Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

Yea, sort of, it's an emphasis. Could just as easily be 'wow, yea.' I said before that I hate fics where John says 'cor' all the time because a) he doesn't, and b) it's always done in a way that makes him sound like Dick Van Dyke's version of cockney. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

^ Yes, that's what I was thinking of.  :lol:

Also on this show they are eating cheese and coleslaw sandwiches.  Is that a normal thing...?

23 minutes ago, Artemis said:

cheese and coleslaw sandwiches

As in, cheese and coleslaw in the same sandwich?  Or cheese eaten with a coleslaw sandwich?  Don't believe I've ever heard of either, or coleslaw in a sandwich, period.  (Cheese and peanut butter, sure.  Liverwurst and banana, yup.)

In the same sandwich, from the looks of it.  I've never seen it done either.

I've had ham and coleslaw sandwiches, they're quite nice. I think I've had cheese and coleslaw too. I'm partial to cheese and pickled onion. 

• Thanks 1

I'm learning a lot of things about Britain from this show, lol.  I thought elevenses was only a hobbit thing, lol.

Has anyone else done one of those genealogical DNA tests?  I don't know how reliable they are, but I decided to try one.  Recently got my results back and learned that I'm a small part Jewish (Ashkenazi).  That was a bit unexpected.  The rest was unsurprising, though.

Happy Autumn, everyone!

Autumn-fox-watercolor-illustration.jpg

1*uNuAZ6RBJlv-ihUYFOKC0g.jpeg

tumblr_of46vl3Wzj1s9a9yjo1_500.gif

And because we're a Sherlock forum...

ed8c3cff7dc28d18096d26443a673bfb.jpg

And because the Sherlock fandom is weird: A picture of Sherlock strolling through an autumnal path, John stalking behind the trees...

sherlock_on_a_country_road__johnlock__by

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

I thought elevenses was only a hobbit thing, lol.

Speaking of hobbits, it's Bilbo's birthday today.  And Frodo's too, of course.  Happy birthday, gentlemen!

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

Has anyone else done one of those genealogical DNA tests?

I'm planning to, just don't have the cash right now.  I found an online comparison of the readily available tests; will add a link if I can find it again.  Like probably most people whose genes have been on this continent for a few hundred years, family lore says I'm part American Indian (though I wonder if that was a euphemism for African).  Other than being primarily European, I haven't much idea otherwise, but wouldn't be surprised by much of anything.

Added:  Here's the DNA-test comparison.

• Like 1

Oh, so THAT's why the LOTR soundtrack was in my CD player. I get it now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Artemis said:

Has anyone else done one of those genealogical DNA tests?  I don't know how reliable they are, but I decided to try one.  Recently got my results back and learned that I'm a small part Jewish (Ashkenazi).  That was a bit unexpected.  The rest was unsurprising, though.

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm planning to, just don't have the cash right now.  I found an online comparison of the readily available tests; will add a link if I can find it again.  Like probably most people whose genes have been on this continent for a few hundred years, family lore says I'm part American Indian (though I wonder if that was a euphemism for African).  Other than being primarily European, I haven't much idea otherwise, but wouldn't be surprised by much of anything.

Added:  Here's the DNA-test comparison.

I've done it but need to have it done buy one of my older relatives.  I have a great aunt that is apparently still alive out in Seattle, WA.  She's the last of her siblings and the person I would like tested to figure out her paternal side.  My test missed the European Jew as my Scandinavian and British Isles ancestry collectively are larger even though my Jewish blood might actually be higher than my Irish and Scottish when they are counted separately.

Which test did you have?

Don't delay in finding your great aunt and asking her if she'd mind being tested.  Older relatives don't always last very long.   :(

I used Ancestry when they had one of their sales so it only cost $69USD instead of the normal $99USD.  My dad and some of his siblings talked about doing it and I suggested his Aunt once I realized she was still alive.  I haven't heard of her passing yet as my dad would have mentioned something.  Since she is in her early 90s, I understand how soon she could go.  None of her siblings made it to 90.  Many did make 80s.  (There were 6 of them plus an older half-sibling from their mom).

