BBally1981

Christopher Plummer Passes Away At 91

I just found out actor Christopher Plummer who previously played Sherlock Holmes in the TV film adaptation of Silver Blaze and the acclaimed Holmes vs Jack The Ripper film Murder By Decree passed away today, he was 91.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/christopher-plummer-dies-91-sound-of-music-all-the-money-in-the-world-star-1234688379/

His more emotional and compassionate take on the character is quite different from many incarnations, definitely in my top 10 favorite Sherlock Holmes portrayals.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I think he made a good Holmes.

He's also fab in The Sound of Music!

I agree. One of those actors I’d have liked to have seen play Holmes more than he actually did.

On 2/6/2021 at 2:29 PM, HerlockSholmes said:

I agree. One of those actors I’d have liked to have seen play Holmes more than he actually did.

It might have been very interesting to see Chris play Holmes in a less lurid case.  On the whole, MbD is very well done and I liked the partner dynamic between the two gents.  Chris was a very handsome 50 here, even though Holmes was technically still in his thirties in 1888.  The character of the psychic, Robert Lees, played by Donald Sutherland is problematic.  At first, it seems that Lees looks good for the villain, due to DT's otherworldly stare and strange manner.  But when Holmes starts to actually give credence to these 'visions', that was decidedly out of character for him.  CP was so twinkly, so kind, so jovial . .it was a bit disconcerting.  He needed to inject a touch more of the Captain von Trapp into his Holmes, because his SH isn't nearly acerbic enough.   He would have been delightful in more adventures with Mr. Mason.

I took the news of his passing very hard, because it was so sudden and tragic.  He'd was still working up til the end, but apparently he suffered a fall at home and died of his injuries.  Not the way a proud man like him would have wanted to go.  A first-rate storyteller and artist who should have had an even bigger career.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 2/9/2021 at 2:44 PM, Hikari said:

It might have been very interesting to see Chris play Holmes in a less lurid case.  On the whole, MbD is very well done and I liked the partner dynamic between the two gents.  Chris was a very handsome 50 here, even though Holmes was technically still in his thirties in 1888.  The character of the psychic, Robert Lees, played by Donald Sutherland is problematic.  At first, it seems that Lees looks good for the villain, due to DT's otherworldly stare and strange manner.  But when Holmes starts to actually give credence to these 'visions', that was decidedly out of character for him.  CP was so twinkly, so kind, so jovial . .it was a bit disconcerting.  He needed to inject a touch more of the Captain von Trapp into his Holmes, because his SH isn't nearly acerbic enough.   He would have been delightful in more adventures with Mr. Mason.

I took the news of his passing very hard, because it was so sudden and tragic.  He'd was still working up til the end, but apparently he suffered a fall at home and died of his injuries.  Not the way a proud man like him would have wanted to go.  A first-rate storyteller and artist who should have had an even bigger career.

Hello Hikari,

He also played Holmes in Silver Blaze which was pretty good. I don’t know whether you’ve seen it?

17 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Hello Hikari,

He also played Holmes in Silver Blaze which was pretty good. I don’t know whether you’ve seen it?

Hi, Herl,

I didn't know Chris P. was in Silver Blaze.  I will have to see if I can find it.  Was that a full-length feature?  I enjoyed that story very much; one of the lighter-hearted ones, but I'm trying to imagine getting 90 minutes or 2 hours out of that plot.

This past weekend, I rewatched "The Sound of Music" which I had not seen for maybe 10 years.  We used to watch it every year growing up when it aired at Easter time on TV.  Maybe because I was viewing it for the first time on my high-def flatscreen TV, but the mountain scenery really popped.  I watched the opening credits sequence several times--gorgeous.

Chris was 35 and Julie was 26 years old at the time.  CP would refer to the film that made him an international superstar as 'The Sound of Mucus'.  It may be a little sappy, but it is nostalgic for me--the sounds of my childhood.  The movie soundtrack album was one of the first LPs I got on my own.  RIP, Captain.

One of the commentators on YouTube calls Maria's first encounter with the Captain as 'Hufflepuff meets Slytherin" and now I can't un-see it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hikari said:

Hi, Herl,

I didn't know Chris P. was in Silver Blaze.  I will have to see if I can find it.  Was that a full-length feature?  I enjoyed that story very much; one of the lighter-hearted ones, but I'm trying to imagine getting 90 minutes or 2 hours out of that plot.

This past weekend, I rewatched "The Sound of Music" which I had not seen for maybe 10 years.  We used to watch it every year growing up when it aired at Easter time on TV.  Maybe because I was viewing it for the first time on my high-def flatscreen TV, but the mountain scenery really popped.  I watched the opening credits sequence several times--gorgeous.

Chris was 35 and Julie was 26 years old at the time.  CP would refer to the film that made him an international superstar as 'The Sound of Mucus'.  It may be a little sappy, but it is nostalgic for me--the sounds of my childhood.  The movie soundtrack album was one of the first LPs I got on my own.  RIP, Captain.

One of the commentators on YouTube calls Maria's first encounter with the Captain as 'Hufflepuff meets Slytherin" and now I can't un-see it!

Hi Hikari, 

I haven’t seen Silver Blaze for a while but I think that it’s only on for around 30 minutes but it was pretty good. Watson was played by Thorley Walters who is fairly unique in that he played the part in 4 completely unconnected movies with 4 different actors playing Holmes.

I think that you can see it on YouTube.

• Thanks 1