Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

The show is of such quality, there is so  much in it...

I am certain I could discuss a lot more.

Time and motivation, are my problems...

• Like 2

Well, that's a thing too … sometimes I find interesting bits that I'd like to comment on, but the time it takes to explain what I'm thinking.... urk. :rolleyes: Easier if, ahem, someone else gets the ball rolling.... :whistle: 

1 hour ago, J.P. said:

My coworker: Polaris is the brightest star.
Me: nope, it sits at one place on the sky, but it's not the brightest, I think Sirius is the brightest star.
Coworker: no, I was told at a planetarium Polaris is the brightest, but not always.
Me: Why not always?
Coworker: becaues it depends on the amount of light from the sun it reflects.

55aTH7h.gif 

I've always been amused by my mother's notion that wind is caused by clouds. I've explained the science to her, but she basically decided 1) her theory was easier to remember and 2) who the heck cared anyway. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My anatomy model came! *squee!* It's so cool! I didn't manage to work it out without the instructions though. Probably could have done eventually but I was too impatient. 

I was like a kid at Christmas opening it. :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I've always been amused by my mother's notion that wind is caused by clouds. I've explained the science to her, but she basically decided 1) her theory was easier to remember and 2) who the heck cared anyway. :D 

5 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

:D To quote Sherl, "Oh, hell, what does it matter?!"

Well, my mother IS, in her way, also a genius. :D 

I finally remembered what your mother's theory reminds me of.  One of the mini-series broadcast on the Disney television show was about a young mountain man named Andy Burnett.  He and the other mountain men felt a special affinity for clouds, and would sing this:

Blow the wind from the mountains,

Ladies proud and high.

Blow the wind from the mountains,

Ladies in the sky.

• Like 2

Oh banner change, cool.  :happy:  I like this one more than the last one, though personally I'd prefer one not from S4.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Oh banner change, cool.  :happy:  I like this one more than the last one, though personally I'd prefer one not from S4.

Ditto. I’d like them to be forever young, pretty and having adventures 😊

• Like 3

Personally I prefer one from S 4, as that reflects how far on we are in the story.

I might if I didn't think we were going to be stopped at S4 indefinitely.  I just don't care for the overall style of the S4 photo shoot.

• Like 1

But that's not facing up to where we are actually in the story though they are still having adventures anyway, as shown by the end of S 4.

That's the problem with the Sherlock fandom in general!

They all write their own version, or have their own head canons at least....

Which is fine, as long as they don't confuse their own visions with those actually shown in the show!

As for future episodes...who knows?

I think that's the great thing about it, that everyone can play and explore 'what ifs.' 

It's only when people start harassing the writers because it doesn't go the way that they want that I think it's a problem. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, besleybean said:

... they are still having adventures anyway, as shown by the end of S 4.

Right -- which is why a shot from the final montage (such as them emerging from Rathbone Place) would be appropriate.  That would probably need to be custom-cropped from a screen cap, but even I know how to do that.

For the time being, though, I like the current one well enough.  It reminds me of their "soldiers' attitude from TFP.

On 9/27/2018 at 3:19 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

When I read the post without remembering the last conversation I was confused which babe you are talking about.

And........ then I thought it's a detective.

Maybe it's a precaution, just like those alarm they installed in grave back then? Doctors and coroners make mistake as well, no?

On the darker thought, I hate to think that there could be a need from stressed and grieving family. :(

Who talk you through it? You mean the one you know comes with audio manual? I don't remember the ones I know have those.

I remember thinking that it's not that easy to use the last time I took my First Aid Course. I mean, it is simple enough, but unless you deal with it regularly, I don't think regular people without medical training would have much confidence with it, especially when there is a dying person in front of you. It's also going to be a tough call about whether that person need it. I remember the scenarios are never straight forward.

The ones we have here start talking as soon as you turn them on. They give very simple, clear instructions that even people without any medical knowledge can follow. Not only about using the defibrillator but about general CPR as well. And they only give off the shock if they detect a rhythm that makes it necessary, you can't use them as murder weapons. 

I once saw a doctor use one. He was getting annoyed with it because of all the chatter that of course he didn't need. At one point he actually said: "Yeah, yeah, shut up!"

😅

• Haha 1

Here's an account of the development of the automated portable defibrillator -- by the same Northern Irish doctor who had developed CPR some years earlier.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:13 PM, Arcadia said:

I'm not sure why I told that story, except that it illustrates why I'm ambivalent about the CIA. No one's quite convinced me yet that some of the things they do are really in the interests of our national security. But then, I'm not a very good patriot; I put the world's welfare ahead of my country's

There are a LOT of things that CIA do that are very questionable to me.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:32 PM, Pseudonym said:

I’m such a nerd, I bought an anatomical model of an orca. Looks so cool though!

What scale it is, does it come with detachable organs?

On 9/28/2018 at 9:07 PM, Arcadia said:

Not new, so much, just different ways of looking at things, or focusing on different details. And I use discussion to sort out my feelings about things, sometimes. But that's just the way I am, I know that kind of thing drives other people up the wall. It's okay.

