Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

And Moffat and Gatiss just love trolling the "gay agenda" points of view brigade. :naughty:

Posted

Apparently the book was out well before series one hit the screens so cannot be interpreted as Fanfiction for the current series, even if it might be for the genre in general. I am going to read it and then I'll have a better appreciation. The exerpt looked okay and read well anyway. Have you considered that there is some stunning fanfiction out there and the bar is higher than it used to be for this genre. Also, there are some rubbish authors out there who have mainstream works. Overall, I have been more than impressed at the standard of fanfiction over the last year or so. It's not shame to come from that direction anyway.

Posted

The exerpt looked okay and read well anyway. Have you considered that there is some stunning fanfiction out there and the bar is higher than it used to be for this genre. Also, there are some rubbish authors out there who have mainstream works. Overall, I have been more than impressed at the standard of fanfiction over the last year or so. It's not shame to come from that direction anyway.

 

When you talk about the standard in this genre of fanfiction, do you mean in the Sherlock fandom or in general? From the fandoms I've been in the last year, I can safely say Sherlock's has the highest quality bar. Even the 'worst' stories have far better grammar, spelling and less OOCs than in other fandoms.

 

If I were studying psychology i'd definetly want to do a case study to see if there's a reason for this...

Posted

I was meaning fanfiction in general but I know what you mean about the Sherlock genre itself. I wonder about it being English, whether it encourages correct grammar useage, particularly if you are going to write for a historical setting. I have been impressed by the number of better authors out there and try to encourage the good ones to try writing their own stuff. I've got a couple of friends that write really well and I am hoping (my goal for this year) that they get published soon.

 

Trouble is, on the downside, I am also seeing an amount of US terms and mannerisms of writing that jar because they do not appear in such a setting. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind American writers, in fact some of my favourite fiction is written by them, but when you're setting a story in the UK, in Victorian England particularly, it helps to get it beta-ed by a Brit. I write for DSP and always bear in mind that there are things I would say that are particulary Brit-speak and I try to change those accordingly. It would be good to see a similar thing happening in fanfiction.

Posted (edited)

I was meaning fanfiction in general but I know what you mean about the Sherlock genre itself. I wonder about it being English, whether it encourages correct grammar useage, particularly if you are going to write for a historical setting. I have been impressed by the number of better authors out there and try to encourage the good ones to try writing their own stuff. I've got a couple of friends that write really well and I am hoping (my goal for this year) that they get published soon.

 

Trouble is, on the downside, I am also seeing an amount of US terms and mannerisms of writing that jar because they do not appear in such a setting. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind American writers, in fact some of my favourite fiction is written by them, but when you're setting a story in the UK, in Victorian England particularly, it helps to get it beta-ed by a Brit. I write for DSP and always bear in mind that there are things I would say that are particulary Brit-speak and I try to change those accordingly. It would be good to see a similar thing happening in fanfiction.

 

I didn't mean in the Sherlock Holmes fandom, but in the Sherlock one. The fics based on the books and movies have the normal number of bad, normal & good fic.

 

The good thing about being neither american or british is that you don't notice too often when something is not in Brit-speak ^^

 

Okay, point taken. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

 

?

Edited by Lirael
Posted

Pardon!!!???

And when I said "I thought I'd throw that out there", I was referring to a post I made earlier questioning JohnLocking.

And I am a total fangirl, and I don't ship JohnLock. The phrase, "fangirl", usually represents girls in love with characters, not girls who ship gay couples!!

  • 2 months later...
Posted

I actually enjoy ACD's work of relationship with them really. Even though I ship them like crazy I myself am a Asexual Pansexual. Which to most people makes 0 sense until I explain. I can fall in love with male, female, transgender, gay, lesbian, straight, bi, any religion, any creed, any race. Once I do fall in love I will do anything for the other person and place them above myself (typical for my friends as well) Then the Asexual part comes in. Sex doesn't alarm me, the act of it doesn't thrill me. I've been burned to many times to enjoy sex which is why I think I became an axsexual. Which is why ACD's relationship between them makes me very pleased that my life style might actually be possible. All I need is to find that person who accepts me for who I am and will basically be my Watson. Damaged or undamaged I don't care so long as they are as loyal to me as I am to them. The assistance I provide they can match me in another way or the same if they prefer. So I find it very alluring the way he wrote their friendship.

  • 4 months later...
Posted

UPDATE: Been following this one...finding reviews and such. Not only did "Kissing Sherlock Holmes" get a HUGELY positive review from Chris Redmond, one of the foremost Sherlockian scholars in North America (here's the link: http://www.sherlocki...ws/kissing.html ), the authors also took first place in the Historical Category of the Romance Writers of America's Passionate Plume Awards (http://www.passionat...ssionate-plume/) - NOT a small deal. That's the romance genre's equivalent of an Emmy. So no, it's not "just a fanfic that got published." It's a pastiche. There's a difference. And it would appear the publishing markets think it's a good piece of work.

Posted

Those who would find it helpful to read the first few pages of the book can do so here, at amazon.co.uk.

 

(The sample does indeed include that first kiss -- but ends almost immediately thereafter.)

  • 1 year later...
Posted

I put in 'Sherlolly' .......there's quite a few saucy ones!!! I thought this was sweet.......
 

 
8985965-256-k719220.jpg

  • 7 months later...
Posted

Going by the thread title, if I were to take that literally, I'd snog the heck out of Jeremy Brett while dressed like Holmes. Him dressed like Holmes, not me..!

 

Ahem.

 

:blush:

Posted

You could always play The Woman to his Holmes sadly only in your imagination.

I know..... *sigh*

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 120 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.