Jump to content

Redbeard

Detectives
  • Posts

    260
  • Joined

Everything posted by Redbeard

  1. I think I remember during the part where they all went back to Baker St. and Sherlock (and Mary too I guess) is explaining everything to John about what happened the night of the shooting. Sherlock tells about how Mary shot him, but he also says that she saved his life. After all of the story is completely told the first thing John does is look at Sherlock and say "How did she save your life?" as though that was the most important thing to him. If it hadn't been for that, I don't think he could have ever forgiven Mary. (Oh but I still don't lol.)
  2. Love the picture! I have only seen these movies once each when they first came out. I don't remember being blown away by them, but did find them enjoyable enough. Certainly didn't start me down the mad path to total fandom like BBC Sherlock has lol. I think I will watch at least one of them today just to remind myself what they were like. This weekend I also began re-watching the Jeremy Brett DVD's...I think I am developing a bit of an obsession. Then again distraction is the best way to cope with the wait for season 4!
  3. I remember watching this series "back in the day" and I really loved it. I had a little crush on Sherlock then because of Jeremy Brett. Happened to be at the library yesterday and decided to check if they have the DVD boxed set and they did so I snatched it up and started watching yesterday. My two boys are huge fans of the current Sherlock so I told them let's watch this series it will help fill in the time until we get our next Sherlock fix. So they were hesitant because it was "old" and it "wasn't Benedict Cumberbatch" and it would be "boring" blah blah blah. They began watching nearly against their will.......yes you guessed it! They love it! They think Jeremy Brett is fantastic (Benedict will always be their ultimate Sherlock Holmes, I think). I noticed that to me their voices are quite similar. They both have that nice authoritative low growl to them.
  4. Maybe Jim could be the brother -- Maybe it was not their father who had an affair, but rather their mother. And she had it with a man named Moriarty, became pregnant, gave up/abandoned the child and then and had to hide it her whole life. Of course Mycroft knowing everything about everyone has discovered this over the years and Sherlock would have no idea. Would explain why Jim inherited much of the intelligence and similarities (since it is implied mummy is the smart one, not daddy lol). Might also explain why even though Mycroft knows about him, he doesn't care about him quite as much.
  5. My memory for exact quotes sucks, but it was something like this: Mycroft: If you go against Magnusson you will go up against ME. Sherlock: I'll let you know if I notice.
  6. Sign of Three is just so good from beginning to end. I found it a really wonderful, humourous, "feel-good" episode. Well, right up until the very end. I think it amazing that for a character so above emotion that Benedict gets to play so many really juicy scenes. It is incredible. Can I just say, I really love what I call the "Not You" scene. Only Benedict could make someone saying Not You over and over again so utterly entertaining and humourous. I look for moments in my life when I can point to someone with a dramatic flourish and say "Not you!" It has presented itself surprisingly often. lol.
  7. Yes I thought Sherlock was very sweet with Molly when he tried her out as being his partner. He even asked her out for dinner. I can't help but wonder if he thought even for a moment of a possibility of a just maybe...I mean here is someone he trusts as a friend, is smart, can assist him - like John only not forbidden ha. I haven't watched this scene in a long time but my memory is that after he asks her to go with him, they start talking about her engagement, and he winds up walking away alone. What happened that cancelled the dinner invitation? Did he just try and gracefully step away once he realized she was moving on? I always thought there something so sad and wistful about that scene. The way she watches him walk away alone down the road, nearly debating going after him, reminds me of the way he left the wedding alone, and there she was sadly watching but did not go after him. Part of me is waiting for the day she does run after him like a fool and he does not brush her off but is grateful and maybe a little hopeful. I never even realized I like Sherlock and Molly together until mid-way through this post lol. But it doesn't matter, because a single Sherlock is not only more correct to the character but also more fun. Let him stay above all that. (but maybe just a twinge for Molly from time to time).
  8. Just going to add my musings about this episode okay? I love everyone's thoughts and its amazing how much people notice and read into things. I love how people here go so in depth! My opinion on Mary - I do not like her. I did like her until she shot Sherlock. To me there is no coming back from that. I can't believe how easily he forgave her! Then again he seems like he easily forgives people that wrong him, like he holds no ill-will to Janine for trashing his name in the tabloids either (although I guess he figured that one was justified somewhat). And he forgives Irene for drugging and beating him. Seems like you can do whatever you want to him and he forgives it but harm John and you're toast. Oh but back to Mary. I don't like her. The final scene at the airfield...did not care for it the first time I watched it because John seemed so cold. But on re-watching I can see that, to me, he actually does seem VERY emotional but very bottled up about it. He didn't even want to shake Sherlock's hand right away because of the finality of it. I like the scene a lot now. And that final line! How Moriarty better bundle up warm, because an east wind is coming. Only moments before, Sherlock had told John the east wind story and how when Mycroft told the story it was to frighten him, Sherlock was the garbage that was to be taken by the east wind (and Sherlock comments what a bad brother Mycroft was for doing so). John immediately turns that around and in his version, Sherlock is now the east wind, not the victim. I thought it was wonderful, kind of like justice for the little boy Sherlock that he had a friend that turned Mycroft's story around like that. I felt John was proud of Sherlock, that he viewed him as such an unstoppable force of nature, and that he was so happy to have him back. I think it ended on such a bright note. And oh darn I have to leave for work lol. Thanks for letting me play!
  9. Thank you both for the kind welcome! Coming to a forum for the first time can feel like a new kid at a new school with no friends lol. Thanks for being friendly.
  10. Caya, thank you for the welcome! I appreciate that.
  11. I was very skeptical about it! I just remember vaguely reading about a modern day Sherlock Holmes and that the characters were "young". I started to envision something more like the Hardy Boys type of ages, lol, or where Sherlock and John go to the mall or nightclubs and sleep around and play video games all day or something. I just don't know what I was expecting. Next thing was I happened to see the cover for the DVD on Amazon and I thought, huh, it looks interesting. They look a little older and more complex than I thought, the cover art is a little moody and atmospheric looking...maybe...and then I promptly forgot all about it. I had also heard of "Elementary" and thought I liked that title better but didn't watch either one. I had heard, of course, of how popular the show was and put it in my mind as something to watch, someday. Then a couple of weeks ago my son was going to watch on Netflix and asked me if I wanted to join him. Yeah sure...skeptical...but lets see what this is all about, finally. By ten minutes in, I loved it. By the end of the first episode I wanted more. By the end of the second episode I was a goner. Done. How could I have ever doubted? This is a rare show where they got EVERYTHING so perfectly right. And I am now addicted. Obsessed. A woman I work with expressed how she was hesitant to watch it because she didn't know if it would be good. I just shook my head with a knowing smile. Ah I was once so naïve lol. I regret my skepticism now and beg for forgiveness for my lack of faith. Me just weeks ago = curious but not THAT interested Me now = Sherlocked
  12. I just watched the unaired pilot and have to agree that I prefer the final aired version. It was fascinating to watch though. I found the character of John to be very much the same, but I found Sherlock a little different. Definitely more boyish, unsure, and seemed more human - smiled a lot more it seems. By the time of the actual aired version, it seemed like Benedict had more of a handle on the character, played him with much more authority and confidence and attitude. And that is when he really owns the role. But all the great elements were there, you can see it was the beginning of an amazing thing.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.