Sherlock Holmes Audio Dramas

Ultragonk

I have managed to get the full collection of Holmes BBC audio dramas that had been adapted by Bert Coules, it includes all the original stories as well as some he has written from references in original stories as a pastiche. It has Clive Merrison and Holmes and Michael Williams and later Andrew Sach as Watson. 

I find it very well acted and Coules adaptions are very good.

so you can get a taste of what they are like, I do recommend them to anyone with a love of Holmes. 
  • Like 3

I hadn't heard of this -- thanks, Ultragonk!

This List of BBC Radio Sherlock Holmes dramatisations summarises the BBC Radio 4 radio dramatisations of the complete Sherlock Holmes stories, featuring Clive Merrison as Holmes and Michael Williams as Watson. Together, the two actors completed radio adaptations of every story in the canon between 1989 and 1998. The complete canonical run is available on CD and audio cassette.

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, a new series consisting of original stories written exclusively by Bert Coules was then commissioned, but following Williams' death from cancer in 2001, he was replaced by Andrew Sachs. The episodes of The Further Adventures were based on throwaway references in Doyle's short stories and novels.

I wonder whether one episode title from Valley of Fear is a Wikipedia typo or an intentional change for the dramatization -- they have "The Scowlers" rather than "The Scowrers."

• Like 1

I wonder whether one episode title from Valley of Fear is a Wikipedia typo or an intentional change for the dramatization -- they have "The Scowlers" rather than "The Scowrers."

It's a Wikipedian typo

Here's the link to the Radio4 Extra site with the correct title: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007k1jp

• Like 2

Also meant to add I like so of the stories that Coules makes up himself from references from original Holmes stories. One I quite like a lot is The Abergavenny Murder where someone makes their way to 221B Baker Street but then falls dead at the feet of Holmes and Watson.

• 2 months later...

With the exception of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce who did a few in the 1940s, I've never managed to get to hear any of them. Or any other versions. I don't know when the last time the shows were on the radio. I hope they appear one day. Any version will do.

• 2 months later...

With the exception of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce who did a few in the 1940s, I've never managed to get to hear any of them. Or any other versions. I don't know when the last time the shows were on the radio. I hope they appear one day. Any version will do.

I really should have answered this a lot earlier but anyway, if you want to listen to some of them then they appear ad hoc on

though I should imagine you can get them on CD on Amazon. 

• 5 months later...

Hello. I'm new here.

The Merrison/Williams partnership is magnificent. Watson isn't quite so Nigel Bruce dumb and Holmes is exactly how he should be - curmudgeonly yet capable of moments of kindness. The stories are well directed and the supporting cast seldom go over the top. They even handle the later and (in my opinion) stories well. I've never liked The Mazarin Stone but they do a good job.

Well worth a listen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I always worry about when audio dramas are concerned is that they lend themselves to some overwrought acting. Luckily, apart from some rare parts, these dramas are free of that type of acting.