How to Delete or Hide your own Unwanted Posts or Threads

The first part's easy -- regular members cannot actually Delete their own posts or threads.  (Only staff members have access to that function.)  But you can do something just as effective -- you can Hide your own unwanted posts or threads.

How to Hide a post:

Let's say you've accidentally posted the same thing twice.  Or you've posted it in the wrong thread.  Or you've changed your mind.  Or you've just realized that you said something incredibly stupid.  (Surely I can't be the only one!)  You have two options:  You can Edit your post (which helps in some cases).  Or you can Hide it.  Here's how:

Look at the post that you wish would disappear.  Just to the left of the Quote buttons is a very faint Hide button (move the cursor over it, and it will magically become fully visible).  Just click on that, and you'll be asked for a reason.  Type in "duplicate post" or whatever your reason may be, then click the black Hide button.  And that's it -- your post will disappear and nobody except staff members will even know it's there.

By the way, if you should happen to change your mind back, just contact any staff member and we'll be happy to unHide your post for you.

How to Hide a thread:

First, please don't Hide a thread if someone else has already posted on it.  Contact a staff member, and we'll work something out.

Otherwise, let's say you've accidentally posted the same thread twice.  Or you've posted it in the wrong subforum.  Or you've simply changed your mind.  You have two options:  You can Edit your own initial post (which helps in some cases).  Or you can Hide the entire thread.  Here's how:

Look near the top of the page, over to the right of the thread's title, and you'll see a link called "Topic Moderation."  Click on that, and a tiny box will pop up with the word "Hide" inside it -- click on that.  You'll be asked for a reason, so just type in "duplicate" or "changed my mind" or whatever the case may be, then click the Hide button just underneath the reason box.  All gone!

But if you should happen to change your mind, just contact any staff member, and we'll be happy to unHide it for you.

• Like 3

Based on how many times a Mod have to hide my double post, it still didn't work on mobile.

Sorry about that.   :(   I'll make sure Tim's aware of the problem. 

Do you see a Hide button?  If so, what happens when you try to use it?

Which mobile skin (theme) are you using?  Just for kicks, could you switch to the other mobile skin and see if that makes a difference?

Thanks, Carol. :) I use the default theme (not sure which one, it is the full version). I can see the Hide button just fine. When chosen, the white lettering looks even brighter after the page finished loading.

Edit:

IP.Board succeed to hide the post but I don't like its colouring. Safe For Work give, " Oops! Something went wrong!

[#10367]

You do not have permission to carry out that function." result.

That's interesting.  Do you mean that you're using the regular default theme on your mobile phone, not one of the mobile themes?  For all I know, though, if you log in from a mobile phone, the software automatically restricts you to the mobile themes (I don't have a smart phone).  You can tell what theme you're currently using by scrolling to the bottom of the page and clicking on Change Theme -- the theme with the check mark next to it is the one.  Could you list all of the theme names that you see there, and which one has the check mark?

When you say you tried IP.Board, was that the regular version or the mobile version?

nod-skype-smiley.gif It looks like in laptop, dark blue-green background with white lettering.

No checkmark on the list of themes but I can see: IP.Board, IP.Board Mobile, Graphite, Deviant 3, Deviant 3 Mobile, Safe For Work.

If I did not open this forum for a few hours then it is automatically IP.Board Mobile, but on the bottom of the page there is an option for Full Version which lead to the laptop-alike appearance.

I queried Tim, and got this reply:

It may well be just a function that is unavailable on the mobile skins. In order to make them as easy as possible to use on small screens only the most commonly used functions of the forum are supported.

A workaround would be for anyone using a mobile theme to PM a mod or Admin with a link to any post which may need hiding.

So I'd like to ask anyone else who has a smart phone:

1.  Which theme (skin) are you using?

2.  Do you see a Hide button?

3.  If so, what happens when you try to use it?

All input much appreciated!

Tried different skins for mobile, there is no Hide button.

For the record, I always use Full Version, even when I'm posting from my phone, which is almost always.

Yep, it could be challenging using full version in mobile. One of the biggest one is sometimes uncontrollable zoom. Many times I click on something it opens others because the delayed/sometimes there/sometimes not zoom. So if I seem to visit your profile multiple times, no, I'm not stalking, it happens because I was trying to reply something or click something near someone's user name. And I guess there were multiple times I accidentally click Report as well and deleting chunk of my post which could be frustating but still, I always prefer Full version.

Anyway, even in full function, I don't always see those buttons that make posting easier (those link button, spoiler, quote, attach etc). I can't count on them and they might appear/not in the same device. So, more often that not, I end up trying to remember the Bb code and work around that. For example, I found a loophole to credit the person I quote without using multiquote by using

etc etc.
  • Like 2

Tried different skins for mobile, there is no Hide button.

For the record, I always use Full Version, even when I'm posting from my phone, which is almost always.

I think you've solved the mystery, then. The Hide function is not supported on phones, so using a regular skin on a phone confuses the heck out of the software. Even though you see a Hide button, it doesn't work because it's not supposed to work on phones. Sorry!

There's no law against using regular skins on your phone, but don't expect everything to work properly if you do.  (Though as you said later, in some cases you can just type in the BBCode yourself.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have expanded the initial post to include directions for hiding a thread (if no one else has posted to it).

• Like 1