The Cute Animal Pics/Videos Thread

Caya

Border collies are consistently rated the smartest dog, but since the criteria seems to be how trainable and obedient they are, I tend to take that with a grain of salt. Why isn't the most independent dog the smartest one? Or the cuddliest? Why is intelligence based on getting them to do what their humans want, rather than what the dogs themselves want? Seems biased to me ... :p

That reminds me of the last book I read that I considered any good: "Are we smart enough to know how smart animals are?" It's written by a primatologist. Lots of hilarious ape anecdotes in there but also really interesting info and new perspectives on the whole concept of intelligence.

• Like 3

Border collies are consistently rated the smartest dog, but since the criteria seems to be how trainable and obedient they are, I tend to take that with a grain of salt. Why isn't the most independent dog the smartest one? Or the cuddliest? Why is intelligence based on getting them to do what their humans want, rather than what the dogs themselves want? Seems biased to me ... :p

I agree, not all but mostly.

In one of the training video I saw is that particular Border Collie manages to understand combination of verb and noun, which is impressive enough.

However, I would say that the 'metro' strays that learn to commute daily in Moscow is amazing.

Wait.. is that street smart vs book smart :p?

I also admire guide dogs and most service dogs. :wub:

Comfort dogs.. all dogs are comfort dogs. Why do we deserve them?

• Like 4

That's what I said every time the neighbor's dog started to bark (for hours on end) ... why do we deserve this? 

It got so bad that we actually called the police to see if anything could be done about it. This particular day, the dog had been barking, non-stop, all morning. A nice young policeman came out to the house, explaining that he had to hear it for himself before he could take action ... and the exact moment he pulled into our driveway, the cursed cur stopped barking. The cop was lovely; he waited around for a good 20 minutes to see if the dog would bark again, telling us stories about his work. But the beast never cooperated. It didn't bark again until the next day, and we just gave up; what was the point in pestering the police if the animal was going to shut up every time they were around? I can't remember how or when, but eventually ... after many long, tiresome months ... it stopped being a problem.

But I will concede that some dogs are comforting. :P

zLpiqpr.jpg

• Like 2

I was looking for ultimate puppy eyes to remove all the doubts you might still have, but ended up laughing my a** off for this dog's 'hairstyle'.

images-20.jpg

Bahahhaa sniff.. I'm immature.

• Like 1

Who's that actress who has that awful hairstyle like a too short bob? Actually she might be a presenter or writer or something. Not Anna Wintour. Hm, can't remember. Grey hair. 

I know who you mean, but can't think of the name either. 

Poor dog, s/he looks like s/he knows s/he's always being laughed at.

Could be worse, though...

qXM8t1e.jpg

• Like 2

What's that? It's nearly home time?

a9cee32bb3aa171b1d8a6d5f1a3cdf86.gif

I can't tell if that thing is running to the left, or to the right. ?? Or, for that matter, why that method of locomotion even works...

What's that? It's nearly home time?

a9cee32bb3aa171b1d8a6d5f1a3cdf86.gif

I can't tell if that thing is running to the left, or to the right. ?? Or, for that matter, why that method of locomotion even works...

Initially I would say to the right, but I can see how to the left could be an option.

It's making me a little queasy, but I can't decide if that's because it keeps running left, then right, then left ... or if it's because that critter is so bizarre looking. Like a stomach with tentacles. Ooog.

• Like 2

I think it's running left going by the direction of it's head. Not sure if you realised it's an octopus? It's gathered up most of it's legs (arms?), which is why it also looks like it has a moustache. 

• Like 1

So it has its other arms curled up in front of its face, instead of on it's backside? Now I'm even more repelled. :smile:

It also doesn't help that it's a short loop so the back and forth action becomes inevitable making it harder to decide which direction it's actually going.

• Like 1