The Great Mouse Detective

Artemis

He's British, in case there was any confusion.  :P

britbomb_by_tophatturtle-d6tzg7b.png

"During the first week of July, my friend had been absent so often and so long from our lodgings that I knew he had something on hand. The fact that several rough-looking men called during that time and inquired for Captain Basil made me understand that Holmes was working somewhere under one of the numerous disguises and names with which he concealed his own formidable identity."

- The Adventure of Black Peter

http://sherlockholmesian.tumblr.com/post/53690741476/during-the-first-week-of-july-my-friend-had-been

tumblr_inline_mouzfk3yVa1qz4rgp.jpg

OMG, and here I always thought he was named after Basil Rathbone! :smile:

That one of Basil in the sheet ... :lol5: The expression is perfect.

• Like 1

The one on the right, which version is that from?

Guy Ritchie's ("Game of Shadows").  :smile:

• Like 1

Which one is the mouse detective? :P

It's so hard to tell, isn't it? :P

OMG, and here I always thought he was named after Basil Rathbone! :smile:

I think he was, officially; but the author may have had both things in mind when she chose the name.  :smile:

Wait.. the one in sheet is done as tribute to BBC one right? Not before?

I like the one with John and Sherlock behind.

And did you make the reference yourself of they are somewhere in internet?

Because in a way, you are eligible to be The Most Obsessed of The Week, the punishment price is the moderator(s) would sing for you. :)

• Like 3

Right.  :smile:

Every picture I've posted is something I've found on the internet, they're not mine; but some of the references I have put together myself with combinations of pictures I've found, if that's what you mean.

The great mouse detective drinking game

Drink every time:

- basil says ‘depraved’ or 'depravity’

- someone pronounces 'flaversham’ incorrectly

- you see too much of Ratigan’s eyeballs

- something so creepy and horrible happens that you know children were scarred for life

- someone behaves inappropriately for a children’s movie; smoking, drinking, gambling, sexy dancing etc

http://widdle.tumblr.com/post/48115451932/the-great-mouse-detective-drinking-game

anigif_original-grid-image-9249-14388009

• Like 1

tumblr_m9qowjWad61rf9vu6o1_540.png

What her surname is:

- Flaversham.

What Basil thinks it is:

- Flamhammer!

- Flamchester!

- Flangerhanger!

http://thegreatestmousedetective-blog.tumblr.com/post/30818372741/what-her-surname-is-flaversham-what-basil

• Like 1

Day 234: The Great Mouse Detective (1986)

The Great Mouse Detective has been one of my favorite movies for nearly my entire life. Literally. The movie was released just two days after I was born and was on constant repeat throughout my entire childhood. But what I didn’t know then is just how important the film was to the future of the Disney animations that we’d come to know or how uncannily it would predict the current state of Sherlock today.

tumblr_inline_naq9ogNj631qjj500.jpg

In 1986 Disney Animation was very much on the rocks. After the failure of the MASSIVELY budgeted Dark Crystal, Disney was beginning to question the leadership and direction of its animation division. In fact in an effort to SALVAGE the Dark Crystal before it’s release they pulled a large number of directors and animators off of production for the Great Mouse Detective and threw them into the flailing project and cut GMD’s budget by more than half. Unfazed, John Musker and Ron Clements powered on and committed themselves to making the film a success.

tumblr_inline_naq9l3Fa5Z1qjj500.jpg

It was, thanks in large part to it’s clever storyline, fun vocal performances, and a more zany, looney tunes-esque tone than their several previous projects. It also was HUGELY innovative with it’s use of computer animation for the first time in a Disney film making for what at the time was an astonishing chase scene through Big Ben. The success and quality of this film really set the stage for the Disney renaissance with its producers and directors going on to make such films as Aladdin and The Little Mermaid. If it weren’t for this little movie that we all seem to forget some of the all time classics may never have been made.

[image]

As a child I had no real knowledge of Sherlock Holmes. I’d never read any of the books and it obviously predated the Sherlock FRENZY of the past decade. But what blows me away about The Great Mouse Detective today is just how damn close it is to the modern portrayals of Sherlock we all know and love today. I understand that they all come from similar source material but I DARE you to watch this movie with its slender manic-depressive protagonist and not instantly be reminded of Cumberbatch’s more high-energy moments. When Basil truly gets riled up you could drop the dialogue from any part of this film into one of Moffat’s scripts and no one would spot the difference. Also I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to see CumberLocke have a full episode interaction with a child. That crap would be hillarious.

tumblr_inline_naq9qf4uH11qjj500.jpg

Even DAWSON (The film’s variation on Watson) is eerily close to Freeman’s Watson in several places; particularly the Rube Goldberg machine scene where Sherlock is in despair and the kindly doctor has to be his forceful cheerleader. AND ALL THIS 25 YEARS BEFORE THE MODERN RETELLINGS! And I highly doubt the Great Mouse Detective was part of either actor’s source material.

tumblr_inline_naq9rmqhDJ1qjj500.jpg

Lets be honest here even the story sounds like something out of a Moffat script for Doctor Who. An unknown brilliant antagonist and his creature henchmen stage a series of kidnappings and odd robberies in order to build an animatronic replacement for the Queen of England and usurp the throne. I bet he’d even include the long pneumatic cable, hinges for the jaw, and sudden onset parkinsons. Again, I know this is all from the same tradition that is Sherlock Holmes so similarities are inevitable and necessary but The Great Mouse Detective serves as an amazing, zany, and entertaining glimpse into what that universe of storytelling would one day unleash.

tumblr_inline_naq9sygdnQ1qjj500.jpg

The Great Mouse Detective is a quick little film at only 74 minutes and well worth every second. It’s available for streaming on Netflix.

-Andrew

http://siblingcinema.tumblr.com/post/95490717849/day-234-the-great-mouse-detective-1986

• Like 2