other than the entry above -- all that comes up are names of rebloggers that contain the phrase. So apparently last year's feature on that location did not mention the phone box (or else called it something else).

 

Added later: Hmm, still no idea how the notes fit in, but aren't there some phone booths at St. Bart's, near where Sherlock fell?

Posted

Are there any phone booths in the canon stories

I think it mentions Holmes using the phone in later stories after the Great Hiatus, I think. But wither or not they had phone booths that early on in England, I don't know. It might be fun to research it.

 

Okay according to Wikipedia the first telephone in England was installed in Torr House, Devon in 1877. The first telephone booth is believed to have been installed in London in 1903.

Posted

OK, a phone booth probably never played a significant role in the original stories, or you'd remember it, so the significance presumably lies in prior Sherlock episodes. Jones apparently considers the notes to be significant as well. If they were already there, then I suspect they're a real-life Sherlock-fan thing, which would almost certainly mean the booth is by St. Bart's. A phone booth would be a nice protected-from-the-weather, not-in-anybody's-way kind of place to post tributes to Sherlock's apparent sacrifice (and a note is way cheaper than a floral wreath!).

 

If Jones placed the notes there himself, though -- hmmm -- could still be tributes -- or....?

Posted

Script promps? Like they used for Cumberbatch in the inn's fire place scene when a drug/frightened Sherlock deduces the down and out fisherman and his mother?

Posted

I think the phone box is the one by Barts, right near where Sherlock fell, that is sometimes implicated in Reichenbach theory.

 

This pics are from google maps - Posted Image - Posted Image

  • Like 1
Posted

It's definitely the booth at St Bart's, it's full of sticky notes left by fans. They said they filmed some of the explanation of the fall at the same time as they filmed season 2, but maybe they didn't get all of it and need to recreate part of the location in the studio for the missing bits.

  • Like 1
Posted

I'm waiting for Season 3 to be filmed before I watch "The Fall" again but you, aely and biscuitbear, have good eyes. Thank you.

  • Like 1
Posted

Yes, thanks for confirming my guess, guys!

 

Jones's phone booth really does look like one in your photos, aely -- though I viewed each one for only a few seconds, then the screen went white; odd! -- especially with that corner of a stone wall behind it. And I think you're right, biscuitbear, those are real-life notes put there by fans. (Probably most of them say, "I believe in Sherlock Holmes"!) And the only reason there aren't way more of them is that whoever cleans the phone booth removes them periodically.

 

Added: I'll have to remember to put a pad of Post-It Notes in my purse for our UK trip!

Posted

The phone box is the one at Barts, it's become a bit of a shrine. Somewhere there are photos of it with close -ups of the post it notes with "I believe in Sherlock" and "Moriarty was real" on them. If I can find the link I'll post it here.

Posted

Somewhere there are photos of it with close -ups of the post it notes with "I believe in Sherlock" and "Moriarty was real" on them.

Then I'll have to post an "I stand with John Watson" to even things up! ;)

 

 

If I can find the link I'll post it here.

Yes, please!

Posted

Yes, thanks, Jessie!

 

Some people have gotten really clever with their notes -- but I'm sure there's still room for straightforward ones. Most of them seem to be just pieces (or even scraps) of regular paper stuck up with tape. Those would probably stay put better than Post-Its, though Post-Its do come in some interesting colors (maybe use a Post-It and tape?). The notes written with a felt-tip pen show up the best by far -- gotta take one of those, too.

 

Does anyone know of other locations where Sherlock fans are posting notes?

Posted

From Sherlockology:

 

Posted Image

 

Steve Lawes (Director of Photography, Sherlock S3) and crew on a location recce for Sherlock S3, with Arwel Wyn Jones facing camera.

 

(And yes, it is THAT roof you’re thinking of)

  • Like 1
Posted

Not really sure which thread to post this on -- an indoor shot of an outdoor prop!

 

From Sherlockology:

 

Posted Image

 

Arwel Wyn Jones - ‘Look what I just found!’

 

And the internet explodes…

(Note the faint self-portrait of Jones -- or whoever actually held the camera -- similar to the shadowy view we had of John.)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 531 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.