Enigma

The Shepherd's Monument

Sorry, if this is a repost. But has anyone heard about the Shepherd's Monument? According to my knowledge, it is still a unsolved mystery. The Shepherd's Monument is in Staffordshire, England. It was built in 18th century.

The inscriptions on monument is the real mystery - DOUOSVAVVM.

No, I'd never heard of it, so I went a-Googling, and came up with one person's suggestion for a solution.  I'm unconvinced, but am interested to know what you think of it.

Hey Carol,

You asked me what I think?

To be honest with you, I am still working on the meaning of inscriptions and other facts.

At this point, I can't say anything.

The link you sent was quite interesting. Though his conclusion was wasn't really taking all facts.

Carol, what did you think about this monument?

At this point, I can't really say much about the monument as a whole.

The explanation I linked to seems somewhat unlikely to me because Roman numerals are not typically used in that fashion.  They are generally arranged in descending order of magnitude -- and when a smaller numeral does precede a larger one, it is to be subtracted rather than added -- e.g., IX means "one subtracted from ten," or nine.  (Of course, if the inscription was intended as a code or cipher, the usual rules might not apply.)

Also, the D and the M are clearly lower than the other letters and somewhat removed from them sideways as well, which presumably means something.  The explanation did not take this into account.

And finally, if the inscription was merely intended to honor Poussin's birth date of 1594, why not just render it in the usual way, MDXCIV?  What's so secret about a birth date?

Admittedly, it's an interesting coincidence, if that is indeed all it is.

Nor does the Solved "explanation" seem to take into account the dots between each letter. Those too may be of special meaning.

• Like 1

Ooh -- dots -- I hadn't noticed those!  Interesting -- the marbling of the stone itself makes it difficult to be entirely certain, but the inscription seems to be:

O . U . O . S . V . A . V . V

D .  _________________________  M .

(ignore the underscore, which is there merely for spacing purposes)

The dots between letters in the top row could be taken as merely ornamental spacing, as could the dot following the D -- but why then would the final dot not precede the M?  Could be a simple error -- or not.

That is thought out and convincing.  The code cracker even states that he tried to convince himself that he is wrong which is more than what some can say.

Interesting that they say nobody mentioned the inscription at first.  If that's true, then either everyone understood it when the monument was first built, or else it's a later addition of some sort.