Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Now, this appeared in tumblr some days ago and at first I thought it was a joke by the fans...but nope, it's completely legit XP And the summary sounds like one I'd read at ffnet, not Amazon:

 

""My dear Watson, how does one go about kissing a woman?"...

 

Sherlock Holmes’ question leads to a lesson Watson never expected to teach. And feelings he never thought to explore. A single kiss alters Watson’s world while the announcement of Holmes’ upcoming marriage sets an odd fear in his heart.

 

Amidst the beauty of an English country party, the greatest detective the world has ever known searches for a traitor. Somewhere among the glittering nobility a sadist lurks, using blackmail to destroy lives and endanger a nation.

 

Only Sherlock Holmes can save an innocent man and bring the traitor to justice. It’s a search that could cement the greatest friendship of all time into something far deeper and stronger...if the hunt doesn’t end Watson’s life first.

 

Genres: Gay / Historical / Mystery / Detective / Action / Adventure"

 

Anyone read this yet? XD

Posted

http://www.amazon.com/Kissing-Sherlock-Holmes-ebook/dp/B005FA0MJO/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

 

NO WAI.

 

Is it bad that I'm absolutely cracking up? If I weren't terrified about somebody finding this book hidden somewhere and wondering about what I was reading, I would totally buy this. Either for the lolz, or for legitimate pure enjoyment if it were the case. It'd be a win-win. Except I don't have a good hiding spot for this kind of thing. :embarrassed:

  • Like 1
Posted

http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

 

NO WAI.

 

Is it bad that I'm absolutely cracking up? If I weren't terrified about somebody finding this book hidden somewhere and wondering about what I was reading, I would totally buy this. Either for the lolz, or for legitimate pure enjoyment if it were the case. It'd be a win-win. Except I don't have a good hiding spot for this kind of thing. :embarrassed:

 

One trick for you: cover it in plain paper. I usually do that for any books I'm reading outside the house, just grab one or two A4s and cover it, as one would to protect the book. My mother used to do it with wrapping paper as well. You don't even have to stick the paper to the book, just fold it around it. Works for me... :D

  • Like 1
Posted

One trick for you: cover it in plain paper. I usually do that for any books I'm reading outside the house, just grab one or two A4s and cover it, as one would to protect the book. My mother used to do it with wrapping paper as well. You don't even have to stick the paper to the book, just fold it around it. Works for me... :D

 

That's brilliant. I know what I'm ordering when I get home...
Posted

Its an Amber Quill Press. I nearly thought of submitting to them before submitting to Dreamspinner instead. Holmes is now in Public Domain which is why you are getting other writers using the characters. It does sound like fanfiction but there might be nothing wrong in that. There are a few good writers out there who cut their teeth on it.

Posted

Oh wow! You have a published book? That's so cool!

It's a dream of mine.

 

And there are some fantastic fanfic writers out there who really should have their work published.

But like the OP said, it does sound like something you would find on ff.net.

 

I ship JohnLock like you wouldn't believe, but I don't know if I'd actually buy a book about them

unless it was a hard copy of MadLori's Performance in a Leading Role.

Posted

I actually downloaded and read it XD

 

Definately fanficish but the writer truly did her homework, adding mentions to previous cases and characters all the time and the writing in itself wasn't that bad.

Posted

I have two actually. Both m/m romance, a novel and sequel ebook novella. Mine started life as fanfic though, but I had serious work to 'rub off the barcodes' as it were before they were published. No offence but I'm not giving details here because they fall into adult fiction and this isn't the thread for it.

Posted

Oh wow! You have a published book? That's so cool!

It's a dream of mine.

 

And there are some fantastic fanfic writers out there who really should have their work published.

But like the OP said, it does sound like something you would find on ff.net.

 

I ship JohnLock like you wouldn't believe, but I don't know if I'd actually buy a book about them

unless it was a hard copy of MadLori's Performance in a Leading Role.

 

 

You know, Sherlocked, I happen to be making a paperback version this moment:P I am just copying and pasting it in word and making an pdf-file of it. EZ book will print it for me ( link:

http://www.ezbook.nl/) It's a dutch site my father used to print some books. I just want to be able to read my fav fanfic without needing internet connection or my mobile phone.

Of course with all credits to the fabulous MadLori :)

 

 

About 'Kissing Sherlock Holmes'... I'd definitely read that! It sounds appealing to me. Has anyone here read it?

