Benedict can't say "penguins"?

sfmpco

Not a standard British pronunciation according to Oxford Dictionaries.  But it sounds like the sort of thing that could be a regionalism.  Or just a personal quirk.

I finally remembered what that pronunciation reminds me of.  I was once baffled by a neighbor's statement that he'd seen three herrings in his pond (aren't herrings salt-water fish?) until I realized that he meant herons.

I suspect that both cases might be attributable to overcorrection -- we've all been told not to leave the "g" off of "-ing" words, so we may sometimes reflexively append a final "g" onto a word that doesn't actually have one.

• 4 weeks later...

Gonna have to wait until - ahem - someone posts it on YouT(censored).

• Like 2

There are clips on BBC of tonight's episode.  It includes the penguin thing.

• Like 1

They discuss this very subject on Graham Norton this week,   very funny indeed.

This is so completely awesome!  Was he a good sport about it?  It's totally adorable that he messes it up numerous ways.  pengwings.. penglings... lol

Yes he is, slightly embarrassed, but is laughing.

• Like 1

I found it.  :)  Thanks for the info.  That was totally awesome.   I laughed, I cried...

You're welcome.  I laughed and cried to.

Also loved his photobombing of his wax figure and his flatfooted attempt as popstar walking.

• Like 1

And for anyone who will not be hunting down the Graham Norton clip for any reason, Benedict can now say penguin properly.  :)

• Like 2

The entire episode is already up you didn'tDailymotionhear it from me. :whistle:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just got home from seeing Penguins of Madagascar. Laughed so hard my face is still hurting, the script is brilliant.

And guess what -- you-know-who still can't say penguins. It was clearly pengwings. Both times.

• Like 3

Just got home from seeing Penguins of Madagascar. Laughed so hard my face is still hurting, the script is brilliant.

And guess what -- you-know-who still can't say penguins. It was clearly pengwings. Both times.

At least no penglings?  ;)

:lol: I thought he wanted to call Disney and make them check he said it correctly. Nice that he didn't :D

btw, I just found out that those baskets that my family has always used for trips to the supermarket since I was a child aren't called "Körber" (like a word derived from German "Korb/Körbe" = "basket/baskets"), but "Curver". That really shocks me, they've always been "Körber" for me. And they'll probably stay Körbers, just as penguins will always be penwings for Benedict  ^_^

• Like 1

Y'all can check the pronunciation for yourselves in the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q75gwePUlh0

Sounds to me like he says "penguins," but then I'm just using cheap headphones, not big honkin' theater speakers.

I'm on my phone and listened to it 3 times I can see either as plausibilities. Poor Benedict. He said in an interview with Kiera Knightley that he would never live that one down.

Any reaction from the audience when the wolf said "pengwings"?

Well, given that my friend and I were the only people in the theater ... yes!
  • Like 2

Sounds to me like he says "penguins," but then I'm just using cheap headphones, not big honkin' theater speakers.

I meant the other two times. :P