Sherlock's Heart

Arcadia

I've always seen Sherlock as more of an antihero; I think he did grow up to be a pirate of sorts. He does whatever he feels is necessary with little to no regard for law, has no problem stealing from people who care about him and is manipulative and an excellent liar. I also think he is a huge romantic.

Reading others' interpretations of Sherlock's character is so fascinating. I wonder how much of ourselves we put into our interpretations?

A pinch, and make sure to take it with a handful of salt because there're times outrageous statements are made for different goal than writing what we really think about a character :P

What?!?!?! No!! Never!!! We are all as pure as spun gold! :p

Nah, I am only a humble pewter :p
  • Like 3

I haven't even started ASIP yet and it's 10 PM.  Eeeep!

Yike! Me either! And now I'm into a really interesting Denzel Washington movie! Double eeeep!

• Like 2

Are you on the east coast?  You are, aren't you?  Or do you still have time on your side, Arcadia?  

Yep, east coast, now it's 10:30. Something tells me I'll be watching Pink tomorrow, because this movie is REALLY interesting. :)

• Like 2

If Sherlock was just manipulating Molly in that scene in TRF then I hope she puts it together and drop kicks him in series 4.  

Team Molly!

No no, he was sincere.  I also think that without her help, he possibly would have died.  Somehow Moriarty would have got him.

Re: projecting ourselves: God, yes!. A lot. Except being beautiful, exotic, male creature able to manipulate people without regret and who has control over his mind (like to focus on one thing shutting off all others) Some things I actually recognized first after pondering about him: it seems that sometimes it's easier to see something about yourself, when you look indirectly.

Well... as I wrote the third sentence I realized that the half of Sherlock is me, the other half is what I wish to be. See? One more thing I just learned about myself :D

Still, going by his behavior in S3, I think Sherlock was being sincere in TRF. I say that because he had nothing to gain by manipulating Molly in S3. Well, her continued good will; but he already had that.

But maybe he doesn't believe that. He can't accept that someone would want to help him because of good will, or love, or friendship, or maybe because they are good human beings. He thinks he's unlovable - his self-description from the wedding speech might be how he really sees himself.

Strange mixture: a romantic at heart, thinking he's unlovable. Well, maybe he tries desperately to earn that love by being a dragon slayer? And sometimes he might confuse love with admiration - another thing he craves.

• Like 3

The last I heard, they based it on The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. :P

Certainly when you watch that episode you see references lifted over to the BBC SHERLOCK all over the place, not the least of which is Sherlock pretending to be gay and saying that John was also gay (which was quite upsetting to John since he was such a ladies' man). 

And Sherlock's heart (does NOT) belong to Molly! Excuse the frivolity, it comes from watching SiP and still feeling rather ebullient!

Absolutely, kind, reliable, emphathetic and knowledgeable! A scientist in her own right, one he can always depend on, but Sherlock has never been the dating or marrying kind on screen.

• Like 1

Sherlock's heart belongs to Mrs. Hudson, John, Lestrade, Molly, his parents, Mycroft and even Mary.  And of those people he would lay down his life for.

• Like 1

Lay his life on the line, take incredible risks, lie, deceive and play merry h*** with the law of the land in pursuit of his own personal code of ethics, absolutely agree, but develop a heart? I'm very much afraid the jury is still out on THAT one after almost 130 years, so not much chance of getting a verdict any time soon.

I'll be damned!

SherlockandJohn! Where are you? Do you see it? It looks like we were sitting exactly at the same spot where John and Mycroft sat during the scene at Speedy's. Okay, they moved the table to the middle of the room. Which is not much. ;)

I am referring to the video above, btw.

Sigh, your obsession is bad when you are happy about such things...

• Like 5

Ah, but it's not, not really. Sometimes soft is just being selfless. It can take a lot of strength to be selfless.

• Like 5

Shhh, don't let Shadow hear you say that. :D

Owwww! Now that jab hurts.......... :lol: Dang, just as I was feeling all squishy for Sherlock....

• Like 2

Shhh, don't let Shadow hear you say that. :D

*appeared like genie from a lamp* You called me, mistress Arcadia?

• Like 2