Sign in to follow this  
Artemis

Superhero Films Discussion (Marvel, DC, etc.)

On 4/28/2021 at 8:36 AM, Arcadia said:

I never saw the Ed Norton version (I seem to recall it was panned as well -- ??)

It was indeed.

I really like Mark Ruffalo's portrayal, so all's good.

Ditto, though I was surprised by how well I liked Norton's portrayal as well.  As a standalone, I might even prefer him.  But I'm glad they switched actors, because I think Ruffalo has really good chemistry with the rest of the Avengers, and I don't think it'd be the same with Norton.  I agree with what you said a few posts up about casting in the MCU.

And yay! Another Iron Man 3 fan! I've seen a lot of people dismiss it but I think it was my favorite of the three;

The amount of hate that it gets makes me so sad, 'cause it really was good.  I think the majority of criticism comes from people who were very disappointed by its treatment of the Mandarin; but I had no preconceptions or expectations of that character, so it didn't bother me.  The other main criticism I see is that people don't like that Tony was shown to have PTSD after Avengers 1, because heroes shouldn't have those yucky emotions!  But that was one of the things I actually really appreciated about it, and they handled it well.  It wasn't overdone or underplayed.

And I hate watching movies in interrupted bits, spoils it.

Saaaame.  If I have to watch a movie that way then I just won't watch it.  I hope you get some "you" time soon.

I may celebrate by binge-watching all the Marvel movies in order.

tenor.gif

5 hours ago, Artemis said:

The other main criticism I see is that people don't like that Tony was shown to have PTSD after Avengers 1, because heroes shouldn't have those yucky emotions!  But that was one of things I actually really appreciated about it, and they handled it well.  It wasn't overdone or underplayed.

Phoo, that's what I liked about it too ... it made Tony more of a "real" hero, because he had to overcome human problems too, not just bad guys. Plus it helped remind us that RDJ is a really good actor. Sometimes that can get lost in the suit.

5 hours ago, Artemis said:

I hope you get some "you" time soon.

Thanks, I hope so too. It's been awhile, I plan to revel in it when it finally arrives. (It better arrive! Or I shall turn absolutely monstrous....)

• Like 1

I think Iron Man movies were my favorites. Because the hero has no superpowers beside his brain, and the movies were indeed kind of realistic.

What irritated me in the Avengerst movies was that they had to mix not only several, quite different (imo) Universes, but als different moods. While I remember Iron Man as rather sober, Guardians are almost a kind of crazy comedy. To navigate between all those elements was a difficult thing.

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier… well, it started very interesting, and I liked the themes they put into the series, but with each episode it went worse and worse. The end was unbearably pathetic and unrealistic (even for the genre).And then there was the costume… door.gif

I also dindn't like Wanda Vision. Just… no.

On 4/30/2021 at 8:28 AM, J.P. said:

I also dindn't like Wanda Vision. Just… no.

I'm curious, did you watch the whole thing?  WandaVision is a slowly unravelling mystery, with themes of grief and trauma.  If you give up in the first few episodes, you never really get to see what the show is.

What irritated me in the Avengerst movies was that they had to mix not only several, quite different (imo) Universes, but als different moods. While I remember Iron Man as rather sober, Guardians are almost a kind of crazy comedy. To navigate between all those elements was a difficult thing.

Are you talking about Infinity War and Endgame specifically?  There I kind of agree with you, though I think it ultimately worked.  The first two Avengers movies though, without the Guardians, didn't really feel all that discordant to me.

I remember when I first found out they were going to merge the heroes and "universes" of the MCU in Avengers 1, I was dismayed.  I didn't see how they could mesh well at all, and I really wanted them to remain separate.  I'm glad it worked out (imo, anyway).

with each episode it went worse and worse. The end was unbearably pathetic and unrealistic (even for the genre). And then there was the costume… door.gif

Agreed...

On 5/2/2021 at 1:52 AM, Artemis said:

I'm curious, did you watch the whole thing? 

Yes. This sitcom style put me off very effectively. I couldn't connect with the characters. (And I love both Vision and Paul Bettany). Maybe Marvel is just not good at series?

And yes, I meant the Infinity War and Endgame. I do think it worked out well, but sometimes I was like: "how the hell can X and Y exist in one Universe?"

On 5/3/2021 at 4:29 PM, J.P. said:

This sitcom style put me off very effectively.

Yeah, I can see how that could be off-putting to some.  Me, I had fun picking out references and seeing how they incorporated each decade's style into the episodes.  Most of the shows they used for inspiration were familiar to me.

On 5/3/2021 at 4:29 PM, J.P. said:

Maybe Marvel is just not good at series?

Maybe not.  I'm just hoping that "Loki" is not another letdown.  If there's only one show out of all their planned releases that they don't mess up, I want it to be that one.

This is a really nice video about the past and future of the MCU, with a narration from Stan Lee.

• Thanks 1

Latest “Loki” trailer.

June 9th!

• Like 1

Oh dear, with the new Lucifer episodes being released on May 28, I'll barely have finished those when Loki drops. Ah well, there are certainly worse problems to have. :D  

etyO6BN.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

More "Loki" promo stuff.

So many "Loki" trailers...

Marvel's "Eternals" teaser trailer.

Soooooo many...

Never cared much for Owen Wilson's style myself.  Guess we'll see how it goes...

"Black Widow" final trailer.