Episode 1.1, "A Study In Pink"

Undead Medic

What did you think of "A Study In Pink?"  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your Vote here:

• 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

• 5 months later...

The screenwriters ingeniously adapted the classic ACD plot to our realities. But it is a wise move that the plot does not exactly repeat the book, but only hints at it, otherwise the watching would be banal and uninteresting.
Sherlock has a pronounced personality, a charisma. At the first meeting, all this falls on John and he stands stunned by it all. But in fact it's a joy. A game is on! His life will never be as boring as it was this morning.
The distinctive traits of Sherlock's character that I want to list here, because they will disappear in series 3 and 4: a coldness, a restraint, a selfishness (because the genius thinks that everyone should obey his talent), a selfishness bordering on an immorality.
Deductions scenes are great. Benedict very accurately portrays an inspiration embracing a genius.
In this topic, the participants wrote that they would not like to meet such a person in their life. As for me I do miss such friends as Sherlock in my life.
I had a few questions about the plot. Sherlock suggests that it is statistically more likely that the murderer is a man. But what if the murderer was a woman and could safely walk down the street with a pink suitcase? The second question is: why didn't Sherlock, an enthusiastic chemist, then examine his pill under a microscope to find out whether he was right or wrong in his choice?

Who knows that he didn't?!

Anyhow:

I actually like the back story of Study in Scarlet...

but it would have made for a very long episode!

5 hours ago, Ioanna said:

Sherlock suggests that it is statistically more likely that the murderer is a man. But what if the murderer was a woman and could safely walk down the street with a pink suitcase?

He merely meant that, according to statistics, more murders are committed by men than by women.  I don't think he was ruling out the possibility of a female murderer, just continuing to explore possible scenarios with a male murderer.  Finding the pink suitcase discarded in the trash made that possibility stronger.

5 hours ago, Ioanna said:

why didn't Sherlock, an enthusiastic chemist, then examine his pill under a microscope to find out whether he was right or wrong in his choice?

As Bev says, maybe he did and they just didn't show it.  That scene would have taken place either back in their flat or in the Bart's Hospital laboratories, where he could use the necessary equipment and supplies, but the episode stopped just as he and John were leaving the scene of the crime.

4 hours ago, besleybean said:

I actually like the back story of Study in Scarlet...

but it would have made for a very long episode!

Oh, right, the long American interlude in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original story.  That could have made another full episode by itself -- without Sherlock (or John), but that would have been kind of hard to justify to the BBC, considering the name of the show.   ;)

4 minutes ago, besleybean said:

...or even the main character, which is why everyone changes Hound.

Sorry, Bev, I'm not following you.  Could you post a somewhat longer version of your point?

Sorry, hardly slept!

Sherlock Holmes hardly appears in Hound of the Baskervilles.

Nobody films it that way.

• Thanks 1