Hello everybody!

Bedelia

Hello Pawse! Thank you and welcome to you too, lol How long have you been here? I hope I'll be able to participate more in a week or so.

I only joined today! :D

Hello jknitt! (wie geht's? ich möchte auch Sherlock auf Deutsch fernsehen. Did i say it correctly?) I watch it in english and sometimes with english subtitles. But when I'm with friends, sometimes we watch it in spanish. I can imagine the problem you have in Germany, I mean, it's difficult to match the mouth movements with the dialogues. Have you found certain discrepancies between the original dialogues and the translation in german as well?

I don't watch it in German. In fact, I don't even have a TV. I'm from the US and live in Germany, so I'm glad I have the opportunity to watch it in English. And I'm sure there's similar discrepancies to what you find in Spanish. It's just a product of translation I suppose.

In the German version, just for starters, although they call each other Sherlock and John, they still (as to s2e3, the last to be aired in German so far) use the Sie, the German equivalent of usted. And don't get me started on the voice they dubbed Cumberbatch over with (for Star Trek, they got a better one, fortunately).

And welcome Pawse, btw! :wave:

In the German version, just for starters, although they call each other Sherlock and John, they still (as to s2e3, the last to be aired in German so far) use the Sie, the German equivalent of usted.

WHAT? Seriously? The "last phone call" in German must sound like a parody... God, I know why I don't have TV here and simply watch DVDs with the original audio.

Yep - I didn't find the scene on YouTube (which wasn't terribly cooperative - the engine seemed baffled that I'd be searching for the German version, for once :lol:) but I dug out the bilingual blu-rays, and indeed, the last sentence is, "Tun Sie das nicht!" :wacko:.

I did find this, however, if you want to compare dubbed versions directly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mKQ3EI35cg

• Like 1

Hey! Thank you Caya for the video and the info! The lack of the difference between "usted" and "tu" is so frustrating when watching a show spoken in english. In The X FIles for example, they used the "usted" for the first episode only, if memory serves, and i think that maybe, towards the end of that episode, they started to use the "tu" (i'm talking about mulder and scully of course, when talking to each other). I guess some translators don't quite know when "you" changes from "usted" into "tu". But I think that the fact that they call each other by their names rather than their surnames, is a clear indicator that they should change from "Sie"to "du". I guess it must be a bit incongruent for german audiences, to watch how they become close friends but hear them refer to each other using "Sie". 

Lol, maybe we should open a thread about linguistics and translations or something :P

It's really jarring indeed to have them refer to each other so formally, especially, as T.o.b.y stated, in emotional scenes like the last call. Love is your husband watching the English versions with you although he has trouble understanding Sherlock during deductions, and you watching the German ones with him later even though they set your teeth on edge :D.

And we do have a Language thread :smile:.

Hey! Definitely! That's love! If I didn't love my friends I wouldn't watch it in spanish with them :P After listening to both the german and the spanish versions, I think both might have the same problem: to me, the dubbers, sound similar. I remember having the telly on once, as I was doing something else on the computer and Merlin (BBC show) was on and I could never tell the difference between Arthur and Merlin. To my ears, Sherlock and John, in both german and spanish version, sound as if they're dubbed by the same man. 

Dubbing is necessary for those who can't speak or understand the original material but it's a shame because the actors are also their voices and the way they use them, and that's lost... but what can we do?

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out!

Dubbing is necessary for those who can't speak or understand the original material...

Not necessarily necessary. I've watched Swedish films in Swedish with English subtitles and I don't understand a word of Swedish. It was still fun to hear the "real" voices. Subtitles are quite good enough for me. But I suppose it bothers some people more to have to read them than to hear a voice that doesn't belong to the actor.

Dubbing is necessary for those who can't speak or understand the original material...

Not necessarily necessary. I've watched Swedish films in Swedish with English subtitles and I don't understand a word of Swedish. It was still fun to hear the "real" voices. Subtitles are quite good enough for me. But I suppose it bothers some people more to have to read them than to hear a voice that doesn't belong to the actor.

True but a few years ago, if anyone suggested watching a film with subtitles, everybody would be like "Whaaaat!?? i don't want to spend almost two hours reading and missing the action!!" (at least in my country). We're reaching a point where more people are getting used to read subtitles. They admit that at first it was difficult but after a while they got used to read fast and now they can keep up with everything. If only we had more original films available :( At the moment many channels offer the two versions but cinemas rarely offer movies in their original version (except in Madrid and Barcelona)

After listening to both the german and the spanish versions, I think both might have the same problem: to me, the dubbers, sound similar. I remember having the telly on once, as I was doing something else on the computer and Merlin (BBC show) was on and I could never tell the difference between Arthur and Merlin. To my ears, Sherlock and John, in both german and spanish version, sound as if they're dubbed by the same man.

Have you watched The Hobbit on DVD with Spanish dubbing?  I was quite impressed by how closely they had matched the original actors' voices.

After listening to both the german and the spanish versions, I think both might have the same problem: to me, the dubbers, sound similar. I remember having the telly on once, as I was doing something else on the computer and Merlin (BBC show) was on and I could never tell the difference between Arthur and Merlin. To my ears, Sherlock and John, in both german and spanish version, sound as if they're dubbed by the same man.

Have you watched The Hobbit on DVD with Spanish dubbing?  I was quite impressed by how closely they had matched the original actors' voices.

