The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (TV Series)

Convict13

Has anyone else watched these any of this TV Series?  I picked up Volumes 1-3 a while back, for less than $AU2.00 ea.  I've watched two episodes so far and Ronald Howard's Sherlock is a very jolly one indeed.  I think they were actually produced in the USA and during the 1950's.  

I don't recognise the name...

I was raised on Jeremy Brett TV 

and Basil Rathbone film.

I've also seen the Seven Per Cent solution.

Before my time! :) (And I don't often get to say that!) But I note that you can watch it online. Watched a few minutes, it was fun!

I'm amazed that I don't recall ever seeing this show, since my father was something of a Holmes buff -- but I see that it was shown in syndication, so possibly neither of our local channels (I believe we had just two then) picked it up.

I had run across this recently on IMDb, though -- I remember noticing it because Lestrade was played by Archie Duncan ("Little John" from the Richard Greene Robin Hood series), which seems like odd casting to me (he's certainly not a little rat-faced man!).

Could you post a link to the videos, Arcadia?

I have come across them on YouTube, but never watched them. I do prefer it when they are faithful to the original stories, but I might give them a watch. 

Thanks, Arcadia!

And just going by one of the brief descriptions I saw, Rani, they seem to have started off the series with "A Study in Scarlet," which is a hopeful sign.

And just going by one of the brief descriptions I saw, Rani, they seem to have started off the series with "A Study in Scarlet," which is a hopeful sign.

I've just been looking online and it seems that most episodes are non-Canonical. The first episode is called, 'The Case of the Cunningham Heritage', which is loosely based on 'A Study in Scarlet' in that it shows you when Holmes and Watson were first introduced, which I'd love to watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes_(1954_TV_series)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046642/

• Like 1

So -- apparently just the intro from "Study," without the casework?  Too bad -- but maybe they couldn't figure out how to avoid that interminable backstory.

Oh, right -- the copyrights would have been a major issue back in the 50's (and still are here in the US, for a few of the later stories).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with Ronald Howard, as the one I watched first was Jeremy.