Jump to content

Favourite *other* Detectives  

29 members have voted

  1. 1. Who are your *other* favourite detectives?

    • Miss Jane Marple
    • Hercule Poirot
    • Inspector Morse
    • Inspector Lewis
    • Dick Tracy
      0
    • Lt. Columbo
    • Sam Spade
      0
    • Taggart
    • Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden
    • Wallander
    • Ironside
    • Starsky & Hutch
    • Inspector Clouseau
    • Inspector Gadget
    • Dirk Gently
    • Thomas Magnum (P.I.)
    • Remington Steele
    • Lord Peter Wimsey
    • Jessica Fletcher
    • Perry Mason


Recommended Posts

Posted

I also like ... Perry Mason (my mom got me onto that)....

You're talking about the real Perry Mason -- Raymond Burr in the old black-and-white shows? He was pretty cool, but my heart belonged to his investigator, Paul Drake!

 

Thanks for your recommendations -- your top favorites sound intriguing. I've been thinking of checking out Wallander anyhow, so now I'm a notch closer. Just to verify, you're talking about the British series with Kenneth Branagh (rather than the original Swedish series)? I'd love to see Branagh as some character other than the deliciously over-the-top Gilderoy Lockhart.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Kenneth Branagh is also in Valkyrie, the WWII film starring Tom cruise about the final attempt to assassinate Hitler. The film was done well.  I enjoyed it the 1 time I have seen it.

Posted

 

I also like ... Perry Mason (my mom got me onto that)....

You're talking about the real Perry Mason -- Raymond Burr in the old black-and-white shows? He was pretty cool, but my heart belonged to his investigator, Paul Drake!

 

Thanks for your recommendations -- your top favorites sound intriguing. I've been thinking of checking out Wallander anyhow, so now I'm a notch closer. Just to verify, you're talking about the British series with Kenneth Branagh (rather than the original Swedish series)? I'd love to see Branagh as some character other than the deliciously over-the-top Gilderoy Lockhart.

 

 

[indeed I am. I have quite a thing for classic films and series.

 

You're welcome! Ah, yes, Wallander is a great series. Darker and deeper than most of the BBC crime dramas I've seen, but very excellent. And yeah, not the original. I might get to those someday. Branagh is top notch. Absolutely brilliant. And bonus, Tom Hiddleston is in the first two seasons of the series <3333] 

  • 3 months later...
Posted

Sherlock Holmes is recognised as being one of the original detectives, though I think Doyle based him on an Edgar Allen Poe character...

 

He definitely did - and I can only encourage anyone who hasn't done so yet to read a C. Auguste Dupin mystery. I am not a fan of Edgar Allen Poe in general, but I love Dupin.

 

And while I'm in the other detectives thread, I will hereby declare my undying adoration of Phillip Marlowe again. I just read "The Long Goodbye", a novel I had always stayed away from because it was written so much later than the other Marlowe mysteries and I heard it was a bit different, and I thought I wouldn't like it, but turns out it is the best crime novel I have ever come across. That thing is literature.

  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

First of all, how come no one thought to include Adam Dalgliesh, P. D. James's ! loner  with a poetic streak, whose brilliant leaps of insight would match Sherlock's. Secondly Jules Maigret , whose ability to put himself into the murderer's mind equals anything in Sherlock's mind palace, and I do believe that Bruce Wayne uses every CSI tool available in the Batcave, and he has the labs and research facilities at his command to create even finer analytical tools if need be. Ra' as al Ghoul, hisl version of Moriarty, since the archvillain is actually immortal, calls him nothing but Detective.

P. S. Toby, you are so right on Dupin! In the case of the letter, ACD lifted it wholesale for The Second Stain, and what fun that episode is, with JB having so much fun and Rumpo le's Portia, Mrs Erskine-Brown, playing Lady Hilda Trelawney Hope!

  • 1 year later...
Posted

Richard Castle recently became a detective, too. :lol4:

 

See in the 'favourite tv shows' - listing that I recently posted, I have been a fan of detective shows since I was little. My grandma introduced me to stuff like Miss Marple very early. :sherlock: Can't really say who is the best (apart from Sherlock, of course :P )

 

 

Posted

Inspector Clouseau! Not for his particular intelligence, but because he makes me die from laughing, every time I watch "The pink panther" :rofl:

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 123 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.