Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm aware that on many cases, it is sometimes necessary for Holmes and/or Watson to be armed with a revolver, yet I can't say I've ever heard mention of a waist or shoulder holster.

 

Did they just keep the firearm in their belt or coat pocket ?

 

It was strange to see Sherlock (Jeremy Brett) armed with an apparent American Colt .45 peacemaker, single-action revolver in an episode on television.

Posted

In the stories I seem to remember "the pocket" mentioned as where Watson kept his pistol. I don't recall any mention of a holster, although since it was a military piece Watson would have one?  

 

But maybe since Holmes's call to arms were often sudden and spur of the moment, Watson may not have felt he had time to strap the thing on? Only speculation on my part, of course. 

Posted

I've never seen Holmes and Watson use holsters, only their pockets. Even though the safety was always on (or is that off? I always get baffled by that), I always got nervous about that.

Posted

True..!

Posted

Doesn't John tuck his gun into his pants?   I know he keeps tire levers down there too!

Posted

Sometimes he keeps the gun in his coat pocket.

 

Convict13, when you say "pants" do you mean that in the British sense (underpants) or the American sense (trousers)?  Or is the Australian sense something else entirely?

 

(Just trying to stop imagining John tucking the gun into his underwear....)

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Trousers, and now I am imagining that too!  

  • Like 1
Posted

Sorry!  :D

 

Is that the usual meaning of "pants" in Australia?  I'm guessing that "trousers" was the original meaning, but then at some point after the US and Australia were colonized, the meaning changed back in England.  Maybe it was originally a Victorian euphemism?

 

Hmm, what would it mean to you if I said "I'm quite thin"?

 

Posted

It would mean that you were thin as in skinny.  I would take that literally, as in I am thin.  Does it mean something else?

 

It's funny you should mention that I've been studying early Australia Literature this semester at Uni and the world Yarn?  What do you think that means?

 

Pants can mean both trousers and underpants,   but we would really call underpants, undies.  

Posted

Yes, that's what "quite thin" means here too, very thin.  As I understand it, in the UK it can mean "sort of thin" or "a bit on the thin side" -- but that seems to be a fairly recent development, since all of the older British people I have queried agree with my meaning.

 

"Pants" can sometimes imply underwear here too, but that's more of a subtext kinda meaning.  When I was in my early 20's, I had injured my left knee, and my family doctor was giving me advice for strengthening it.  He said, "I want to see that knee jump right out of your pants" [i sat there in my skirt and waited for it] "not that you wear pants" [i just waited] "I mean -- I mean ...."  Poor fellow.  ;)

 

As for "yarn" -- well that could mean woolen fiber for knitting, or it could mean a story.  That's about it here, I think.  What does it mean there?

 

Posted

Moriarty had cause to remind Holmes that a loaded revolver was quite dangerous when concealed in the pocket (of his dressing gown!)

 

There is no mention of holsters in the canon and they would have been singularly ungainly items given the hundred-odd layers that they seem to wore as decent Victorian gentlemen (maybe this is also why Watson is so reticent on the details of his amorous adventures... once he'd stripped off he was too tired to actually do any lovemaking. No wonder he and Mary never had kids...!)

 

Um, I kind of digressed there....

  • Like 1
Posted

:rofl:

 

 

And of course Mary would have been swaddled in even more layers!

 

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.