DVD/Blu-Ray Extras for Series 3

BLS_Pro

As I understand the term it sounds fairly accurate, but I still like "best friends." I know, I know, I'm such a stick-in-the-mud.

• Like 1

... most of the relationships on this show defy an easy description, and that's part of what makes it fun. Regarding Sherlock and John, I almost think that the closest they ever came to describing the relationship correctly was "best man," but that's not something that lends itself to easy use.

I've read a fanfiction in which John mentions that his sister referred to him and Sherlock as 'hetero life partners'. Dunno how accurate you guys think it is.  :lol2:

I've read about the concept as a TV trope http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeterosexualLifePartners.  I think it is fairly accurate here (and in House M.D., which is the one used to illustrate the TV Tropes entry and which is a Sherlock Holmes analog.)

In college (I can't remember which class), we learned about a similar idea.  At any one time, a person may have a primary person in their life.  We often assume that person to be a spouse, so we think of it in spousal terms, but there's really nothing that says your primary person has to be a romantic or sexual relationship.  It could be a parent at one point in your life.  It could be a best friend.  It could be a close cousin.  Whatever.  But this person is the person you are linked with; it's the person you maybe live with, the person you call first in an emergency, the person everyone assumes is your "plus one" at social events.  To be flip, its the person who, if you murdered someone, would be out in the back yard helping you bury the body.  I don't know what you properly call that relationship, but that's Sherlock and John.  

• Like 3

... its the person who, if you murdered someone, would be out in the back yard helping you bury the body.  I don't know what you properly call that relationship, but that's Sherlock and John.

Accomplice? :D
  • Like 1

I don't have them, but they made the scarf blue.  Heh.  :)

I like their faces too.

I was disappointed in the Big Chief action figures, especially their John, and wondered if perhaps I was expecting too much.  But whoever did this bust has done a marvelous job.  If they were sold without all that other stuff, I'd consider buying one.

Umm, if I may hijack this thread a moment to talk about the extras in the Limited Edition Box Set -- Sherlockology just posted close-up photos of the busts of Sherlock and John, and my goodness, they look really nice:

tumblr_nfahsuyYO91qkgkowo3_500.jpg

tumblr_nfahsuyYO91qkgkowo2_500.jpg

Does anyone actually have these? How tall are they? What are they made of -- do they feel fairly heavy and substantial?

I have the busts. They have some weight and stand 4-6 inches tall. They are definitely substantial for their size. Definitely not lightweight plastic and good attention to detail.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be fabulous if I had those? My fanart would get 1295873302856 times better in about two weeks and a few thousand failed attempts...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i finally got the 'should-have-been-on-the-normal-relwase-anyway' special edition of series 3.... snarking aside, i'm glad i did, the first commentary for Empty Hearse is wonderful :)

disappointed that the cover is the exact same as the standard release once you take it out the fancy slipcase though grr