Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Fox, I think you may remembering something I proposed for the eventuality that Una Stubbs wants to retire --

 

Conan Doyle did refer to Holmes' landlady once as Mrs Turner, so Moftiss have used that name for the landlady of the house next door (referred to once in "Study in Pink," and has left several comments on John's blog).  I proposed that if Mrs. Hudson ever wants to retire, she could sell the house to Mrs. Turner.

 

Posted

In "The Final Problem", Watson writes about Holmes, who expects to die soon: "for all his watchfulness he was never depressed. On the contrary, I can never recollect having seen him in such exuberant spirits."

 

In The Reichenbach Fall, Molly points out that Sherlock is like her father, who "when he was dying, he was always cheerful, he was lovely." Of course "except when he thought no one could see". And in the original, there was no Molly around to see. I've always found the last note from Holmes pretty callous and his behavior in the whole story somewhat strange, but if you interpret that Molly's way, it begins to make some sense...

Posted

In "The Final Problem", Watson writes about Holmes, who expects to die soon: "for all his watchfulness he was never depressed. On the contrary, I can never recollect having seen him in such exuberant spirits."

 

In The Reichenbach Fall, Molly points out that Sherlock is like her father, who "when he was dying, he was always cheerful, he was lovely." Of course "except when he thought no one could see". And in the original, there was no Molly around to see.

 

Oh -- nice connection!

 

I've always found the last note from Holmes pretty callous and his behavior in the whole story somewhat strange, but if you interpret that Molly's way, it begins to make some sense...

 

Pretty cavalier, right -- sort of "have a nice life!"  Actually, Sherlock showed more consideration for John's feelings in his "note" than Holmes did for Watson's -- though that may be more of a modern vs. stiff-upper-lip Victorian difference.

 

Posted

Pretty cavalier, right -- sort of "have a nice life!"  Actually, Sherlock showed more consideration for John's feelings in his "note" than Holmes did for Watson's -- though that may be more of a modern vs. stiff-upper-lip Victorian difference.

 

Yes, I think it's that. There certainly wasn't much left of the original wording of Holmes' goodbye letter in that phone call. The context was different, too. In the original, Holmes' reputation was only threatened after he was already (presumed) dead, forcing Watson to publish his side of the story.

 

I don't think Doyle really meant to infer anywhere that Holmes wasn't as sincerely resigned to purchasing Moriarty's destruction at the price of his own life as he seemed. Doyle wanted to get rid of the character and I think he tried to convince his readers that it was for the best that way. I just hate the story the way it was originally written, and I really like this modern interpretation, voiced through dear Molly, and that it would actually make sense for the original, too, even if it maybe wasn't intended.

 

As for showing consideration, I don't know about that. There isn't much in either version, in my opinion. Do you think Sherlock Holmes even understands what "consideration" means?

 

Posted

I just went back to "The Final Problem" to get the actual wording that I was referring to -- and it isn't nearly as "cavalier" as I recalled.  So I retract my entire post above!
 
While watching "Great Game," I noticed another canon paraphrase (from Ariane DeVere's transcript):

 

JOHN: The Hickman’s contemporary art, isn’t it? Why have they got hold of an Old Master?
SHERLOCK: Dunno. Dangerous to jump to conclusions. Need data.

 

... which is the same idea (if more casually worded) as Holmes' variously-phrased original (from WikiQuote):

 

 It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment.  (A Study in Scarlet)

 

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.  ("A Scandal in Bohemia")

 

It is a capital mistake to theorise in advance of the facts.  ("The Second Stain") 

.

Posted

 

Really lol? Is that canon?

Yep. Says so in A Sign of the Four

 

- "DAMN IT!" I exclaimed as the chip and pin machine refused my card for the second time. I was all too aware that one more time and my card would be locked and to save the bother of going to the bank, I merely shouted at the machine and flounced from the market stall, giving the dear woman serving me quite a fright.

I hailed a cab and proceeded to my newly acquired residence where I informed Hoilmes that I shouted at a chip and pin machine in the market. Holmes, being the ever peculiar man that he is, tenderly stroked is violin, smirked, and told me to use his card." - Wordsworth Classics, page 15.

