Benedict Cumberbatch in Black Mass

sfmpco

I get the feeling BC has a pretty minor role in this.

No, not really.  His likes the minor roles too, especially if he can be opposite some of the other A-list talent in the world.  

• Like 2

No, not really. His likes the minor roles too, especially if he can be opposite some of the other A-list talent in the world.

That makes sense

After S2 he did AUGUST OSAGE COUNTY, 12 YEARS A SLAVE.  WAR HORSE came in there somewhere.  All small parts.  He's still very willing to do small roles because (I heard him say) that he's always building his resume.  Plus he's just looking to stay busy, and he's very, very good at being busy.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

New trailer ... I notice BC's only 3rd on the billing.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2015/07/watch-benedict-cumberbatch-in-black-mass-trailer/

I honestly don't know whether I'll go see it ... it looks like the kind of movie I generally dislike. I assume it will be rated R....

It looks a really interesting movie, I'll probably go see it.

I really like Joel Edgerton the guy that got second billing,he is a really versatile and talented actor/producer/director from Australia,  you may know him from The Great Gatsby, he played Daisy Buchanan's husband Tom.  He is a great actor so it would seem that they have a really good cast for this movie.  It always freaks me out to here an American accent out of Ben's mouth.

• Like 1

Never mind Benedict for a moment! Is that Johnny Depp's actual hairline? He looks like that joke about "my hairline is not receding, my forehead is growing larger" oh my ears and whiskers! I suddenly got an urge to watch all Pirates of the Caribbean plus The tourist to regain my happy place!

• Like 1

I don't think so, Inge, I think he's wearing a fake forehead. (?) I hope so!

• Like 1

Dear J.P., you must be joking! This is Johnny Depp we're talking about, and Benedict being there is an added inducement! I have ten favourite stars of all time and they are Sean Connery, James Stewart, Harrison Ford, Johnny Depp, Matt Damon, Christopher Plummer, James Mason, Peter o'Toole, Burt Lancaster and Spencer Tracy. There are others, like Fred Astaire and Danny Kaye, but Johnny Depp can do anything on screen and get away with it.

• Like 1

Dear J.P., you must be joking! This is Johnny Depp we're talking about, and Benedict being there is an added inducement! I have ten favourite stars of all time and they are Sean Connery, James Stewart, Harrison Ford, Johnny Depp, Matt Damon, Christopher Plummer, James Mason, Peter o'Toole, Burt Lancaster and Spencer Tracy. There are others, like Fred Astaire and Danny Kaye, but Johnny Depp can do anything on screen and get away with it.

Danny Kaye, I love Danny Kaye too!

Me three!

Our family Christmas tradition each year is to collect everyone and watch The Court Jester. Then go around saying "Get it?" "Got it!" "Good." :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw a commercial for this movie a few minutes ago. Looks like it opens in the U.S. on September 18 and nothing about limited screenings first.

I live about 50 miles from where all this happened and was filmed. I do regret not going to Boston to watch the filming last summer. I just hope they don't mangle the accents too badly but Johnny Depp is good at accents and Benedict is good, too.

I can't say it will be "enjoyable", but it should be good.

• Like 2

I live about 50 miles from where all this happened and was filmed. I do regret not going to Boston to watch the filming last summer. I just hope they don't mangle the accents too badly but Johnny Depp is good at accents and Benedict is good, too.

I'm curious about your opinion of most "Boston accents" in movies and television programs.  Do you think they're typically pretty good? pretty bad?

I'm not a native like you, but I did live in the Boston area for a few years, so I have a general idea what the different local accents sound like.  I thought John Ratzenberger did a perfectly plausible (albeit comedically broad) accent on Cheers.  I don't watch a lot of movies or television, so the only other attempted Boston accent I can think of just offhand is Tom Hanks' in Catch Me if You Can.  I thought it was perfectly credible for the most part, but slipped badly every now and then, which I found distracting.  Since the character's background was not a plot point, Hanks would probably have been better off either skipping the accent or toning it down -- or re-recording some lines during post-production.

There's a wide range of opinions online regarding both of those performances (including some people who thought Hanks was attempting a Chicago accent!), but my favorite is this (from the comments section of this page):

My advice to actors is, the first rule of doing New England accents should be: NOBODY IN NEW ENGLAND TALKS LIKE THE KENNEDYS.

That cracked me up!  And I think she's correct, really.

Something to make him look less like Benedict and more like his non-Sherlock character.   Because heaven forbid that he actually looks like himself and less like his actual age.

• Like 1

I'm curious about your opinion of most "Boston accents" in movies and television programs.  Do you think they're typically pretty good? pretty bad?

I'm not a native like you, but I did live in the Boston area for a few years, so I have a general idea what the different local accents sound like.  I thought John Ratzenberger did a perfectly plausible (albeit comedically broad) accent on Cheers.  I don't watch a lot of movies or television, so the only other attempted Boston accent I can think of just offhand is Tom Hanks' in Catch Me if You Can.  I thought it was perfectly credible for the most part, but slipped badly every now and then, which I found distracting.  Since the character's background was not a plot point, Hanks would probably have been better off either skipping the accent or toning it down -- or re-recording some lines during post-production.

There's a wide range of opinions online regarding both of those performances (including some people who thought Hanks was attempting a Chicago accent!), but my favorite is this (from the comments section of this page):

My advice to actors is, the first rule of doing New England accents should be: NOBODY IN NEW ENGLAND TALKS LIKE THE KENNEDYS.

That cracked me up!  And I think she's correct, really.

Definitely!

Most sound too forced. I worked to lose my accent when I went to college in the south (University of Florida). It comes out to play only when I'm tired or I want it to. Still, it drives me crazy when poorly done. I agree with you on John Ratzenburger. But he is from Connecticut and probably heard many real Boston accents growing up.

• Like 2