 

 

 

Whoa JessieBlackwood, you wrote TWO novel(le)s?!? That's ...wow! Respect for your commitment! I used to write things myself, but I quit halfway through, because... well... something else interested me more... I guess...

Posted

About 'Kissing Sherlock Holmes'... I'd definitely read that! It sounds appealing to me. Has anyone here read it?

 

 

I have, is there anything you want to know? ^^

Posted

I'll try to answer without giving away spoilers.

 

The plot is logical, although I could see who the culprit was from a mile away. There were times it almost felt like a Sherlock Holmes novel, but when it came to describing people, specially women, it was very different. I liked Watson, but Holmes wasn't very in character; I felt as if he wasn't a sharp as he should be.

 

One thing I found funny is that, although this is a mature m/m fic novel

they hardly make out and go no further than a blowjob

 

Posted

I found it for free on the internet, but it's been over a week so I don't remember where ;_;

Posted

OMG I have a huge collection of very NSFW fics if anyone wants links.

Posted

There have been lots and lots of speculations as to whether the relationship was actually more than friendship but nobody will ever know I guess. Not for sure. After all, ACD couldn't have openly said so anyway because homosexuality was at best illegal and at worst looked on as a disease to be cured. I like to think that the relationship was a very deep trusting friendship between two men who were sure of their own sexuality and not threatened by the other. The classic line where Holmes shows how much he feels for Watson is the following when Watson suffers a superficial bullet wound: "It was worth a wound; it was worth many wounds; to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain." Indeed, Holmes goes on to state to the man who injured Watson that, had he killed Watson, he wouldn't have got out alive. Such was the depth of feeling the two men shared. Who knows whether ACD was venting his own feelings for someone, saying "Look, it is possible for two men to love each other WITHOUT being in a relationship."? Again, we'll never know for certain. Maybe he was subtly supporting the gay movement. Again, speculation. It would, however, be nice to think he wouldn't mind that lots of fans would be happy to see them together.

Posted

Did a little Googling and found some reviews. I'm familiar with Romance Junkies -- they don't mess around on their ratings. Just because it's a romance, doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good pastiche.

 

http://romancejunkiesreviews.com/artman/publish/suspense/Kissing_Sherlock_Homles.shtml

 

Oh - just in case folks might not be familiar with the term, Dictionary.com defines "pastiche" as "a literary, musical, or artistic piece consisting wholly or chiefly of motifs or techniques borrowed from one or more sources." And there are a lot of Holmes pastiches out there.

Posted

But why the JohnLocking? I mean, it would be a serious improvement to get our Sherlock to look at a girl, let a lone his only friend!

Posted

But he did look at a girl. Holmes has VERY high standards and Irene Adler came close but Moffat and Gatiss seem to be keeping to the Holmesian canon that he has an inate distrust of women. "They are not to be trusted" are the words within the original stories. I agree that getting Sherlock to look at a girl would be an improvement but let's face it, we women are hopelessly in love with the idea of two guys together (which is the driving force behind m/m fiction) and that, imho, is what drives the 'johnlocking' that goes on.

 

Romance readers are seriously not mucking about where their reviews and ratings are concerned. As a writer of m/m romance I know the score there and feel honoured when I've had a good review for my work. Most these days are into good plot, good characterisation and essentially a good story. You cannot please all the people all the time though. Standards seem to be getting higher. Readers are demanding better and better stuff all the time. Of course there is the out and out blatant erotic content and different publishers seem to demand different content (some push the boundaries and some discourage it) but even the erotic romances seem to demand good plotlines these days. These days the Mills and Boon stereotypical bodice rippers seem to be on the wane.

Posted

But why the JohnLocking? I mean, it would be a serious improvement to get our Sherlock to look at a girl, let a lone his only friend!

 

What about Irene Adler? Sherlock respected her almost as much as he does John.

 

JohnLock shipping simply comes from the latent homoerotic tension between Holmes and Watson. Every adaptation has some JohnLock undertones to it, it's pretty unavoidable because of the relationship that the canon characters have.

And Moffat and Gatiss, like beliveinsherlock said, play around with the idea of them being perceived as gay because it's acceptable to do so in out social climate. And therefore, the fan girls, (including me), will ship it because it has been given to them on a silver platter.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.