 

I may be missing something, but are you serious?  This isn't canonical at all.  I mean it's not in the ACD canon.  Yes, BBC's SHERLOCK, of course, but not ACD.  I mean, think about it, Victorian age!

 

I'm new here, and I'm sorry to make one of my first posts controversial.  Maybe I just don't understand something.

Posted

 The Victorian version of the "pin and chip" machine was used as a pass card for getting into high security places or for buying consumable alcohol. So apparently Watson was trying to restock his wet bar in the original story.  You had a card that was punched then you had to sign the card. It was also a brand name adopted by English banks.

 

  This is all I could find out on the internet. So it is canon, especially since it this conversation between Holmes and Watson took place in a story written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle first before "The Blind Banker".

Posted

Can you tell me which story? I thought I had finally read them all, but I don't remember this scene.

Posted

And yet another reference! Thanks, Pamela, for pointing me to "The Thor Bridge", where I found this:

 

"Among these unfinished tales is that of Mr. James Phillimore, who, stepping back into his own house to get his umbrella, was never more seen in this world."

 

Wasn't "Phillimore" the name of one of the victims in A Study in Pink?

Posted

And yet another reference! Thanks, Pamela, for pointing me to "The Thor Bridge", where I found this:

 

"Among these unfinished tales is that of Mr. James Phillimore, who, stepping back into his own house to get his umbrella, was never more seen in this world."

 

Wasn't "Phillimore" the name of one of the victims in A Study in Pink?

Yes, Moftiss mentioned that in the DVD commentary (it was a "treat" for us Sherlockians ;)).

Posted

There has been an abundance of such treats, hasn't there? I hope they keep it up, it makes both viewing and reading so much more fun.

Posted

Really lol? Is that canon?

Yep. Says so in A Sign of the Four

 

- "DAMN IT!" I exclaimed as the chip and pin machine refused my card for the second time. I was all too aware that one more time and my card would be locked and to save the bother of going to the bank, I merely shouted at the machine and flounced from the market stall, giving the dear woman serving me quite a fright.

I hailed a cab and proceeded to my newly acquired residence where I informed Hoilmes that I shouted at a chip and pin machine in the market. Holmes, being the ever peculiar man that he is, tenderly stroked is violin, smirked, and told me to use his card." - Wordsworth Classics, page 15.

 

I may be missing something, but are you serious?  This isn't canonical at all.  I mean it's not in the ACD canon.  Yes, BBC's SHERLOCK, of course, but not ACD.  I mean, think about it, Victorian age!

 

I'm new here, and I'm sorry to make one of my first posts controversial.  Maybe I just don't understand something.

 

 

I believe that's a parody -- a tongue-in-cheek rewrite of the scene in "Blind Banker" a la Conan Doyle.  Sort of.

 

At least, I hope that's what it is, because it strikes me as hilarious.  :D

Posted

It really is a wonderful scene.  When I re-watch the six episodes, I usually skip The Blind Banker.  I should re-watch it.  There are some good parts, such as this one, and John yelling into the girl's letterbox for Sherlock to let him in while the bad guy is fighting him.  Then Sherlock comes out and can barely talk.  :P

Posted

Tip:  When you watch "Blind Banker," just ignore the attempted plot, and focus on the individual scenes.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Tip:  When you watch "Blind Banker," just ignore the attempted plot, and focus on the individual scenes.

Great idea!

Posted

 

Tip:  When you watch "Blind Banker," just ignore the attempted plot, and focus on the individual scenes.

Great idea!

 

That poor episode... I really like it. And I still think it's the one that feels closest to Conan Doyle's world - with all it's pros and cons.

 

Posted

I've now plowed my way through the thread, and now my challenge is to come up with something y'all haven't covered!  Good job!  I'm sure between now and January 19th (yes, I have to wait until then since I'm here in the US) I'll be re-watching all six, and I'll be scanning very carefully with pad in hand and I'll see what I can come up with.

