A Collector’s Lot

I absolutely bloody give up with technology. I’m seriously considering getting rid of my iPad and forgetting computers completely. When I uploaded the above the photograph actually appeared but it’s not there when I clicked submit reply! I’ve tried absolutely everything but I just can’t see why the picture won’t appear. It worked before so why not now. On my phone i can at least click,on it and the photo appears but not on here. 

‘Why does everyone else on the planet find it so easy to upload a photograph but for me it’s like splitting the atom!!

ive really had enough!

Hey, I never said it was easy for me!  (That's only the fourteen-year-olds.)

I'm getting two links, first to a web page with a photo on it, and second directly to the photo image.  Looks to be an autograph.  This is on my phone, don't have an iPad.

It's a bit nicer if the photo itself shows up in the post, but some people have trouble seeing those, so perhaps the links are more reliable.  Don't give up now, Herlock -- we're looking forward to your London excursion!

• Thanks 1

Cheers Carol. I just don’t see how I’m doing anything differently. The image came up before but now it’s only a link. Weird.

Well would you believe it? 

The photograph has now appeared. It’s my latest acquisition by the way, Robert Stephens autograph.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Well would you believe it? 

The photograph has now appeared.

That happens.  In fact, it's been happening for quite some time, even prior to the new software.  I've never understood it, still don't.  I just cope with it.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, don't feel singled out, Herlock. I swear I do the exact same thing every time I post an image or a video … yet sometimes I get a link, and sometimes I get an image. And sometimes I go back later and it's switched from one to the other. And sometimes other people see an image but I only see a link. Etc., ad nauseum. And as Carol says, that's even before the new software came along. So I just blame gremlins and stumble on to the next thing. (But it IS frustrating, dang it! :smile: )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Yeah, don't feel singled out, Herlock. I swear I do the exact same thing every time I post an image or a video … yet sometimes I get a link, and sometimes I get an image. And sometimes I go back later and it's switched from one to the other. And sometimes other people see an image but I only see a link. Etc., ad nauseum. And as Carol says, that's even before the new software came along. So I just blame gremlins and stumble on to the next thing. (But it IS frustrating, dang it! :smile: )

Thanks Arcadia,

Being the world’s least patient person doesn’t help.😤

I tend to do stuff online but without really paying attention so that on that rare occasion when something actually works I’m so elated that I forget how I actually did it. And so the next time.....

I might have to take up yoga.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

That happens.  In fact, it's been happening for quite some time, even prior to the new software.  I've never understood it, still don't.  I just cope with it.

Cheers Carol,

At least I know that, for once, it’s not me.👍

1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Thanks Arcadia,

Being the world’s least patient person doesn’t help.😤

I tend to do stuff online but without really paying attention so that on that rare occasion when something actually works I’m so elated that I forget how I actually did it. And so the next time.....

I might have to take up yoga.

Just from observing my friends' woes, I do think everything is easier to do on a computer than on an iPad or phone. Once you learn how to use it, of course. :D  These friends look at my laptop like it's a creature from the black lagoon. Fair enough, since that's the same way I look at their gadgets. :P 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

At least I know that, for once, it’s not me.👍

Well, it could be you.  But at least it's not just you.  You've got company!

• Thanks 1

The problem is that I’ve never taken the time time to learn much about computers. I’ve learned to do certain things without the slightest understanding of how I’ve done them so I’m pretty much operating on auto-pilot. Then when something goes wrong....

Welcome to the club!  Being a former software engineer (from the days when a small computer was only the size of a refrigerator), I do have some general idea of what's probably going on in there -- but often I haven't a clue how to get at it.  And half the time when I do learn how, the next rev wants me to do something entirely different.  And of course nobody seems to write manuals any more.  :angry:

Agreed. I still miss Windows 3.1, because I understood how it worked and could use the manual to fix things. And it did everything I needed it to do, at a reasonable speed! The version I have now, I have no clue what's going on. If Control+Alt+Delete doesn't work, I'm toast.

At any rate, the only things I know how to do are from having done them before. Every once in a while a nephew will show me how to do something new, and it's like the sun coming out. :D 

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I still miss Windows 3.1, because I understood how it worked and could use the manual to fix things. And it did everything I needed it to do, at a reasonable speed!

