• 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

A Thread for the discussion of Episode 3 "His Last Vow."

Please rate the episode using the poll and discuss the episode below.

The consulting detective's latest case sees him coming up against the master blackmailer Charles Augustus Magnussen - the one man he truly despises.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to discuss multiple new episodes in a single post, please post it in the thread for the latest of the relevant episodes.  Otherwise, people who have seen only "The Empty Hearse," for example, may inadvertently see a "Last Vow" spoiler while reading the "Empty Hearse" thread.

Those of us in delayed countries thank you!  :D

• Like 1

Just in case any of you in the UK didn't hear the voice-over with the closing credits of the second episode -- "His Last Vow" will be aired on Sunday, January 12th at 8:30 pm GMT.

• Like 1

The same to you, Gemma, and everyone else! The spoilers have nearly driven me crazy; I can't imagine what it will be like to actually watch the episode tonight. Also, I haven't emotionally recovered from the last episode

Sherlock's loneliness still makes me sad

Oh... I have to admit it makes me kind of happy, actually. Happy-sad.

(I mean, he's not really alone, is he. He has an absolutely awesome best friend, his perfectly lovely wife, an adoring beautiful loyal admirer in Molly and an ally at the police who will commandeer helicopters at a moment's notice just because he used the word "please" in a text message. Oh, and a landlady who makes his tea appear magically every morning and scolds him if he lets his food get cold. And a big brother to get him out of any really tight situations. Really, Sherlock must be one of the most loved fictional people ever - and not just by his fans!)

• Like 1

Don't want to say too much in this thread in case people overseas haven't seen the eps, so...

Those things are all true (loved Lestrade rushing to help Sherlock, bless!) but the end of The Sign of Three does make me sad. It's a sad image, seeing him walk away on his own :-(

Don't want to say too much in this thread in case people overseas haven't seen the eps, so...

Oooops! So sorry! Thanks for the reminder, have gone back and spoiler-boxed my last ramble. Sorry again!

Oh... I have to admit it makes me kind of happy, actually. Happy-sad.

(I mean, he's not really alone, is he. He has an absolutely awesome best friend, his perfectly lovely wife, an adoring beautiful loyal admirer in Molly and an ally at the police who will commandeer helicopters at a moment's notice just because he used the word "please" in a text message. Oh, and a landlady who makes his tea appear magically every morning and scolds him if he lets his food get cold. And a big brother to get him out of any really tight situations. Really, Sherlock must be one of the most loved fictional people ever - and not just by his fans!)

All of that is completely true, of course. He's a very fortunate man. Yet

it does feel like the end of an era, doesn't it? Like crossing a big treshold in one's life. Opportunities are spread out in front of you, but there's also the sadness of saying goodbye to what has been.

I'm also really hooked on emotional drama, and I get melancholical very easily :)

Oooops! So sorry! Thanks for the reminder, have gone back and spoiler-boxed my last ramble. Sorry again!

I've done the same... thanks for the inadvertent reminder ;)

All of that is completely true, of course. He's a very fortunate man. Yet

it does feel like the end of an era, doesn't it? Like crossing a big treshold in one's life. Opportunities are spread out in front of you, but there's also the sadness of saying goodbye to what has been.

I'm also really hooked on emotional drama, and I get melancholical very easily :)

Well, I think Sherlock was probably the only one who got it right when he said to Mrs Hudson at the beginning that nothing more was really happening then two people who already lived together having a party and going on a short holiday, then continue living together. Of course, the baby would change things. A man who just became a father definitely would have less time to run around London after murderers. So end of an era is right, I guess. But not in a terribly sad way, if you ask me. And children grow up eventually.

Anyway, who knows what will happen tonight - I have a feeling Sherlock will have a lot graver things to worry about soon!

Just over four hours. I'm not ready. And not just because I haven't got all my work done for tomorrow... I'm not ready emotionally! The box of tissues may be next to the sofa, but... eek. I'm going to be a wreck afterwards  :wacko:

I'm still completely calm. But it's because I won't see it until tomorrow evening. Though I can clearly see myself at this time tomorrow totally freaking out :D

I am starting to freak out. Think I'm going to be in even more of a state then when I watched TRF. And I HATE Magnusson. I mean, Moriarty did awful things, but he was a brilliant colour that I loved watching... Magnusson just gives me the creeps.  :(

• Like 2

I am starting to freak out. Think I'm going to be in even more of a state then when I watched TRF.

At least that can't happen for me. Because this time, I know Sherlock will come out of whatever happens alive and there will be a series 4. So no way this evening can become the same kind of roller coaster ride as The Reichenbach Fall without any prior information other than what story it was based on was.

As long as Sherlock is still around by the end of whatever happens, I think I'll be fine. And no matter what trouble they've written him into, they have at least 3 more episodes (and we have at least a year of speculation and conjecture) to get him out again.

All will be well... I firmly hope.

I am starting to freak out. Think I'm going to be in even more of a state then when I watched TRF. And I HATE Magnusson. I mean, Moriarty did awful things, but he was a brilliant colour that I loved watching... Magnusson just gives me the creeps.  :(

Well, I'm really looking forward to finally see Magnussen. And I hope he's going to be at least as good as Moriarty. I mean, I really enjoyed the last two episodes but it's about time we had a proper baddie again :) But that doesn't mean that I want him to hurt any of my favourite characters  :wacko:

Well, I'm really looking forward to finally see Magnussen. And I hope he's going to be at least as good as Moriarty. I mean, I really enjoyed the last two episodes but it's about time we had a proper baddie again :) But that doesn't mean that I want him to hurt any of my favourite characters  :wacko:

I know. I'm very scared for all these people I care about! And even though I know Sherlock won't die, he's obviously going to be hurt emotionally or physically or both, and I'm just not prepared to see that  :(

I don't think I could possibly be prepared emotionally... I'll just have to let it sweep over me, and I'll probably be wrecked in just about 3 ½ hours. My mind is exploding with all the speculation and teasers for this episode... there's so much to look forward to, and so much to dread.

I am very excited about the new villain, a fellow countryman of mine, though this is actually the first role I will see him in, which is kind of funny/strange.

I cannot even speculate about the things to happen; I'm just waiting for the episode to start.

I have to be up so early tomorrow morning and I just know I'm not going to be able to sleep much tonight! Why can't Sherlock be on Friday nights, so I could have a lie-in the next morning?!

• Like 1

I hate this wait. I can't wait to see Charles, he'll probably be the opposite to the livewire that was Andrew Scott's Moriarty. Mother is looking forward to watching the episode as well. Even if I did have to remind her what happened last week.

I'm certain I'm not emotionally prepared. I don't know if I can be.

Welcome to the forum, Sherlock'sScarf! And, join the club :) None of us are prepared, I imagine. We'll just have to rant about the episode here when it's finished. Yikes, I'm getting excited! Sort of nervous-excited.

• Like 1