Posted

... between now and January 19th (yes, I have to wait until then since I'm here in the US) I'll be re-watching all six,,,,

 

You've got lots of company!

 

Posted

Tip:  When you watch "Blind Banker," just ignore the attempted plot, and focus on the individual scenes.

Great idea!

 

That poor episode... I really like it. And I still think it's the one that feels closest to Conan Doyle's world - with all it's pros and cons.

Well, considering that you also said this, T.o.b.y ...

 

Frankly, I think Doyle was a horrible writer who just somehow stumbled on this one remarkable character (or rather this remarkable duo).

... I don't think we're all that far from agreement.  On the whole, I think "Blind Banker" is very nicely written -- if only it had a plot!

 

Posted

Well, considering that you also said this, T.o.b.y ...

 

Frankly, I think Doyle was a horrible writer who just somehow stumbled on this one remarkable character (or rather this remarkable duo).

... I don't think we're all that far from agreement.  On the whole, I think "Blind Banker" is very nicely written -- if only it had a plot!

 

 

Very good point, Carol. Very good point, indeed. I find what I perceive as Doyle's literary shortcomings for the most part quite lovable. In general, I think "Sherlock" as a TV show is superior in quality to the Holmes mysteries as short stories or novels. But whenever there's anything in it that feels a bit silly, inconsistent or unrealistic, I often go "awww, that's just like the original..."

 

 

did Conan Doyle's Watson start taking Holmes almost for granted in later cases, and more recent writers are simply reflecting that change?

 

Not at all. Take this bit from "The Empty House" (which I think counts as a later case, doesn't it?):

 

" “Good heavens!” I cried. “It is marvellous.”

“I trust that age doth not wither nor custom stale my infinite variety,” said he "

 

(I love Holmes quoting Shakespeare here, comparing himself jokingly to Cleopatra. Wish they would let Sherlock do that some day.)

 

Watson does start to be less amazed by Holmes' deductions about clients than those people themselves. He is often able to follow the detective's train of thought and feel amused at the clients' astonishment.

Posted

 Watson grew, and unlike so many tv versions of Watson, he was no dummy and in at least one of the later stories, he is able to make competent deductions himself using Holmes' methods.

Posted

On re-viewing Study in Pink, I believe I've found a few that haven't been mentioned here:

 

- When John meets Mike Stamford and they're sitting on the bench, John's cup has "Criterion" on it, which is a nod to the Criterion Bar in which they met in the canon.

 

- I can't remember anyone mentioning the "Afghanistan or Iraq?"  remark ("You've been in Afghanistan, I perceive").

 

- When Sherlock is showing John the flat for the first time and he's making an attempt to clean up, he pierces some papers into the mantelpiece with a jackknife.

 

- Lauriston Gardens is straight from the canon, the scene of the crime.

 

- The text Sherlock sent to John while he was being confronted by Mycroft - "Come at once if convenient ..." and then a few beats later, "if inconvenient, come anyway."

 

- The three-patch (three-pipe) problem.

 

- I've heard that the cabbie's name is supposed to be Jeff Hope (the bad guy's name in Study in Scarlet is Jefferson Hope), but I can't recall hearing that in the episode.  

 

- Canonically speaking, there's great confusion about Watson's wound(s).  Moftiss dealt with that so cleverly!  His leg wound was psychosomatic, but in the end we find out that yes, he was shot in the shoulder.  For those who don't know the canon, Doyle moved Watson's wound from his leg to his shoulder and back.  :lol:

 

Not everything is from Study in Scarlet.  As previously noted, Moftiss et all dropped in what seemed to fit, and haven't they been doing it all wonderfully?!

  • Like 1
Posted

There is a lot of canon from "The Sign of Four". Such as Sherlock deducing John's phone. In the canon it is a gold pocket watch of Watson's handed down through the family.

Posted

Sign of Four seems to be a Moftiss favorite -- as you pointed out, they've used a lot of lines from it here and there -- also, they used a good deal of the plot for "Blind Banker" -- and now they're using the title (sort of).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.