The Political Thread

My feeling is ... at least Pence knows how the government actually works. He wouldn't think he's king, like Trump appears to.

This is why I get annoyed when people say "we need a business man to run this country" or something like that. A country is not a business. The same concerns do not apply. A business's reason for being is to make as much money as possible, by any legal means necessary. A country's reason for being is vastly more complex than that, and far more tied to history, customs and the like. ("Tied down" by, some would say, but not I.)

*sigh*

If Trump gets impeached, we only get Pence if Trump resigns. President Clinton was impeached and he remained in office until us term was done. Impeachment is more like a vote of no confidence than an actual kick out of office.

True, although doesn't it also depend on the results of the impeachment? If I remember correctly, Clinton was acquitted of the charges brought against him, and that's why he served out his term. If he had been found guilty, he would have been removed from office. I think that's how it works. An impeachment is more like a trial than a vote ... you're innocent unless proven guilty. Although "no confidence" is certainly an implied aspect of holding an impeachment in the first place.

I wonder how much that Sarah Huckabee believes in the things she says herself.

And where is the line when you start selling your soul to do your job. To be fair, that line is very easily crossed for anybody.

Do you remember that NRA ad that was posted here awhile ago? They made another one https://m.mic.com/articles/182393/the-nra-releases-another-horrifying-ad-this-time-threatening-journalists-and-politicians#.THbOFEvAi I cringe at the patriotism and and the idiocy.

Yes, even Sean Spicer could only take being s**t on for only so long. I wonder who's next.

This new guy (can't even remember his name) seems like a mini-Trump ... he's so impressed with himself he can barely see his own toes. Here's hoping the professionals (aka the Washington press corps) -- make mincemeat of him. :evil:

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/343455-house-dem-seeks-to-prevent-trump-from-being-able-to-pardon-himself

So the President of the United States may be able to pardon himself for treason. How is this even allowed?

Some oversight in the Constitution, because the Founding Fathers never imagined anyone would stoop that low??

Trump is now like the boy who cried wolf ... all his people are denying he's trying to figure out if he can pardon himself, but given the blatant lies they've been caught in so far, why should we believe them? Welcome to the real world, Mr. Trump.

Does he have nothing better to do?

Trump's transgender military ban 'not worked out yet

Wtf. WTF.

And they can't even justify the reason. Did she graduate from the same school?

Is there even space left for benefit of doubt about slight intelligence?

"Look, I think sometimes you have to make decisions and once [the president] made a decision, he didn't feel it was necessary to hold that decision," Sanders said when asked why the White House didn't have an answer about active-duty service members.

What is it?

Brat kid playground?

I get that Trump said that transgenders would be banned out of bigotry but tbh I don't think it's that bad in the long run.

I think the U.S. needs to stop playing world police and one of the keys to achieving that is to decrease the power of the military. Reducing the number of people signing up to join the military is one way of achieving that.

I think a bigger issue is how John McCain who is currently suffering from brain cancer was receiving tax-payer funded healthcare, went on a tax-payer funded trip to Washington to approve of Trump's healthcare bill which would rob poor people of the treatment that he himself is receiving. Republicans are the worst.

I think they'll just replace people with weapons. If Trump gets his way, we're about to see the biggest build-up in military power since Vietnam. We won't be the world's police, we'll be the world's biggest bully. If we're not there already.

Does he have nothing better to do?

Trump's transgender military ban 'not worked out yet
Wtf. WTF.

And they can't even justify the reason. Did she graduate from the same school?
Is there even space left for benefit of doubt about slight intelligence?

"Look, I think sometimes you have to make decisions and once [the president] made a decision, he didn't feel it was necessary to hold that decision," Sanders said when asked why the White House didn't have an answer about active-duty service members.

What is it?
Brat kid playground?

I think the answer's further down the page ....

... perhaps the administration decided this was a good time to change the subject and rally conservative forces to his side.
Republicans have long used cultural issues as a wedge to divide Democrats and energise evangelicals.
While Mr Trump campaigned as sympathetic to LGBT rights, he needs the traditional religious conservatives to stay loyal to him now, more than ever.

He's not making policy, he's showing off for the crowd.

I get that Trump said that transgenders would be banned out of bigotry but tbh I don't think it's that bad in the long run.

I think the U.S. needs to stop playing world police and one of the keys to achieving that is to decrease the power of the military. Reducing the number of people signing up to join the military is one way of achieving that.

Reducing number is one thing, they can just do general cut. But reducing it by targeting one groups is discrimination, and have seen too many ugly impacts of similar practice in many fields. The justifications are not proven, and worse, it seems like it's just statement without concrete reasoning and steps to address to problems or solutions.

Also, imho, there is no way US would reduce the power of military. It's more likely it feels the need to add more. I think as long as no significant countries want to back down or take the initial steps, nobody would cut down their military in fear of being left out with lack of counter power, now that a lot of international relationship are built on shaky ground and world power is starting to shift. And in my own baseless prediction, nobody would take the step in fear of not being followed and ends up having to swallow their words or left without significant military compared to others. Unless it's discussed and agreed collectively, however even with problems as significant as climate, it has a lot of challenges.

He's not making policy, he's showing off for the crowd.

I think he never outlive and still trying to regenerate the 'glorious' time of his campaign instead of doing actual works.

The speech at the scout gathering is wtf, and doesn't he sound like broken record?

And I'm quite happy that they reject his suggestion to rough up suspects. That actually shows how ignorant he is, in the middle of controversial incidents between law enforcers and civilians/suspects. But yes, there are people who still look at whatever he says with sparkly eyes and keep reminding me of how depressing it is to have leader like this.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the worst part of the whole thing for me ... you just know there's people out there who think every word out of his ignorant mouth is gospel. I just keep thinking ... this can't end well. Why why why was this clown able to con so many people....... :cry:

Because people like him because he doesn't mince words  :rolleyes:

I'm afraid you're right. I remember even before the election people were saying they liked him "because he talks like me." Imagine, a whole nation of Trumps .... :(

I did get a good laugh out of the firing of "The Mooch." What a clown he was.

• Like 1

Yah, he is busy vacationing, making threats and making fun of people instead of actually saying something about the mosque attack or do something worthy.

The other day I read transcripts about the speech at the boy scout's function, transcripts of conversation with Australia and Mexico. It's...amusing.

Does he have ADD? Delusion of grandeur, definitely. I swear I could read the frustration of the other party talking to him.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-charlottesville-violence-20170812-story.html

Trump blames 'many sides' for the for the violence in Charlottesville protests.

I wonder if these 'many sides' include the neo-nazis?

His people are trying to, but those words from the man himself? Not yet. He's supposed to make a speech; who wants to bet he still manages to wriggle of out condemning white supremacy?

I keep wondering; why Charlottesville? It's hardly an enclave of racist activity, they'd have been better off further south. Richmond comes to mind. :p

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-charlottesville-violence-20170812-story.html

Trump blames 'many sides' for the for the violence in Charlottesville protests.

I wonder if these 'many sides' include the neo-nazis?

I doubt it

I think it was about the R.E. Lee monument that should be removed from it's place?

Yes, it was about Lee. He was pro slavery which was why it was going to be removed.

In other news Trump said this: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-white-supremacists-charlottesville-latest-kkk-neo-nazis-repugnant-response-a7893251.html too little, too late and not even sincere.