Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

I like a rain that washes the humidity out of the air, although we seldom get those …. usually it just makes it worse. But a cold, freezing rain … pah. Wouldn't wish it even on my worst enemies. :D 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I'm groggy in the summer, when it's so hot and humid.

Does this happen only when it's hot and humid?  Or can you pin it down to a particular month or part of a month?

It could be an allergy to the pollen of something that blooms at that time of year or a mold that thrives under those conditions.

Nope, just when it's hot and humid … if by some miracle we get a few nice days in summer, I'm fine. Or if we get hot/humid other times of year, I struggle. All I want to do is sleep, and it's not unusual for me to get migraines. It affects me even if I'm in air conditioning. I hate it.

I do wonder sometimes if there might be an element of depression to it; we live in the woods, and in the summer, when all the trees are leafed out, it is DARK in this house. Winter's cold and bright, so it's generally my best season … except as I age, I'm not enjoying the cold as much as I used to. Phooey.

21 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I like a rain that washes the humidity out of the air, although we seldom get those …. usually it just makes it worse. But a cold, freezing rain … pah. Wouldn't wish it even on my worst enemies. :D 

Your enemy doesn't have a lot to fear XD

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I do wonder sometimes if there might be an element of depression to it; we live in the woods, and in the summer, when all the trees are leafed out, it is DARK in this house. Winter's cold and bright, so it's generally my best season … except as I age, I'm not enjoying the cold as much as I used to.

I deduce that you have to get a pet.

Now I'm amused about how uninspiring and gloomy my house is every time I send my dog to his original home because I need to travel. I don't even bother to hang around the ground floor except to raid the fridge for water. I don't even feel the need to wake up early when usually I'm up at 5. But when he is home, it's lively, I cook (therefore without him my well being in stomach department is questionable too), I run the TV, lights,  I clean and make everything lively, colorful toys are scattered around and fridge is well stocked.

• Like 1

Yah, I do need a pet (well... want one), but circumstances make that unwise at this time. 😞 Although even when I had pets I still had trouble with all the stuff I described above.

Arcadia, how do you feel when you're away from your home and woods (in an urban setting, say) and the weather is hot and muggy?

Could be you have a problem with something that happens in the woods when the weather is hot and muggy -- mold, maybe?  Or some other type of spores?

Possibly. You'd think the A/C would filter that out though  … ? And what I meant by my response above was … I feel just as lousy when there are no trees around. There's other kinds of mold, though, so … possibly. It's not like it's something I can avoid, though.

I used to get shots for my allergies, and those worked pretty well.  I don't much seem to need them now.

4 hours ago, Sheerluck said:

They shoot people for allergies? Seems harsh. We just get jabs. ;)

I'm more impressed that she survived those shots. Way to go!

Jabs are no good, but even wimps should survive it, so you got no sympathy from me. 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You have those days, I know that feel. Here, have a :cowdance:  (I always wonder how my life would be much happier if I see dancing cow in real life)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

My rant for today.

tumblr_ph5w71fKVP1xtreiqo1_1280.jpg

Now I am feeling a bit like Scrooge for ever complaining about such things....  :blush:

• Like 1
  • Tongue 1

It's okay, we all do it sometimes.  I'm pretty sure I was complaining about too-early-decorations being in stores a couple months ago.

But... where else could I complain about that cricket looking at me funny,

and how I despise people taking selfie in public? 

And... and... how the wind is blowing towards wrong direction??

And why my big toe is bigger than my not big toe? Don't they see that the front of the shoes is normally curved?

14 hours ago, Artemis said:

It's okay, we all do it sometimes.  I'm pretty sure I was complaining about too-early-decorations being in stores a couple months ago.

After further thought, I have decided that it's OK to complain about too-early holiday decorations in chain stores, where they're presumably the result of corporate policy rather than some individual's attempt at cheer.  But I shall henceforth endeavor to restrain myself regarding decorations on homes and small family-owned businesses.

I do, however, reserve the right to ridicule those large inflatable Santas, snowmen, etc., when they are deflated during the daytime, like sad puddles on the lawn.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

But... where else could I complain about that cricket looking at me funny....

There, there, that's not a problem.  :patpatpat:  We all need a place to vent regarding sinister crickets.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I do, however, reserve the right to ridicule those large inflatable Santas, snowmen, etc., when they are deflated during the daytime, like sad puddles on the lawn.

Oh god yes. I don't get those things at all!!!! Why are they deflated at all, seems pointless to have them if they spend most of the time looking like yard waste! Rant rant rant....

There's a place a few miles down the road that decorates to the hilt for every holiday and/or season. They have about an acre that they fill with sculptures and lights and animatronics and such. Right now, in addition to the yard "art", they also have a (life size) Santa, his sleigh and all his reindeer on the roof, and an Eiffel Tower on their chimney. It's tacky as heck and I absolutely love it. :D Oh, and their inflatables STAY inflated.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Oh god yes. I don't get those things at all!!!! Why are they deflated at all, seems pointless to have them if they spend most of the time looking like yard waste! Rant rant rant....

At first I thought that they'd been punctured by cats or dogs playing with them.  But then somebody (presumably Alex) pointed out that the air pump needs to be running constantly in order to keep them inflated.  Also, I'm guessing that most people put the pump on the same timer as their holiday lights.  And since those people are at work all day and asleep most of the night, that explains why most inflatables are actually inflated only from roughly dusk till 9 pm.

Sure would be nice if they could put the pump on a separate outlet, so those of us who are alive during the day could enjoy them.  Wonder how much juice it actually takes?

• Thanks 1

They don't hold air, like a balloon? Phooey on 'em.

Last year there was a dragon one. I never did figure out how it tied into Christmas but didn't really care either. It was that cool. :D 

The local park has figures made of lights at Christmas time, and there used to be an animated sea monster in the pond.  :smile: But I haven't seen that one for a few years  :( maybe due to problems with electricity vs water and/or motion vs ice.

Ooooh, I glad you mentioned that, one of the area parks does a huuuuuge lights display … you have to pay for it, but it's worth it. I want to take my mom to see it. Hopefully I will still remember from this point on. :unsure: I know, I'll stick it on my calendar...…. Thnx!