Where is everybody from?

knipplan

Hi everyone!

Another new fan here =). Was introduced to the BBC series by my sister and now I'm completely hooked. This forum seems so friendly and welcoming which I think all the mods should have cred for. 

I've understood that the forum gathers fans from all over the world and curious as I am I'd like to know more specifically where people are from. if there already is a thread for this then I'd love to be directed to it. And I'm from Sweden myself =)

• Like 5

That is such a great idea for a thread, knipplan, and you've written such a good intro for it, that I've taken the liberty of changing the name of this thread (and pinned it so it'll be easy to find).  Thanks for getting it started!

I am from Indiana, USA, as it says beneath my avatar picture.  (For anyone who'd like to display their own location, I'll post how to do it as soon as I find it again!)  Specifically, I'm from central Indiana, and for anyone who's not sure where that is, I live about 200 miles (300 km) southeast of Chicago.  Hope that helps!

OK -- where is everybody else from?

• Like 1

Yes, it is indeed a wonderful idea for a thread.

200 miles? That country really is quite big.

I am from Denmark and live just above the border we share with Germany.

It is nice to see fellow Scandinavians on the forum, Knipplan.

• Like 1

Aha!  It's right where I thought it was, I just hadn't scrolled down far enough.

To display your location beneath your avatar picture, click on your user name at the upper right of any forum page, then click My Settings on the dropdown menu.  Scroll down almost to the bottom of the Settings page, and you'll find a nice box for Location, so type that in.  While you're there, see if there's anything else you'd like to add or change.  Then scroll even further down and click Save Changes.  That's it -- each of your posts (even ones you've already made) will now display your location!

• Like 1

200 miles? That country really is quite big.

Even though Chicago is in Illinois, it's just across the state line from one corner of Indiana -- so the 200 miles is basically the diagonal distance across half of Indiana, which is a medium-small state (the size of Portugal).  The entire US has about the same land area as Europe.

I'm from Liverpool, UK, home of the Beatles (I'm from that part of Liverpool).

If you are from Liverpool you generally refer to yourself as Scouse or a Scouser, which is why my location says Scouseland. Many of us don't regard ourselves as English primarily, but Scouse. I'm fairly typical of a white Liverpool resident and I'm part Irish and Welsh as well as English.

Scouse is a strange word for an English accent/people as it is thought to be of Norwegian derivation. Scouse is also a type of meat stew...

• Like 1

/>The entire US has about the same land area as Europe.

Does that not make it hard to feel connected to people in the other end of the country? To feel united?

I am from Bristol, England. The city where the swimming pool in which the Sherlock season 1 finalé was filmed is located. Among some other locations from the show.

• Like 1

/> The entire US has about the same land area as Europe.

Does that not make it hard to feel connected to people in the other end of the country? To feel united?

To a certain extent, yes. There are regional variations in language, customs, and of course topography and climate. But most people in the US speak (more or less) the same language, which helps considerably. There are national newspapers and television networks. And perhaps most important, we can travel freely between states, so there's a good bit of mixing (I've lived on both the east coast and the west coast, for example).

I am from Bristol, England. The city where the swimming pool in which the Sherlock season 1 finalé was filmed is located. Among some other locations from the show.

Which reminds me, once things Stop Happening around our house, I honestly will post some photos from the lovely tour of Bristol that Undead Medic and Banshee gave Alex & me in May -- including the infamous pool and a location where they had already filmed a very dramatic scene for Series 3.

Bet you got a chuckle when the M*A*S*H television show introduced an upper-crust character with the unlikely name of Donald Penobscot.

/> The entire US has about the same land area as Europe.

We are united by our common and very short (compared to yours) history.  But we've had our share of divisiveness, also.  Texas would probably be it's own country if you left it up to certain kinds of Texans! 

Some people in the southern states would be happy to secede again.  But in the end, The United States exists primarily in the Constitution, in an idea and an ideal of freedom.  Constantly under attack and always in need of defense.  One flag.  In other words, we might fight amongst ourselves like the biggest dysfunctional family on earth, but you don't mess with my fellow Americans. 

I am a Coloradan recently transplanted to the east coast.  I live in a small beach town on the coast of Rhode Island, the smallest state in the union.

• Like 1

... we might fight amongst ourselves like the biggest dysfunctional family on earth, but you don't mess with my fellow Americans.

Great way of putting it!

• Like 1

Like I said before in my own Intorducing-thread, I come from Savonlinna, Finland. It's 43rd largest city in Finland, so yeah we are kinda big

Hey, according to Wikipedia, you are now the 40th largest city in Finland! You're moving up!

250px-Savonlinna2.jpg

• Like 1

Woah did I not look at the "Introduce Yourself Here" forum at all when I first joined?! Anyway...

I'm from Cambridge, UK which is a couple (ok quite a lot more but I'm not sure how much) of miles north of London. About 100 miles? No idea. Google Maps also doesn't seen to really work on my phone, which is not helping.

P.S. Carol so you've met Undead Medic and Banshee? (Or am I interpreting that really wrong?) That's awesome!

Woah did I not look at the "Introduce Yourself Here" forum at all when I first joined?! Anyway...

I'm from Cambridge, UK which is a couple (ok quite a lot more but I'm not sure how much) of miles north of London. About 100 miles? No idea. Google Maps also doesn't seen to really work on my phone, which is not helping.

It's about 50 miles or 80k.  48 minutes by train to King's Cross. 

• Like 1

P.S. Carol so you've met Undead Medic and Banshee? (Or am I interpreting that really wrong?) That's awesome!

Yes, I have, and Aely too!

I've posted photos on The Look Who I Met Thread, where you'll also find photos of forum members with Louise Brealey and Steven Moffat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! :)

I'm from Leicester (pronounced like 'Lester') in England. If you don't know where that is, it's in a part of England known as the East Midlands, so pretty much in the middle eastern part of England. It's not far from Birmingham and Nottingham (about 45 minutes away from each). 

Well, I'm actually from a little town called Syston, which is about half an hour outside of Leicester. So I'm from Leicestershire, really :D

Thanks for the geography lesson, Liselle!  I already had a rough idea of where Birmingham is, but my only prior knowledge of Nottingham is from the Robin Hood stories (which may be slightly out of date).

You're welcome! :)

Hahaha; yes, if you say Nottingham everyone will think of Robin Hood :) Although there are a lot of theories that state he was actually from Sheffield... though don't say anything to people from Nottingham; they're a bit protective of him :D

Also... Moi Leimasin! Puhun vähän Suomea :D (I'm also going to Finland for the first time ever in a few weeks time, with a friend. But I don't know how to say that in Finnish... :( )

Moi Leimasin! Puhun vähän Suomea :D

I take it that's Finnish, but just realized that I probably don't know one single word of that language! :huh:   (Though I do know a few words of Swedish and Norwegian, mostly food related.)  Translation?

Hahaha :D It is indeed Finnish! At least I hope... :unsure: I'm trying to learn it. My friends and I have a mini obsession with Finland (long story) and this holiday we're going on is something we've been trying for years to do, so I want to learn the language to at least a basic level before we go. Plus I'm a languages geek (I have a degree in French and Spanish) and I can't bear the thought of going to a country and not knowing at least a few words :D

I'm hoping that what I said was "Hi Leimasin! I speak a little bit of Finnish" :)

• Like 2