If John and Sherlock parented Baby Watson at 221B

sfmpco

Yes, TOBY, but it is precisely because this scenario will never happen that makes it a bit of delightful whimsy to play with.  

It's TWO MEN AND A BABY AT BAKER STREET.

• Like 2

One cannot even go to work for one's living, and lots of lovely things go on around Ms Sheralyn Watson.

In a way, it's also Captain Butler and Bonnie.

John is away on a weekend medical congress, so Sherlock decides to take the baby to his parents' for a bit, to relax from his constant vigilance and share some of the responsibility of looking after her for a change.

Mother Holmes is delighted with the blonde baby girl but she notices that the little one is restless and fidgety, and when she looks more closely, she finds the baby struggling in her bodysuit.

"Sherlock, why are you still dressing her in a coverall for 6-9 months? She needs a bigger size now, this thing is limiting her freedom of movement."

"I, I didn't notice that? I weigh her every day and measure her every week! How is that possible?"

"Because you have always been stupid, dear brother, so stupid!" comes Mycroft's voice from the living room.

• Like 2

Yes, Sherlock visiting with his parents...

Sherlock:  Why should I take parenting advice from you?  Mycroft and I had nannies!

Mother Holmes:  You did not have nannies.  Why do you insist on telling people that?

Sherlock: It covers a lot.

• Like 4

You know, that is something I just cannot imagine. A baby at Baker St being taken care of by those two loons and their ex-exotic dancer landlady who is, for all we know, childless and has a bit of an issue with marijuana?

That is a scenario I just cannot get past the bouncers of even my crazy brain.

No, no. Mary must stay around and help John take care of their daughter until she is at least Archie's size. And if something happens to Mary sooner, then either Harry will have to get her act together and take in her niece, or the Holmes parents will have to lend a hand. Something like that.

Totally agree.  I realize this thread is just for fun, which is cool.  But I cannot permit even a thought to enter my mind of Sherlock and John trying to parent a child together on screen, not even long enough for Mary to go get a mani-pedi.  Sherlock Holmes does not do child care.  Nope.  No way.

OK, back to your regularly-scheduled cuteness and flights of fancy!  I'll be over here in the misanthrope's corner.

• Like 5

It can NEVER be on screen! That is why it is so much fun, think of it as role-playing them and using their quips and quotes and not keep yourself in a corner, much less a misanthropic one!

If I had started this thread I would have called it The Improbable meets the Impossible, as a nod to our wonderfully patient moderator, Carol.

You have all been going on about his growing up process which culminates in HLV, making him more human than ever, and showing him that he has a heart, after all, and that caring is an advantage. Having to keep his word to John and Mary, that he will always be there for them, whatever happens, does not only include killing a man but being forced to do things he would never have imagined likely before, like assuming part of the responsibility of raising his almost namesake. Even at that heart-wrenching airport scene, his one feeble attempt at humour was to talk about the baby's name. Nothing would make him more human than having to deal with an infant on a daily basis, while trying desperately to find out what happened to her mother.

P. S. Dear Arcadia, a touch of pure genius there!

• Like 2

The baby runs out of nappies. Sherlock improvises.

fLW0sWx.jpg?1

And once that's used, he rushes to John's room to grab a couple of less flattering jumpers.

• Like 2

It can NEVER be on screen! That is why it is so much fun, think of it as role-playing them and using their quips and quotes and not keep yourself in a corner, much less a misanthropic one!

OK, you're right.  Delurking from my corner....

So Sherlock puts everything in a spreadsheet.  Number of ounces of formula consumed versus baby's "output," number of hours slept, minutes it takes for baby to fall asleep under various conditions (being held, being held and walked, singing, no singing).  Most importantly, he measures all of the behavioral variables in two different experimental states: "John" and "Sherlock."  He gets inordinately pleased when the baby falls asleep 7.38% faster for him than she does for John.

• Like 6

Now that's the spirit!