Me too. I don't feel I have really get into S4 episode threads yet. Heck, I probably only had read about 10% of them. Haven't done rewatching yet so I don't feel I can contribute much, and it was overwhelming for me back then when they were new... I don't have as much time as I want to get into them especially even more so now, with technical *(^&@#&.

Anyway, do the S4 episodes still hidden??

16 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

The ones we have here start talking as soon as you turn them on. They give very simple, clear instructions that even people without any medical knowledge can follow. Not only about using the defibrillator but about general CPR as well. And they only give off the shock if they detect a rhythm that makes it necessary, you can't use them as murder weapons. 

I once saw a doctor use one. He was getting annoyed with it because of all the chatter that of course he didn't need. At one point he actually said: "Yeah, yeah, shut up!"

That is great, the audio manual, I hope the update it regularly. I had taken 5-6 times CPR course, and each time, something changed. Sometimes minor, sometimes major, breathing, compression counts, the sequence to do thing etc. Took those with how to proper administer ways to take care of wound, broken bones etc etc (not sure if I still have it in my messy beach cottage --> can't afford a palace even if it's in mind only) and they changed too. So I hope, when the day comes when someone is in trouble, I'd have someone else ready or google with good internet connection, or these talking thingy.

you can't use them as murder weapons. 

:D Do non-Sherlock fans think of this kind of question casually? Noooo I don't think it's practical to use as murder weapon. It'd be tedious! You have better chance with rusty bicycle nearby, a twig, a napkin.. :D

This sounds like me when I attempt to fix or assemble something and have the manual (that I read outloud myself or help video next to me): "YEah, shut up! Shut up! Can't you see I've already done what you want me to do? Why doesn't it work??? What do you know? What is this? Where is that floppy conductor quantum khkgue7&%*&% things you mentioned? Number 8?? Where is number 8? Insert number 7 to 8? All I see here is 12 and 13! 8 my a**! What are you talking about? Shut up! Be useful! You are not hellllpppppiiiinggg...."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Me too. I don't feel I have really get into S4 episode threads yet. Heck, I probably only had read about 10% of them. Haven't done rewatching yet so I don't feel I can contribute much, and it was overwhelming for me back then when they were new... I don't have as much time as I want to get into them especially even more so now, with technical *(^&@#&.

Anyway, do the S4 episodes still hidden??

They never were, as long as you … ahem … logged in.

This sounds like me when I attempt to fix or assemble something and have the manual (that I read outloud myself or help video next to me): "YEah, shut up! Shut up! Can't you see I've already done what you want me to do? Why doesn't it work??? What do you know? What is this? Where is that floppy conductor quantum khkgue7&%*&% things you mentioned? Number 8?? Where is number 8? Insert number 7 to 8? All I see here is 12 and 13! 8 my a**! What are you talking about? Shut up! Be useful! You are not hellllpppppiiiinggg...."

:rofl: Me too.

• Like 1

My orca is about 30cm long, and yes it has detachable organs and rib cage. IT'S SO COOL!

Pretty sure you could use a defib as a murder weapon if you swung it at someones head. :evilinside:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Damn time zones. Everyone's chatty chatty when I'm sleeping but when I'm in work bored it's silent. 

4 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

My orca is about 30cm long, and yes it has detachable organs and rib cage. IT'S SO COOL!

Pretty sure you could use a defib as a murder weapon if you swung it at someones head. :evilinside:

Ohhhhh...that's how you do it! :D

In my imagination, it would be tedious to ask someone to bare their chest and approach you willingly while you are grinning suspiciously with twitching persuasive eyebrows and holding those thingy in front of you. :p

2 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

Damn time zones. Everyone's chatty chatty when I'm sleeping but when I'm in work bored it's silent. 

a

Happens to me always, but somehow I prefer it that way. If I happen to be saying something  when everything suddenly comes alive and many people reply immediately, I'd get very uncomfortable and try to exit.

It's grim when you're enjoying a TV show or movie and you happen to come across an interview with the actor and realise they're a bit of a d*ck but obviously think they're adorable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

If I happen to be saying something  when everything suddenly comes alive and many people reply immediately, I'd get very uncomfortable

Yeah, I prefer having a little time to think, and then maybe a chance to rephrase my post a little before anyone actually reads it.  I don't do well at all in online chat rooms.  On the other hand, it can be a bit discouraging to post something really brilliant that just sits there for hours and hours -- until Arcadia logs in and makes fun of it!

13 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

It's grim when you're enjoying a TV show or movie and you happen to come across an interview with the actor and realise they're a bit of a d*ck but obviously think they're adorable.

Um, yeah.  But in my experience those actors sometimes come across just a bit that way in the show, even if their character isnt like that at all.  Maybe I've just been lucky, but the performances I most enjoy generally turn out to be by actors who -- even if they're nothing like their character -- seem to think things through and have a pretty sensible view of things, including themselves.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1