Favourite albums.

I know it's next to impossible to do this because you always forget to include one but anyway...let's see what might be in your album collections. Any embarrassing favourites? Put them in any order if you can't separate them.

Just to suit my own choices I'll allow one box set if you want to add one. So this is me...

1. Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin

2. Close To The Edge by Yes

3. Clutching At Straws by Marillion

4. Blood On The Tracks by Bob Dylan

5. Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche

6. Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd

7. Made In Japan by Deep Purple

8. Into The Pandemonium by Celtic Frost

9. Pawn Hearts by Van Der Graaf Generator

10. The Early Music Collection (Naxos box set)

• Like 1

Oooh, right up my alley.

In no particular order....

Moody Blues ... To Our Children's Children's Children

Everything by U2 except Zooropa and Achtung Baby.

Paul Simon ... Graceland

R.E.M. ... Automatic for the People and Murmur

Fairport Convention ... Liege and Lief

Joaquin Rodrigo ... Concierto de Aranjuez

Holst ... The Planets

Salif Keita ... Moffou

Suzanne Vega ... Songs in Red and Gray

Jethro Tull ... Stand Up and Benefit

The Verve ... Urban Hymns

Dead Can Dance ... In Concert

Garbage ... Strange Little Birds

And that's just the tip of the iceberg......

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Oooh, right up my alley.

In no particular order....

Moody Blues ... To Our Children's Children's Children

Everything by U2 except Zooropa and Achtung Baby.

Paul Simon ... Graceland

R.E.M. ... Automatic for the People and Murmur

Fairport Convention ... Liege and Lief

Joaquin Rodrigo ... Concierto de Aranjuez

Holst ... The Planets

Salif Keita ... Moffou

Suzanne Vega ... Songs in Red and Gray

Jethro Tull ... Stand Up and Benefit

The Verve ... Urban Hymns

Dead Can Dance ... In Concert

Garbage ... Strange Little Birds

And that's just the tip of the iceberg......

Good stuff Arcadia.

Ive been listening to some Moody Blues lately. I have ‘In Search Of The Lost Chord,’ ‘On The Threshold Of A Dream,’ and ‘Question Of Balance.’

Ive seen Jethro Tull a few times and have most of their albums. Brilliant stuff.

Fairport Convention get a massive thumbs up from me. Sandy Denny could sing the phone book and make it sound amazing.

I love Dead Can Dance too. I only really ‘discovered’ them 3 or 4 years ago.

Great choices.🤙

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 5:26 PM, HerlockSholmes said:

Good stuff Arcadia.

Ive been listening to some Moody Blues lately. I have ‘In Search Of The Lost Chord,’ ‘On The Threshold Of A Dream,’ and ‘Question Of Balance.’

Ive seen Jethro Tull a few times and have most of their albums. Brilliant stuff.

Fairport Convention get a massive thumbs up from me. Sandy Denny could sing the phone book and make it sound amazing.

I love Dead Can Dance too. I only really ‘discovered’ them 3 or 4 years ago.

Great choices.🤙

"Threshold" is another favorite, yes. But I've often said I think "Children's Children" is the closest thing to a perfect album I've ever heard.

I just recently discovered DCD too! Yet they've been around forever, I can't figure out how they slipped past me. I was supposed to see them in concert last spring but, you know .... coronavirus. Phoo.

I am not familiar with Celtic Frost. Cool name (no pun intended :smile: ) -- I'll have to check them out. 

18 hours ago, Arcadia said:

"Threshold" is another favorite, yes. But I've often said I think "Children's Children" is the closest thing to a perfect album I've ever heard.

I just recently discovered DCD too! Yet they've been around forever, I can't figure out how they slipped past me. I was supposed to see them in concert last spring but, you know .... coronavirus. Phoo.

I am not familiar with Celtic Frost. Cool name (no pun intended :smile: ) -- I'll have to check them out. 

Celtic Frost are what was known as a thrash metal band which obviously isn’t everyone’s cup of tea (I’ve always been a rock/metal fan) Into The Pandemonium was labelled ‘avant garde’ by some reviewers at the time. A fair bit of weirdness on there.

It’s a shame that you had to miss DCD Arcadia. One of those bands that you really regret the years that you missed listening to them or seeing them. I’d heard the name but for some reason had written them off as a New Romantic type band! Their not exactly Spandau Ballet😀

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 7:04 PM, HerlockSholmes said:

Celtic Frost are what was known as a thrash metal band which obviously isn’t everyone’s cup of tea (I’ve always been a rock/metal fan) Into The Pandemonium was labelled ‘avant garde’ by some reviewers at the time. A fair bit of weirdness on there.

It’s a shame that you had to miss DCD Arcadia. One of those bands that you really regret the years that you missed listening to them or seeing them. I’d heard the name but for some reason had written them off as a New Romantic type band! Their not exactly Spandau Ballet😀

Okay, no offense, but I have to pass on Celtic Frost; not a fan of trash metal. :P

However, I just noticed that DCD has rescheduled their concert for later this year, so I hope I get to go after all. Pretty soon I'll be vaccinated, so I'll feel more comfortable giving it a try ... I think. Still wary of crowds, to be honest. But I'd love to see them.

Just discovered another band that I somehow missed when they started ... Massive Attack. Haven't heard a lot of them yet, but what I'm hearing is fantastic. Need to buy some tunes. :smile: 

I can't believe I forgot to put the Beatles (Rubber Soul and Revolver, in particular) and Crosby, Stills and Nash on my list ... possibly because I don't really listen to them anymore, partly due to not having a working turntable at the moment, and to not having the funds to re-purchase my entire record collection in digital format!  But also I suspect I just wore them out a little.

Which makes me realize ... I seldom buy albums anymore, I mostly just download 2-3 songs from an album that I like and stop there. (However ... I just recently learned about McCartney's latest album (McCartney III) and managed to listen to it online ... and liked it so much that I actually purchased the whole thing. I have to admit, now that I've played it a few times, it will never be a "favorite" -- but the first half is sensational and I'm glad I bought it. The second half is a little too "Magical Mystery Tour"-ish for my taste. Still, it's amazing ... apparently he plays all the instruments and does all the vocals.)

Anyway, that's why most of my "favorite" albums are so old ... I don't have many new ones. Just bits and pieces of new ones. I feel a little bad about that ... there was something special about listening to an entire album by a band. At the same time, so many albums have at least one track, and usually more, that I really don't want to listen to. So digital downloads really appeal to me. But I feel a little guilty about helping to destroy the "album experience." Phoo.  😞 

• 2 years later...

Some great choices in this thread (I too am a massive fan of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon, along with most of their 70s output With Wish you Were Here and The Wall as particular favourites)

Some other albums I have enjoyed over the years in no particular order:

• Rush - Moving Pictures
  • Dire Straits - Dire Straits
  • Van Halen - 1984
  • AC/DC - Highway To Hell
  • Aimee Mann - Lost In Space
  • Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
  • Evanescence - Fallen
  • The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God
  • Queen - The Game
  • Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
  • Skunk Anansie - Paranoid & Sunburnt