Sherlock has Molly come over to watch the baby so he can go out, and when he sees how gentle and tender she is with the baby, his heart melts a bit more for her.  Just me Sherlollying, 

:wub:

• Like 4

Now that's the spirit!

Sherlock has Molly come over to watch the baby so he can go out, and when he sees how gentle and tender she is with the baby, his heart melts a bit more for her. Just me Sherlollying,

:wub:

I'll join you in that Sherlollying. Cool mental image. But then again I'm a sucker for babies in general.

Dear Boton, that's exactly what is needed! It is not cute and cuddly, it is role playing in a strange, slightly mad, slightly scary script that we can use our favourite things from the series so far in the context of caring for the baby while trying to determine her mother's ultimate fate.

Sheralyn develops a slight fever and Sherlock immediately texts Molly, who replies: I don't work with live people, I only work with cadavers.

Whereupon he starts using his charm on her, as he very well knows how, to make her come by the flat once her shift is over, because John is at work and cannot leave the practice for something so commonplace.

That is absolutely intolerable behaviour on the part of his best friend, so he texts : Could be dangerous , to make John rush to his daughter's cot side. When the experienced practitioner refuses to take the bait and texts back So?

Sherlock then wraps her up warm and takes her to Ormond Children's Hospital, where she is diagnosed with a slight cold.

When eventually John returns from work, he smugly tells his flatmate : " Sherlock, we have to be rational about this" only to be met with the huffiest possible attitude: "What does it matter, you are not in the picture any more!"

• Like 2

You know, that is something I just cannot imagine. A baby at Baker St being taken care of by those two loons and their ex-exotic dancer landlady who is, for all we know, childless and has a bit of an issue with marijuana?

I'm still dying at this. I keep rereading and laughing.

• Like 4

John coming home from work to find Sherlock re-enacting a murder scene with the baby's rubber duck as the murderer and a teddy bear as the victim.

• Like 4

John coming home from work to find Sherlock re-enacting a murder scene with the baby's rubber duck as the murderer and a teddy bear as the victim.

And in 20 years we find that she either is in intense psychotherapy or she pulls a Moriarty because of all the stuff she learned from uncle Sherlock.

• Like 2

Sherlock introduces Sheralyn to the world of Chas Addams and The Addams Family line of TV and movies.  She then becomes enamored with Wednesday Addams.

He also introduces her to userfriendly.org and the computer-nerd comic strip on there.  No way is his namesake going to be anything but super smart if he can help it.

• Like 3

It's called "My Two Dads - Sherlock Style."

Sherlock taking her to her first day of school and trying not to cry when she happily waves goodbye!

Sherlock and little Watson in his home laboratory as he teaches her all kind of interesting experiments,

Sherlock completely disapproving of any woman in John's life who might be a potential new Mrs. Watson and mother of the baby (because he's grown terribly attached to the little girl and doesn't want to share her).

John comes home to the kitchen and living room full of baby stuff laid everywhere. Upon the inquiry, Sherlock responds with:

I was telling Sheralyn about some of our cases and mapped out the city of London to scale, at least portions of it.  That stack of baby food is Shad Sanderson Bank, and the bottles on this end of the island represent the Tower of London.  Oh and you just walked through Buckingham Palace.  And right now I was explaining to her about the jump off Bart's along with the best way to do it so that one can always survive.  (As he sits on the sofa holding Sheralyn completely oblivious to the fact that she has been asleep in his arms for quite sometime.)

• Like 4

John comes home to the kitchen and living room full of baby stuff laid everywhere. Upon the inquiry, Sherlock responds with:

I was telling Sheralyn about some of our cases and mapped out the city of London to scale, at least portions of it.  That stack of baby food is Shad Sanderson Bank, and the bottles on this end of the island represent the Tower of London.  Oh and you just walked through Buckingham Palace.  And right now I was explaining to her about the jump off Bart's along with the best way to do it so that one can always survive.  (As he sits on the sofa holding Sheralyn completely oblivious to the fact that she has been asleep in his arms for quite sometime.)

I feel a collective "Awwwww!" coming on.   :wub:  :inlove:

• Like 3