I was just reading an article the other day about why even though the internet keeps getting faster, it keeps taking longer for pages to load.  I'd been assuming it was because the pages keep getting more ornate, and that's probably part of it -- but apparently the main reason is behind-the-scenes stuff that we never see, and that doesn't do us any good whatsoever.  :blowmytop:

Huh. Pages definitely load faster than they used to on my end. Of course, I have a much better connection than I used to, so I might be comparing apples and oranges. Even videos work fine for me now, I used to get lots of buffering.

Is the type of device you use a factor, I wonder? It seems to me, watching other people work with them, that iPads and some phones are noticeably slower. I have one friend with a really top of the line phone, though, and everything seems instantaneous on that thing. Of course, being a younger person, she really knows how to use it too. ;) 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 10:39 AM, HerlockSholmes said:

DSC_0163.jpg

Blood hell. How did I do that? 

What would Sherlock say about this handwriting, I wonder?

Knowing what I know about Mr. Stephens, I'd say this penmanship demonstrates a flamboyant yet potentially emotionally fragile individual.  The R and the S are very large, pointing to a healthy ego.  Look how far the 't' in his last name bends to the right in lieu of being crossed . . very different than the t that ends 'Robert'.  Mostly this looks like a man in a hurry, but how many hundreds of these did he sign that day?  Quite a score; do you have a Colin Blakely, too?  :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hikari said:

What would Sherlock say about this handwriting, I wonder?

Knowing what I know about Mr. Stephens, I'd say this penmanship demonstrates a flamboyant yet potentially emotionally fragile individual.  The R and the S are very large, pointing to a healthy ego.  Look how far the 't' in his last name bends to the right in lieu of being crossed . . very different than the t that ends 'Robert'.  Mostly this looks like a man in a hurry, but how many hundreds of these did he sign that day?  Quite a score; do you have a Colin Blakely, too?  :)

No Colin Blakey yet Hikari. I’ve got 2 Watson’s, 1 Mycroft, 6 Holmes and a Dame Jean so far.

If you and the rest of the Forum want to have collection you can all by me a letter written by Conan Doyle thats currently for sale at only £1700. Whats that.......around $2200. Well worth it👍😃

• Confused 1
  • Tongue 1

20 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

No Colin Blakey yet Hikari. I’ve got 2 Watson’s, 1 Mycroft, 6 Holmes and a Dame Jean so far.

If you and the rest of the Forum want to have collection you can all by me a letter written by Conan Doyle thats currently for sale at only £1700. Whats that.......around $2200. Well worth it👍😃

If you say so, mon frere.  1700 pounds would get you a really good time in London, or alternatively, you could fly to the States and visit all your American friends.  I realize the cachet for you of anything touched by ACD but at the end of the day it's just a moldy piece of paper.  For that amount of money you could do an Arthur tour around the UK AND a photo op with Benedict Cumberbatch haha.

• Like 2

True of course.

Im determined to get one one day though. I know....it’s sad.☹️

Peter Cushing And Christopher Lee are my next targets I think. Followed by Rathbone and Bruce. Although there was a Clive Brook on offer for £30.🙂

Just curious … why in that order? I'd go straight for the Rathbone, myself. :smile: Although I admit my favorite Rathbone movie isn't even a Holmes movie … it's the Court Jester. (Get it? Got it. Good.)

On 10/3/2018 at 10:47 PM, Arcadia said:

Just curious … why in that order? I'd go straight for the Rathbone, myself. :smile: Although I admit my favorite Rathbone movie isn't even a Holmes movie … it's the Court Jester. (Get it? Got it. Good.)

Hello Arcadia, my apologies for missing your last post. To be honest the only reason for holding back on Rathbone and Bruce is the prices. The cheapest Rathbone on eBay at the moment is around £180 but most are  £300+. 

Nigel Bruce prices are insane at the moment. The cheapest being £300+. Some are well over £1000.

Most Peter Cushing are pretty expensive but there’s one on there that’s £20 which I’m tempted to get right now🙂

‘I haven’t seen The Court Jester by the way.

• Sad 1

Pre-print? Me not know that term.

We watch The Court Jester every year at Christmas. I don't know why; it's not Christmassy. But my brother and I think it's the funniest thing ever filmed. :D 

• Like 1

I was puzzled because the lines you quoted sounded more like a Danny Kaye movie to me.  Upon actually looking up The Court Jester, I see that it *is* a Danny Kaye movie, but Rathbone is also in it, along with Angela Lansbury, Glynis Johns, Mildred Natwick, John Carradine, and a bunch more familiar names.

• Like 1