Game of Thrones

Oh dear, that one - I was forewarned (one of the few advantages of being late to the party by virtue of being European) and skipped that episode *brrrrrrrr*. They really dropped the ball on that one.

I'm not sure I'd call Cersei a feminist ... yeah, she's angry about all the things she's denied because of her gender for sure, but she'd be perfectly fine if every other woman was still disadvantaged if only she got hers, I think :P. And she is a fascinating character for sure - there were even passages in her POV where I felt some pity for her and the hand she'd been dealt at times. Still, doesn't compare to Jaime, who I hated with a passion for years, and then he got his own POV and he slowly shifted to become one of my favourites.

I surrendered to temptation and read the recap before seeing that episode, thinking  :wtf: when the writer mentioned

rape

word. I thought, how could they misinterpret this? But they did.

It's good that you skipped it.

Same here, I almost screamed at Catelyn,"What are you doing?? He is a monster, and deserved to be chained forever." A reason why I like the writing, nobody ia black and white, there are shades of grey. And Jamie is the best example of how we turn our impression of him around.

What do you think of missing

Lady Stoneheart?

• Like 1

I think she's gonna turn up sooner or later. They are trying to trim down the number of chars, but she's already been established, so ... probably just a cameo, though, saving some family member as her last act or something.

Interesting. I don't want to say more so that I don't accidentally spoil something.

:)

Hope you get season 5 soon and still find it enjoyable.

Cheers!

Thanks :smile:. I'm really curious about it after seeing that promo picture:

uvhFxn7.jpg

Hope you'll be relieved from from boredom and get some enjoyment out of the season later, too!

Yeah, well, the fallout on another board from this week's episode makes me reconsider watching it, though (I'm very glad now I spoilered myself by checking what the hubbub was about) :wacko:. You'd think the showrunners would've got the f***ing hint after that Jaime/Cersei scene, but no ... bleaaargh.

eta: The Mary Sue says it better than I could.

Just watched.

I wasn't surprised they did that. I read something a while ago about the actor playing Ramsay talking about a horrible scene, so when  you mentioned about the fallout I figured that this would happen.

Still, I had hoped that they didn't do that, but they did.

Sigh.

Maybe that is the reason why I find this series has kind of lost its mojo. (And I honestly thought it’s because Sherlock has set a new bar for me too but it seems much more than that)

While it’s been argued that the scene is worse in the book, there are more violence blabla but imho the book is a rich web that still makes a lot of senses and back story while for the show,

I can’t help to think that, this season especially, there are too many sloppy writings that move away from the essence of the stories without significant paybacks.

All for…shock value? Shortcut to simplify the story line? I have zero knowledge about scriptwriting but I think there are many more other ways. Better ways.

It really seems the showrunners have really gone complacent and confident that whatever they offer, the fans will eat them up.

It depends on what kind of fans they want to retain I suppose.

While on the rant, the other things that bothers me is 

The Faith Militant.

It's everything that is wrong with religion, the fanaticism, judgemental and hypocrisy.

It's so one-note, unlike the book.

I think someone need to whack the showrunners in the head with the massive 5 books stacked together and tell them to read the damn book again!

P.S: There are other good scenes to be fair. Although they don't really make up for that.

Just read the Mary Sue article. Well put.

• Like 1

I think someone need to whack the showrunners in the head with the massive 5 books stacked together and tell them to read the damn book again!

Great plan! :applause: I bring the ropes, you bring the books? :lol:

GRRM has written quite a few questionable scenes, true, but so far, he's never done a POV rape scene - and consciously so, I think, for there were several occasions when he chose discretion over realism, like Dany's wedding night or Brienne's travels. One of the reason I trust him enough to keep reading the books, chopped off heads and all. Can't say the same for the series anymore, I guess :(.

As for the Faith Militant, can't say much because I haven't seen it yet (and the way things are going, won't). The High Sparrow seemed devout enough in the books to me -have they changed that too?

• Like 1

Yes.. hard cover! :)

Agree. And it's arguable that GRRM always has reason for every plot lines. It always implies on something, bigger picture, strengthens the story or enriches the plot.

While the show...,

Dany and Drogo is the good example of  :wtf:  and of course Cersei and Jamie. It contributes nothing whatsoever to the story, it even contradicts it. I would never think that Dany has Stockholm syndrome from the book, but show watcher only would think so.

This will spoil you though.

For Faith Militant,

In the show they are portrayed more as two-dimensional fanatic imho. In the book, Lancel went through a complex transformation before he dedicated himself to the faith, while in the show, it was shown a bit, and then he was fully became really fanatic, as in, full-blown fanatic.

The way they do the FM in the show can probably be associated to real life religious radicalism, that is persistent in implementing what they believe and condemn that everything else is wrong. I think it's different in the book, I never get that sense from the book, not to that scale.

Also, in the show they choose to condemn Loras's homosexuality. 

• Like 1

That's weird - I never got the impression that this was regarded as anything more than a quirk (or maybe an unfortunate complication for dynastic marriage purposes) in Westeros. Methinks the producers are getting a bit preachy here, no? :rolleyes:

Guess I'll sit this one out and wait for the inevitable "Tyrion and the dragon(s)" compilation to surface on Youtube :P. Thanks for the spoiler-warning! :smile:

What did they do to Sansa?! Okay, this is it. I really have to stop following the news about this series. It just makes me angry.

Why is this so popular again? Why does it get so many good reviews? Help. I don't understand.

I could be a bit oversensitive to religious fanaticism because of multiple bad and unpleasant experiences, so there are possibilities others might think that the FM in the show is not as bad as I make it out to be. I haven’t done (and don’t think I intend to soon) any re-watch. 

