Sign in to follow this  
Amber§

The Librarians (and Moriarty)

I'm not sure if it's the righ place for this new topic, but....do you know the tv series called "The Librarians"?

In the second season Moriarty is one of the main characters!

If some of you have seen this series, how do you find Moriarty in comparison with "our" Moriarty of Sherlock series? :)

I'm not sure if it's the righ place for this new topic, but....do you know the tv series called "The Librarians"?

If some of you have seen this series [....]

I have heard of the series, because it's produced by the same people who produced one of our favorite shows, Leverage (and Christian Kane is in both).  But The Librarians (the television series) is based on three movies collectively called The Librarian.  We have no idea whether one would need to have seen the movies in order to appreciate the television series, but in any case, we have acquired the movie DVDs, and plan to watch them as "homework" before getting the DVDs of the television series.  To put it more briefly:  Not yet!

If some of you have seen this series, how do you find Moriarty in comparison with "our" Moriarty of Sherlock series? :)

Rats, I saw it advertised then forgot all about it. Anyone remember what network it's showing on?

Rats, I saw it advertised then forgot all about it. Anyone remember what network it's showing on?

Apparently it's on TNT.

Ah. That explains it .... our crappy cable service no longer includes TNT. Hmph.

And I can't seem to find the DVDs anywhere except places like eBay.  :huh:  This show just started a year ago!

My sister watches the show on occasion and I don't recall her ever watching the movies. She's never told me about being confused by doing that.

OK, thanks.  From what I've read, the series is kind of a sequel to the movies, but apparently it can be understood just fine on its own.

Yes, I think that it's a good thing :)

I have seen some of the original movies of this series I think- it had Noah Wyle from E.R. as lead and I think one also starred Stana Katic from Castle. I don't think the original characters even appear in the show, so whilst the premise is probably similar (I think it was a sort of Librarian Indiana Jones type theme), it might not make much difference to just watch the show.

I believe you're right.  The two versions are apparently compatible, but the main characters in the series are apparently newcomers to the "librarian" job, so it's a sort of loose sequel.  There is some overlap (e.g., Bob Newhart) in the supporting cast, however, so they both take place in the same "universe."

OK, we finally got caught up with our new DVDs sufficiently to watch the three Librarian movies.  The "Library" here is a collection of mystical artifacts (the Ark of the Covenant, Excalibur, etc.) that are being kept hidden from the world at large in order to keep them from falling into the hands of those who would use them for evil purposes.  It's the job if The Librarian to bring other such potentially dangerous artifacts into the collection.

The tone is indeed similar to the Indiana Jones movies.  I found the first one enjoyable but nowhere near terrific.  I liked the second a little better, and thought the third one was good enough to warrant buying season one of the TV show, which we have recently started watching.

The show is definitely a sequel to the movies.  There is some overlap in the cast, primarily Noah Wyle (the movies' Librarian), who is reportedly in about half of the episodes.  Bob Newhart and Jane Curtin also repeat their roles, but only for a handful of episodes.

But the show has, as you might guess from the title change, more of an ensemble cast.  Each new member of the Librarian team has a specialty, much like the team in Leverage (though the characters are considerably different from that show's).  The overall tone is also different, similar to Leverage, a nice mix of adventure, suspense, humor, and human interest.  So far, we like it, and think it's considerably better than the movies.

As to whether it's helpful to see the movies before watching the TV show, I'd say it's helpful but not necessary.  The movies give you the background to know what's going on in the show without having to figure it out as you go along.  (I would imagine that the first movie would be adequate for that purpose.). Or you could just come back to this thread if you have any questions.

P.S.:  The show's DVDs are now available on Amazon.

There were only 3 movies???? I could have sworn I saw more than that...… :wacko: 

Yup, only three over a span of about ten years.

I thought Noah Wyle grew into the part very nicely, by the way.  Or maybe Flynn (Wyle's character) grew to give a better chance for Wyle to demonstrate his acting abilities.  In any case, I found the character more complex and interesting by the third movie.

Also noticed (on IMDb) that the TV show has the occasional guest star from Leverage (presumably thanks to the producers) and from latter-day Star Trek (presumably thanks to frequent producer Jonathan Frakes).

I agree, the first movie didn't give him a lot of great moments. Mildly fun enough to watch, that was about it.

I really liked him in …. oh geez, what was the name of that thing? Some sci fi series. Help.... I think it was on TNT? Which our cable company dropped :( so I never got to see the ending, if there was one. Heck, for all I know it's still on. Something about Lights, I think? Geez.

ETA: Falling Skies! Gah, my brain.....

What I want to know is, how come Noah Wyle's last name doesn't rhyme with Kyle, Lyle, and Pyle?  Apparently he pronounces it like Wylie.  It seems to be his actual family name, not a respelling to attract attention.

(And he's apparently one of those guys who looks very appealing with facial fur -- see the Wikipedia page that I linked to above.)

Yeah, he sports the fur in Falling Skies. It works. :) 

I've never known how it was supposed to be pronounced, but in my head I've always said it as "Wylie", then usually wondered why. Possibly because I've never heard of anyone with the last name "Wile"?

I won't swear to this, but I believe they've been pronouncing it "Wylie" in the DVD extras.  I'll try to pay attention next time.

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

... in my head I've always said it as "Wylie", then usually wondered why. Possibly because I've never heard of anyone with the last name "Wile"?

Andrew Weil, MD, apparently pronounces his surname like "wile."  So now you have, more or less.

• Haha 1

I feel so enlightened!

:P