Not getting Quote Notifications

SherlockedCAMPer

Today I noticed that I did not get a notification that someone quoted me.  I should have received notification around 6pm central time (Midnight GMT) that one of my posts had been quoted.  I thought it was working earlier in the day (I know it was working yesterday) and have never had the problem before.  I have not changed any settings since I set up my profile to notify me of all quotes and likes for my posts.  And there have been no error codes/messages.  Bendydoodle noticed the same problem when I quoted her shortly after I noticed my problem.  I'll let her add anything that might have been unique to her.

• Like 3

For me, it started about a few days ago -- four, maybe five. Or maybe longer, too -- some threads I don't go back to all that often.

• Like 1

Tim, was "a couple of weeks ago" just about when you installed the new software?

According to my notes that was back in January.

Not sure what's going on here yet. I'll investigate.

• Like 1

I assume you haven't ruled out the software update as a possible cause, then.  I haven't found where you mentioned it to me, but did find a post of my own from February 8th, saying that you had installed the new rev "a few days ago" -- so you're presumably talking about late January, which could qualify as "a couple of weeks ago."

It looks like these notifications only work on topics you are not already following. If you are following the topic (you are receiving emails whenever someone replies) then it would appear that in order to minimise the number of emails you get, that notifications of quotes are disabled.

• Like 2

I assume you haven't ruled out the software update as a possible cause, then.  I haven't found where you mentioned it to me, but did find a post of my own from February 8th, saying that you had installed the new rev "a few days ago" -- so you're presumably talking about late January, which could qualify as "a couple of weeks ago."

It was Jan 28th. :)

• Like 1

I have just changed my settings so that I should receive an email when I'm quoted.  Just posting this here so I'll know what time I made the change.

It looks like these notifications only work on topics you are not already following. If you are following the topic (you are receiving emails whenever someone replies) then it would appear that in order to minimise the number of emails you get that notifications of quotes are disabled.

Sounds reasonable.  Do you know whether that's a new feature -- or if it's always been like that?

I have just changed my settings so that I should receive an email when I'm quoted.  Just posting this here so I'll know what time I made the change.

It looks like these notifications only work on topics you are not already following. If you are following the topic (you are receiving emails whenever someone replies) then it would appear that in order to minimise the number of emails you get that notifications of quotes are disabled.

Sounds reasonable.  Do you know whether that's a new feature -- or if it's always been like that?

Not sure. It may be an update to the functionality, as I seem to recall this not mattering before.

That's interesting since the only content I'm following is the RPG Assassins Training Camp which hasn't been active in a few months.

• Like 1

I just now realized I'm not getting quote notifications either. (I thought it was just that nobody had anything to say back to me any more! :smile: ) Lots of "likes" but no "quotes". As far as I know I don't follow anything and haven't changed any settings. And I'm pretty sure all my settings were the default settings.

The last quote notification I got was on Feb. 8.

• Like 1

Thanks for the specific date, Arcadia.  That apparently rules out the Jan. 28 software update as the culprit.

• Like 1

Thank you Tim. Technology has a nice way of being strange sometimes.

Thanks Tim! Now that I know they're missing I'm really worried about them, all alone out there in the cold and the dark..... :d

• Like 1

I'm not getting any quote notifications at all. And I don't use the email notifications because they don't filter through to my social tab in Gmail and I have no clue how to filter stuff. :/

Also, thanks for implementing my : / emote! :D I feel honoured.

• Like 2

So you're not getting the notification on the forum's notification list (next to the private message symbol)?

I'm not getting my notification emails, and I'm pretty sure somebody has quoted me since I requested notification a few days ago.

Added:  Could those of you who are having this problem please check your Notification settings to make sure nothing has tampered with them?

Also, is there anyone who IS getting quote notifications (either email or otherwise)?

I double checked my settings (again) and they are set to notify my in the forum's notification list and by email both (aka nothing has been changed since I joined in September).  I haven't had a quote notification by email since October 8.  And as I said in the first post I haven't had a notification in the forum's list since at least February 18 (Tapatalk seemed to be notifying me even though the forum itself may not have).

• Like 1

Yep, my settings were the same as before, quote notifications via both email and list. Changed it to list only, see if that affects anything....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still not working, I take it?  Too bad -- I no longer have the time to read every single thread regularly, so quote notifications would be very useful right now!  I'd hate for anyone to think I'm ignoring them.

Any software project as complex as this forum is bound to have a few stubborn bugs, though.

Haven't seen a quote notification in weeks. I almost missed one yesterday.