It’s possible that I misunderstood, although the first impression is really strong and uncomfortable. 

Very interested to know your takes on this should you ever watched it someday.

Preachy, they didn’t go the preachy way. 

They did a bit with Red God priests, but FM was shown ‘fanatic’ more with their actions and condemnation.

Why is this so popular again? Why does it get so many good reviews? Help. I don't understand.

I can speak up to Season 4.

- They have high quality cinematic value. It’s nicely done, the props, the setting, decorations, the time accuracy. It takes a lot of works, detailing and efforts. Above average for TV show standard.

- Excellent casts and acting. Not everyone, but very good chunk of them do.

- The story is rich and unpredictable. Personally, I’ve come to a point when I really appreciate bold and different story lines. Something not cliché, unusual and writers are willing to take different direction instead on popular ones. There are a lot of stuffs that don’t work at all, like those that we mentioned; some are done half-hearted which I’m not fond of. But those that work are great.

No coincidence, those stay close to the book.

- Last one, my own opinion, it remains popular because it has become a trend. Which is something I would never understand because I always think liking something only because it’s trendy is stupid, but it happens.

Kudos to you both to stop watching. There is no point if you don’t enjoy it.

For me. I don’t have to like it anymore but I guess I will continue watching. I still find enjoyment in different form. Out of curiosity maybe, or maybe for own understanding of the turning points that make me change my opinion of the show. It’s also the most significant adaptation that I follow closely so far.

It would be interesting if they can redeem it, it will be interesting if they really go down the hill and mess up something that already has good base.

• 2 weeks later...

This is well past my bed time, and I guess you both might not watch GoT anymore, but have to sneak in to say this; episode 8 is kind of awesome.

Two things really cool happened, and it also an unknown territory for book readers.

I only put in brief points, but will suggest that you don't click the spoiler bbuttonsif you still want to watch someday (especially second one) bcs for me, it was really an enjoyment watching it being unspoiled at all.

Dany meets Tyrion, full interactions, face to face.

Battle in Hardhome, with white walker and wights. Battle of Blackwater scale.

Yeah, I've heard good things about the second one (as in, that's why the rest of the season has been so cheesy, they were saving their budget for that :P) but I'm not much into battle scenes. The first one is what I've been waiting for to show up in the [censored] books for more than a dozen years, so yeah, of course I went to youtube and spoilered myself (not likely I'll see the full episode anyway, but I had to see this :D) - you can find the scene here (spoilers, obviously) but maybe not for long.

Related note: my crush on Peter Dinklage is still going strong :wub:. Incredibly perfect choice for Tyrion.

• Like 1

Oh, and in case you missed it: Red Nose Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs7xO5P3Az4

Admittedly, there really aren't that many romantic ballads about incest :lol:. At least I hope so.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've heard good things about the second one (as in, that's why the rest of the season has been so cheesy, they were saving their budget for that :P) but I'm not much into battle scenes. The first one is what I've been waiting for to show up in the [censored] books for more than a dozen years, so yeah, of course I went to youtube and spoilered myself (not likely I'll see the full episode anyway, but I had to see this :D) - you can find the scene here (spoilers, obviously) but maybe not for long.

Related note: my crush on Peter Dinklage is still going strong :wub:. Incredibly perfect choice for Tyrion.

I like to think that I'm not much into battle scenes as well, prolong pointless battle bores me (I fell asleep during transformer), but enjoy strategic battle (Red Cliff II is excellent example). Blackwater bay left me speechless and this one was a very pleasant surprise, because

I didn't expect it (it was merely a few background lines in the book), there were many new things revealed (new revelation about WW), character being killed (killed in different way in the book) and the scale was seriously crazy.

Hopefully this is still a good surprise for you, the scene in your link, is not all!

There is another scene which I think is equal if not better here ...spoiler of course :)

Same here. PD is excellent, still my favourite character both book and show. Jamie and Cersei next. What can I say. I do love Lannisters.

• Like 1

Admittedly, there really aren't that many romantic ballads about incest :lol:. At least I hope so.

Oh thank you!

Haven't seen it and I love it!

First, recognized Liam Neeson's voice, one of my favourite actors.

And really love the sense of humour of all the casts who are willing to do this, especially Coldplay.

Still remember the cameo in Red Wedding.

Great:

- I. Rheon being the most enthusiastic even on the first day

- Red Wedding song :lol:, romantic incest ballads :lol: Nikolaj

- Ramsay and Theon meet

- Jojen and Sam

- Chris and Kit Snow 

:rofl: I only just saw this. Fantastic.

Theoretically, a musical version of Game of Thrones could work. If I've learned something in my life so far, it's that you can make a musical out of literally anything.

Oh my god - Jamie's ballad though. "Closer to home". I nearly fell out of bed laughing and nearly suffocated coughing.

Hopefully this is still a good surprise for you, the scene in your link, is not all!

There is another scene which I think is equal if not better here ...spoiler of course :)

Oh wow, thank you - that was amazing. Tyrion is exactly who she needs if she wants to have a chance.

Oh wow, thank you - that was amazing. Tyrion is exactly who she needs if she wants to have a chance.

Agree to that!

Spoilers, at this point, would be rather depressing from what I've gathered on another forum. Oh dear. :unsure:

Mark tweeted yesterday that he was in the episode so a pic like that is definitely not a spoiler.

Besides, I remember from the books that the banker was snowed in there along with the rest of them, so yeah, not much of a spoiler. I was more referring to a certain event in yesterday's episode that's being hotly discussed.