What song is stuck in your head?

Artemis

I have just been looking at the leaderboards, and noticed that I was in the top 3 a lot, which kinda confused me because im still sort of new. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

We did have an alphabet song, but the only thing I recall regarding months was "Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November.  All the rest have thirty-one, except February, which [something or other]."  I currently have no idea how the February part actually went.

I learned it as: “...Save February, which has 28, and leap year 29.”  And it was more of a chant than a song.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

I have just been looking at the leaderboards, and noticed that I was in the top 3 a lot, which kinda confused me because im still sort of new. 

I think it just means you’ve been posting more than most of us.  :smile:  It’s been quiet here lately, haven’t seen much from the regulars.

8 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

I'm not entirely sure I understand how it works either, but the leaderboards seem to be based on how many posts a particular member has made on a given day, combined with how many Likes they've gotten on those posts.  Then the whole thing starts from zero again the next day.  I think.

I remember when I was in prep we dressed up as kangaroos and sang this song that went something like "jump, jump, jump like a. kangaroo,

listen to the sound of the didgeridoo"

my tail fell off in the middle of it and the teacher had to tape it back on to my *bottom*

I haven't done anything like that since

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The catchy opening theme of "Turn: Washington's Spies".  After “Hamilton” I started rewatching the series.

That's really beautiful!  Don't recall having heard it before, but I can certainly think of worse things to have stuck in my head.

Come to think of it, I'd better NOT think of worse things, or they WILL be stuck in my head!

• Haha 1

Right now what's stuck in my head most tenaciously is "Hurricane" from the musical Hamilton. 

I like a lot of musicals but had not felt any interest in this particular one because I have an instinctive aversion to anything that seems like it's being hyped and also, rap / hip hop is really not my thing. 

But because I listen to so many other musical stuff, the songs keep getting recommended to me by various algorithms and the other day, I finally caved in. 

What can I say - two hours later, I was a crying mess sobbing "I'm so sorry, I get it now". 

😅

• Like 2

23 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

What can I say - two hours later, I was a crying mess sobbing "I'm so sorry, I get it now".

Yaaaay, I’m so glad you gave it chance.

I also have an aversion to hype, and I don’t like musicals, period.  I eventually caved because my curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to see what the big deal was.  Usually when I do that with something, I still come away from it thinking it was overrated.  “Hamilton” is an exception.  The hype is well-deserved, in my opinion.

• Like 1

"No Hero Here" by David & Loren Laue.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally broke down and bought a DVD with a measly ten episodes of Hennesey (a 60's sitcom about a doctor at a Navy base), simply because there doesn't seem to be anything more complete, and I remember really liking the show.  I find that I still like it, though not quite as much as I did when I was a kid.  But the theme music keeps popping into my head, and I walk around the house whistling it.

That's from the first season, when they "stenciled" the opening credits over part of the actual episode, which I find more interesting than using the same footage every week.  (The other man in this scene is James Komack, who played the dentist.  He was also "Uncle Norman" in The Courtship of Eddie's Father, and -- much as I like Jackie Cooper -- was my favorite actor in both shows.  But he ended up mostly directing and producing -- for example, he directed the original-series Star Trek episode "A Piece of the Action.")

• Like 2

Apropos of Artemis's ear worm above (TURN--great series!), this is mine.  I have listened to it about 20 times, I reckon, and am getting so I can sing the whole thing, along with Jonathan Groff or by myself.  One of the few achievements of my COVID summer, sorry to say.  I prefer this version in the Disney+ live performance to the track on the Hamilton soundtrack album.  King George sounds much more unhinged here.  Jonathan had actually retired from the role prior to this filming, and his successor graciously let him reprise King George for this one performance so the original cast could be all back together.  For this last rendition of George III, JG (aka Groffsauce, for Hamiltonians) really pulled out all the stops . . . and all the spit.  :)

• Like 1

His song(s) was one of my favorites, it made me laugh.  I love the double meaning behind “Now you’re making me mad.”  :P 

I don’t love country music, but one of my coworkers does; so now I’ve got this song about a tractor driver proudly holding up traffic stuck in my head.

”International Harvester” - Craig Morgan.

44 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I don’t love country music, but one of my coworkers does; so now I’ve got this song about a tractor driver proudly holding up traffic stuck in my head.

”International Harvester” - Craig Morgan.

What he says he's driving isn't a tractor, it's even worse -- a combine (accent on the first syllable; see the Wikipedia page for photos).  They're about the size of your living room, and -- as in the song -- they won't go more than about 5 mph.  We got behind one of those monstrosities on a very narrow country road last fall.  The guy would pull halfway off the road whenever he met oncoming traffic -- but then he would NOT stay put long enough for us to pass him.   :blowmytop:   I'm usually quite patient with people driving farm vehicles -- we wouldn't have food if it weren't for them, and they're usually fairly considerate of other drivers -- but this guy -- maybe it was Craig Morgan himself!

International Harvester is a brand name.

• Like 1

Thanks for elaborating.  👍  I just didn’t want to, lol.  I thought more people would be able to visualize a tractor than a combine, so I used it as a shortcut.  (He does also call it a 'tractor' at 2:40.)

It does try one’s patience to be caught behind a combine, lol.

I agree, just about anybody knows what a tractor is.

But I've been thinking some more about that guy we were behind last fall, and I'm wondering whether combines have rear-view mirrors?  They wouldn't normally need them out in the field (at least not for seeing other vehicles), and if they don't have them, then that guy may have had no idea whatsoever that we were stuck behind him -- whereas he could  of course see the oncoming traffic.

In any case, tractors are a heck of a lot easier to pass than combines.  For one thing, a combine is a whole lot bigger than a tractor.  And it's fairly easy for someone driving a tractor to see if there are any vehicles behind them -- whereas the combine itself blocks the driver's field of view.

Good question, although after dealing with angry drivers for awhile I think some combine drivers probably just stop caring whether they're holding anyone up or not.

12 hours ago, Artemis said:

after dealing with angry drivers for awhile I think some combine drivers probably just stop caring whether they're holding anyone up or not.

Quite possibly.  And it's not like they're out there on the road all the time.  (It just seems like it to us because the experience is so memorable.)  From what I see around here, farmers seem to leave their combines in one field till that one's done, then move to the next field, and when the last field's finished some of them seem to leave the combine sitting right there till next fall.  I doubt that many farms have machine sheds large enough (and with doors large enough) to accommodate a modern combine.

Frankly, driving a combine on a road is probably about as big a pain (and waste of gasoline) as being stuck behind one.  So they try to minimize it.

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Frankly, driving a combine on a road is probably about as big a pain (and waste of gasoline) as being stuck behind one.

I imagine so.