Question for fans of ACD Holmes or other adaptations

In BBC Sherlock, John Watson seems to be kidnapped -- or else tricked into going somewhere he wouldn't otherwise choose to go -- on an average of once per episode.  For example:

Blind Banker:  John is physically attacked on his own doorstep and taken to the Tong's hideout.

Scandal:  Irene fools John into meeting with her, letting him think he's being taken to Mycroft.

Empty Hearse:  John is drugged and put into a bonfire.

So here's my question:  Do you know of any examples of this sort of thing in Doyle's original stories?  Or in other adaptations?  Or do you have any idea why it's so prevalent in BBC Sherlock?

10 hours ago, besleybean said:

But a lot of random individuals are kidnapped in The Great Game...

John is not alone!

True.  (Though I doubt that's much consolation to him!)

On 2/27/2021 at 4:26 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

In BBC Sherlock, John Watson seems to be kidnapped -- or else tricked into going somewhere he wouldn't otherwise choose to go -- on an average of once per episode.  For example:

Blind Banker:  John is physically attacked on his own doorstep and taken to the Tong's hideout.

Scandal:  Irene fools John into meeting with her, letting him think he's being taken to Mycroft.

Empty Hearse:  John is drugged and put into a bonfire.

So here's my question:  Do you know of any examples of this sort of thing in Doyle's original stories?  Or in other adaptations?  Or do you have any idea why it's so prevalent in BBC Sherlock?

Hello Carol,

In The Final Problem, when Holmes and Watson are out walking, a messenger arrived saying that there was a sick English woman back at the hotel needing Watson’s attention. This was actually a ruse by Moriarty to get Holmes alone. It was also used in one of the Rathbone/Bruce movies though I can’t recall which one (which is annoying) Watson is called away by a false message so that Moriarty can visit 221B.

I can’t think of any other examples but there was the movie The Seven Per Cent Solution where it’s Holmes who’s called away under false pretences.

Thanks, Herlock!  I'd guess that if you can think of only a few instances, then it's not at all common, either in canon or in other adaptations.  Therefore it would seem to be a Moftiss cliche, a plot device analogous to all those Lone Ranger episodes where Tonto rides into town and is captured by the bad guys, who leave him tied up in a shed full of dynamite or the like.

On 3/2/2021 at 6:47 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Thanks, Herlock!  I'd guess that if you can think of only a few instances, then it's not at all common, either in canon or in other adaptations.  Therefore it would seem to be a Moftiss cliche, a plot device analogous to all those Lone Ranger episodes where Tonto rides into town and is captured by the bad guys, who leave him tied up in a shed full of dynamite or the like.

Sounds like every episode of the A-Team.😀

• Haha 1