Hey! I just watched the trailer (watching the movie is on my to-do list) and I agree with you. Smaug's voice is good. Maybe Bilbo's isn't so close to the original voice but it's not completely different either. And the dubbing is good, no complains there from me :) If you want to watch bad choice of dubbers i recommend watching The Shining (El resplandor) and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (starting from 1.20; the rest of the actors are okay, but Tom Riddle....it's another thing entirely)

Here are the links: http://youtu.be/AKcH5gGhs5Q (And to think that Kubrick was the one who chose the spanish dubbers...) and http://youtu.be/tUiHFY3c_ak?t=1m20s

:welcome: Bedelia! I'm new too! :)

Welcome Pawse, :wave2:

I am sure you will enjoy the :sherlock2: Forum :wave3::tongue2::bouncy::boing::thumbsup:

Thank you! :wave3:

Hey! I just watched the trailer (watching the movie is on my to-do list) and I agree with you. Smaug's voice is good. Maybe Bilbo's isn't so close to the original voice but it's not completely different either. And the dubbing is good, no complains there from me :)

I turned on the Spanish and watched the scenes at Bag End at the beginning of the first movie (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, from 2012). Everyone's voice sounded similar to the originals, and they were different enough from each other as well.  We haven't got the second movie (The Desolation of Smaug) on DVD yet.

Hi !  My name is Debbie and I live in Atlantic Canada.  I "discovered" Sherlock on NetFlix late last year ... seriously devouring all the British series I can find.  Series 3 just started running on BBC Canada and the Showcase network (preference due to HD) and I think I've seen Empty Hearse 3 times in less than a week and I'm so excited by it that I'm sure I could watch it 300 times and not be tired of it.  I'm not the biggest fan of comedy shows but laughed my head off when Watson tried to beat Sherlock up in the restaurants ... too funny !  (Of course, each time I hear Sherlock say "round and round the garden like a teddy bear", I laugh like an idiot.  Must be me, I guess.  LOL ! :D ).  I have all of the Jeremy Brett episodes of Sherlock Holmes on DVD and was convinced that nothing could compare ... but I love the updated Sherlock.  If anything lends itself to modern times it's Sherlock and I enjoy the characters so much.  I've not seen Mr. Cumberbatch or Mr. Freeman in anything else but would certainly like to.  I can harldy wait until the next episode which comes on the HD channel tonight ! :wub:  .... Debbie in Saint John, NB

... seriously devouring all the British series I can find.  

I've not seen Mr. Cumberbatch or Mr. Freeman in anything else but would certainly like to.

Welcome!

Well, if you like British television drama and want to see more of the work of those two actors, I'd recommend for a start that you check out "The Office" for Freeman (even if you usually don't like comedy, it's worth a peek) and "Parades End" for Cumberbatch. There are snippets of both on youtube, or at least were the last time I checked, in case you want to get a first impression.

Hello Debbie and welcome to the forum! :wave:

You're certainly not alone in your love for fine British baritones :smile:. We have an audio thread if you want to share tips ;).

Hi, Debbie -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

Looks like the Freeman recommendations are a bit scanty so far.  You say you're not much for comedy, but if you'll give us an idea what sorts of things you do favor, I'm sure we be able to suggest some interesting items for you.

Hello again and thanks for the warm greetings !  :D I tried to find Parades End on Netflix last night but it isn't there.  Netflix Canada isn't quite as well equipped as the US version.  My dental hygienist has a teenaged son who has managed to get Netflix UK ... I would almost kill for such a program ... and has promised to give me the secret, but so far I've heard nothing.  It's probably illegal :o  but who cares ??  Netflix Canada has helped me find my favourite shows of all time, though ... after Sherlock ... there's Endeavour, Ripper Street, Luther ... I could go on and on ... so I'm not complaining.  So, Carol, that's kind of my viewing interest right there ... mystery, crime-solving ... and I love it British-style ... much less gore and fare fewer disturbingly deranged criminals.  I really like Criminal Minds but OMG !  Who thinks up this stuff ??  YIKES ! :blink: 

Debbie

I really like Criminal Minds but OMG !  Who thinks up this stuff ??  YIKES

I know! I used to watch it especially when Mandy was on. But then it got so darn right graphic, I've had to give it up.

Netflix Canada has helped me find my favourite shows of all time, though ... after Sherlock ... there's Endeavour, Ripper Street, Luther ....  So, ... that's kind of my viewing interest right there ... mystery, crime-solving ... and I love it British-style ... much less gore and fare fewer disturbingly deranged criminals.

Debbie

Bet you don't care for Elementary either, then -- at least not on the weeks when there are severed limbs and/or pools of blood!  :sick:

Martin Freeman has played a wide range of comedic and dramatic characters, meaning that he has not specialized in John Watson types -- so now I'm trying desperately to think of any other mystery / crime shows he's been in.  Well, there's the upcoming Fargo, of course (though I fear he's basically one of the criminals in that series).  OK then, I'll just list what I consider the very best things he's been in so far:

Sherlock (of course!)

The Hobbit films (particularly An Unexpected Journey, before Peter Jackson went all elf-centric)

Bruiser (a comedy sketch series -- YouTube has all of Freeman's sketches, the first 7 listings here)

The Office (already mentioned by Tim, appropriately enough)

The Good Night (a drama with dark-comedy overtones -- and a twist at the very, very end)

Hopefully at least some of those are on your Netflix.