• Thanks 1

I wanted Ancestry, but I used 23andMe because Ancestry was too expensive at the time.  (As I'm typing this a 23andMe ad came on TV, lol.  Weird.)

I too have the Native American family lore, but it didn't show up on the test, so who knows.  Could have been diluted through the years.  My grandma seemed pretty sure.

Roughly 66% of my ancestry came out pretty evenly split between Scandinavian, British Isles, and German/French (not sure why they grouped those two together, but I know I've got more German ancestry than French, though I do have both).  The remaining 34% was split between various other European areas.

Ancestry has updated my DNA results and still does not have the Western/Central European Jew that despite all of the other ethnicities marrying in to the family, has held out the strongest (name and natural accent).  Ancestry is now telling me that I'm 2% Finnish, while still not finding the Jewish blood and still no Italian (my sister somehow thinks we have some distant blood from there beyond an uncle who married one of my mom's aunts).

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

75% of my ancestry came out pretty evenly split between Scandinavian, British Isles, and German/French (not sure why they grouped those two together, but I know I've got more German than French, though I do have both).

I just read an explanation for that (possibly in the article that I linked to above, not sure).  For one thing, there were no such countries until pretty recently (few hundred years).  And even after that, the border kept shifting.  So they're pretty much forced to lump them together.

Hm... I've never cared. The only thing I know about ancestry tests is that the caught the Golden State killer because of them. 

• Like 1

While Europe has many buildings dating back to the middle ages (mainly castles and cathedrals), the actual countries as we remotely know them now date back at most 2 hundred years and some only to the first World War while the ethnic groups have been around since shortly after the Tower of Babel. 

Ancestry has finally separated out Scandinavia to its individual countries.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Hm... I've never cared. The only thing I know about ancestry tests is that the caught the Golden State killer because of them. 

Same here. I've been to couple of places and make myself home but I never feel at home 100% anywhere because there is always something different with me so I never cared. Tbh, I'm more curious to get my dog a test :P just because I thought I got wrong information about his breed and want to be proven right (or wrong! XD ,  gut feeling.

Anyway, from his taste of classic and other things, I bet my lunch money that Mycroft owns this. Invented in 1954. 

6d65cc373d0ab6bf461392da9405252c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I know the countries as we know them are relatively new, but I still thought they'd be able to distinguish between German and French ethnicity, if they can distinguish between Swedish and Norwegian, or British and Irish, for example.  My test made no distinction.  And some other countries are listed separately when it seems like they could just as logically be grouped together.

Right, but why aren't they able to separate them in Germany/France like they apparently can with other countries where the gene pools should be even more closely related, is my question?  Why can they tell that I had Swedish ancestors, and I had Norwegian ancestors, but they can't tell whether my ancestors from Germany/France were German or French?  What makes the Germany/France gene pool harder to pick apart than the others?  The Germany/France area had a huge amount of diversity, but so did the British Isles; and they can tell whether I had ancestry from Britain or Ireland, independently, but not Germany or France independently.

Maybe I am making no sense, lol.

I can't say I necessarily care about my genealogy, it's more that I just grew curious.  A few years back I started hearing stories about my great-grandfather, who was a fascinating, heroic individual, and the first of my family to come to America in the early 1900's.  Then I learned that I'm related to some rather interesting well-known people on my mother's side, and started reading about them.  Then my aunt asked to me digitally scan over 1,000 old family photos and documents that she had hidden away somewhere, some of them very old, glass plate photos from the 1800's, and pictures of my ancestors in Sweden.  One of my favorites is actually my great-grandfather's notarized document of American citizenship.  It took him 8 years to become a citizen.  

The real reason I ended up purchasing the test though is because my dad bought one for my brother for Christmas.  His father was darker-skinned, but not black, and no one on his side of the family seems to know about that part of his genealogy.  He's always been a bit curious about it.  After my dad bought his, the four of us collectively decided to all take a DNA test as a family.  I'm the only one who's turned my in so far, though.

Maybe the French/German gene pool is so intermingled they can't be sorted out? It makes sense to me that English/Irish would be easier to separate … they're on two different islands. But on the continent, where it was easier to, er, mingle …. ? I freely admit I have no clue what I'm talking about. 😛