Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

You mean, they give away that it's him? I thought the glasses and hat did that. :d

• Like 2

Also a distinct possibility. Unless you're me, who can barely recognize myself by my face.

• Like 1

Not sure. I did recognize an actor in a airport, once. (Can't even remember who he was, now, just remember he was as short as I am.) But I remember looking for my parents in a store once, and walked right past them without recognizing them. That sort of thing happens a lot. :(

Not sure. I did recognize an actor in a airport, once. (Can't even remember who he was, now, just remember he was as short as I am.) But I remember looking for my parents in a store once, and walked right past them without recognizing them. That sort of thing happens a lot. :(

My sister wouldn't recognize the celebrity while walking by our parents. There's a musician I like that wears plaid. If my sister ever some him someplace outside of a concert, she wouldn't recognize him but would make some comment about liking his plaid shirt.

... I remember looking for my parents in a store once, and walked right past them without recognizing them. That sort of thing happens a lot. :(

I've probably said this before, but that sure sounds like a case of face blindness.  Most people apparently have an area of their brain that's entirely devoted to recognizing faces -- in addition to a different area of their brain that's devoted to general pattern recognition.  But some people do not have the face-recognition area, so they need to use their pattern-recognition area for faces as well -- which works pretty well, but not as well or as quickly.  My mom has always been like that -- there were a couple of times when I had changed my hairstyle, and she looked right at me and asked me if Carol was there.  I seem to have a touch of that as well (maybe my facial-recognition area is smaller than most people's?).

I'd never heard of the condition till recently, but now I've been reading up on it.  They say that face-blind people tend to recognize people by their overall appearance -- face, hair, height, weight, posture, clothing, etc. -- and also by their mannerisms, which sounds like me.  I will often say to Alex that one person reminds me very much of another, but he will see no resemblance whatsoever.  Then I say, but they smile exactly the same way.  And he says so what, they still don't look anything alike.  So he puts mannerisms into an entirely different category from appearance, even though to me it's all the same package.

post-2268-0-11685700-1504212426.jpgSorry to change the topic, but you guys ever seen anything like this? My kiwi appears to have a tiny baby kiwi in the middle. :wacko:

... I remember looking for my parents in a store once, and walked right past them without recognizing them. That sort of thing happens a lot. :(

I've probably said this before, but that sure sounds like a case of face blindness.  Most people apparently have an area of their brain that's entirely devoted to recognizing faces -- in addition to a different area of their brain that's devoted to general pattern recognition.  But some people do not have the face-recognition area, so they need to use their pattern-recognition area for faces as well -- which works pretty well, but not as well or as quickly.  My mom has always been like that -- there were a couple of times when I had changed my hairstyle, and she looked right at me and asked me if Carol was there.  I seem to have a touch of that as well (maybe my facial-recognition area is smaller than most people's?).

I'd never heard of the condition till recently, but now I've been reading up on it.  They say that face-blind people tend to recognize people by their overall appearance -- face, hair, height, weight, posture, clothing, etc. -- and also by their mannerisms, which sounds like me.  I will often say to Alex that one person reminds me very much of another, but he will see no resemblance whatsoever.  Then I say, but they smile exactly the same way.  And he says so what, they still don't look anything alike.  So he puts mannerisms into an entirely different category from appearance, even though to me it's all the same package.

I've often wondered if that's what I have. To be honest, I suspect it's mostly because I'm just not oriented to looking at and remembering people ... as I tell my students, I'll remember what they painted, but not them. But even that could be a form of face blindness, for all I know. It is an interesting subject. I find almost everything about the brain interesting. I just finished reading The Power of Habit ... sounds like it'd be dry as dust, but I found (most of it) riveting. Never really thought about how much of what we do is governed by habit before. Quite a lot, as it turns out.

attachicon.gif kiwi.JPGSorry to change the topic, but you guys ever seen anything like this? My kiwi appears to have a tiny baby kiwi in the middle. :wacko:

I may have kiwi blindness too; I honestly have no idea if I've seen that before or not. But I'm pretty sure I've never looked very carefully either. (See, you're not changing the subject after all! :smile:)

• Like 1

The weekend must be approaching; you're the only one here. And now, alas, I too must leave you. Ciao.

• Like 1

I know I won't be on much today as my sister and I are having sister time at the MN state fair. (Sorry no random musical interludes from Rodgers and Hammerstein unless you add them yourself as I haven't seen the musical beyond just a few minutes of it.)

Hi my friends

I am in Greece Island Kos.

Very slowly and cheap.

One cola= 0.80 Euro

2 dinner+1 water= 17 Euro

3 Ice Tea+Cheece+Monster energy drink+milk+yogurt= 9 Euro

See you later. I am here anymore

• Like 2

attachicon.gifkiwi.JPG Sorry to change the topic, but you guys ever seen anything like this? My kiwi appears to have a tiny baby kiwi in the middle. :wacko:

So how come you're the only one who can make the nice picture show up?  Well, any newcomers who want to see it can just click on the curly arrow above your quote.

To answer -- somebody? -- Arcadia? -- doesn't a regular kiwi have sort of a hollow place there (instead of the baby kiwi)?  Hmm, no, more of a plain white area.  I searched Google Images on "kiwifruit" and looked at every single picture that came up (hundreds if not thousands of them), and despite some variation in size and color, not a single one displayed the variation that you posted.

If you didn't eat it, you could become famous!

I'm so alone.  :cry:

:patpatpat:

attachicon.gifkiwi.JPG Sorry to change the topic, but you guys ever seen anything like this? My kiwi appears to have a tiny baby kiwi in the middle. :wacko:

So how come you're the only one who can make the nice picture show up?  Well, any newcomers who want to see it can just click on the curly arrow above your quote.

What curly arrow? (*grumble grumble @#*&^%$'d internet...)

• Like 1

Yea, it's weird everyone else gets the link. Unfortunately I did eat it. *Sigh* My one chance of fame and fortune vanished down my gullet. 

Oh, THAT curly arrow. I forget all about that thing. I didn't know they were edible.